Food for Sunday's Game

23 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I hit up the Erie Wegman’s when I am in Erie, PA  and go with a huge cooler. Buy them out of all the Zweigle’s and Hoffman’s white hots and stock pile them for a full 1-2 years. I am down to my last three dogs! 

Who you going to scare with three dogs? That’s hardly a snack! 

5 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Now, I was under the impression you foil during the smoking process to help get over that stall. I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs.

I do appreciate all the responses. I also struggle with a fully wood side smoker to keep the temp low for long periods of time. I feel like I roller coaster between 250-300 the entire smoke.

Shoot for 225-250 with an 8lbs shoulder. Foil at the last 2 hours and the cooler is your friend. I run BBQ for a farm gathering and it definitely works.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Now, I was under the impression you foil during the smoking process to help get over that stall. I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs.

I do appreciate all the responses. I also struggle with a fully wood side smoker to keep the temp low for long periods of time. I feel like I roller coaster between 250-300 the entire smoke.

you gotta go pellet. steady as she goes and consistent temps

BTW these are my very favorite threads during Football season ! well done folks

oops

i mean medium rare 

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Pineapple pizza and garlic Parmesan wings. 

WTF????? Is this dude really allowed to run the TBD tailgates? Just admit  you do unmentionable things to your signed TB12 poster, and bow out gracefully

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Never heard of a “stall” on pork butt or shoulder. Brisket yes, but pork seems to climb gradually. 

I am guessing the crock pot does not tell you when the stall is occurring

• Haha (+1) 2

I'll be on the Oregon coast this weekend (will watch the game on the iPad, via Reddit) at Netarts Bay, eating some of these freshly caught beauties!

Oregon+Coast+Netarts+Crabbing.jpg

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Fried food Fiesta!

Wings, Pizza Logs, Cheese Sticks, Jalapeño Poppers, fresh cut French Fries, and possibly Shrimp &/or Chicken Fries. 

And then fresh veggies w/ a couple of bottles of Marie's Super Blue Cheese.

Haven't decided on the beer du jour yet.

Good thing the cholesterol test was last month.  Should have time to get it back down close to 200 by the next one! :)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Shoulder and Boston butt are same thing unless you’re buying from a butcher & specifically getting a picnic 

I do, usually.   My butcher sells butts and picnic shoulders.  I prefer butts for pulled pork.  Even in my supermarket they distinguish the two.  

I found this online which seems to agree with me, but other sites seem to agree with you.  

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/1214-the-difference-between-pork-butt-and-pork-shoulder

5 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I do, usually.   My butcher sells butts and picnic shoulders.  I prefer butts for pulled pork.  Even in my supermarket they distinguish the two.  

I found this online which seems to agree with me, but other sites seem to agree with you.  

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/1214-the-difference-between-pork-butt-and-pork-shoulder

BTW, love that collection of sites

i almost always use butts for pulled pork, but there is one recipe i have used that calls for the "picnic" or shoulder as you say. The big difference on that is because of the much bigger fat cap, at the end of the smoke you remove the cap whole, put it on foil and broil it to get the cracklins, mix that back in with the pulled meat..and oh boy is that awesome! Recipe actually calls for a fresh ham to do that with, but those about impossible to find even here in VA..so I substitute the picnic. Just takes a few hours longer than the ham.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8968-south-carolina-smoked-fresh-ham?extcode=MASKD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

I also use the picnic for this Pork Pernil recipe..and this is the bomb! This is awesome for Sunday dinner after a day of watching games, especially in early fall when still warm out. Serve with some black beans and rice and it may be your new favorite way to do pork roast

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7453-pork-pernil

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, love that collection of sites

i almost always use butts for pulled pork, but there is one recipe i have used that calls for the "picnic" or shoulder as you say. The big difference on that is because of the much bigger fat cap, at the end of the smoke you remove the cap whole, put it on foil and broil it to get the cracklins, mix that back in with the pulled meat..and oh boy is that awesome! Recipe actually calls for a fresh ham to do that with, but those about impossible to find even here in VA..so I substitute the picnic. Just takes a few hours longer than the ham.

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8968-south-carolina-smoked-fresh-ham?extcode=MASKD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

I also use the picnic for this Pork Pernil recipe..and this is the bomb! This is awesome for Sunday dinner after a day of watching games, especially in early fall when still warm out. Serve with some black beans and rice and it may be your new favorite way to do pork roast

https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/7453-pork-pernil

latest?cb=20121205194537

Mmmmm, pernil.....