NFL Wk 1 Power Rankings (by Doug Farrar, MSN Sports)

Yeah, it does sound about right. Says the pieces are in place for a good team if Allen steps up. If he makes significant strides this year the Bills are a legit playoff contender. If not, they'll flounder around the 7 to 8 win mark.

I believe we'll be right in the mix for the playoffs come week 17.

Every time I think the Pats might be on the verge of going downhill, I look at the other three teams in the division.  This year in particular the Pats will probably go 5-1 in the AFCE.  That's a huge benefit for any team trying to make the playoffs with a high seed.  They only need to go 6-4 against the rest of the league to land at 11-5 and a first round bye.  

Let's see how things go for the Bills on Sep 29, at home against the Pats.  I honestly have no idea what their record will be going into that game.

• Like (+1) 1

Seem's about right.  Pats are #1 until Brady falls of the cliff and the Fins will suck.  I think you could make the case that the Bills and Jets both should be higher based on how each team improved over the off season.... but at the same time, I get it.  We're talking 6 and 4 win teams last year.  Hard to bump them up too much when other teams also made improvements, on paper.

Relative to the Jets, I'm OK with the ranking.  I think we're very evenly matched with the Jets going into the season.  Yes, they have a lot of new pieces and players in that organization, but they have strength on their D-line, QB and RB.  My non expert opinions is that Darnold is going to do very well this year and "will" the Jets to some victories- just like he did in the 4th quarter last year against us.  He's was consistently more refined as a passer than Allen was and I expect that to continue being the case.  HOWEVER, I still have very high expectations for Allen but think it will take him a little longer to get "there"- which I think he will.  His ceiling is very high.  I think Allen starts the season a little slow given all our new pieces on offense, but starts lighting things up around the 2nd half of the season.

Long term, the Bills & Jets and Bills should both be perennial playoff contenders over the next 10+ years with Josh and Sam under center. 

Edited by saundena

7 minutes ago, saundena said:

Long term, the Bills & Jets and Bills should both be perennial playoff contenders over the next 10+ years with Josh and Sam under center 

You would think, but until the Jets get stable management and a coach that is better than Gase, I'm putting the all stop on my Allen/Darnold challenging for the AFC East. Their mismanagement has left them very vulnerable on offensive line, making the signing of LeVeon Bell a complete waste of money. I have no faith in Gase to make it a competitive battle... so Josh Allen has a prime opportunity to make the Bills dominant while Darnold is hampered. 

14 hours ago, MDH said:

Yeah, it does sound about right. Says the pieces are in place for a good team if Allen steps up. If he makes significant strides this year the Bills are a legit playoff contender. If not, they'll flounder around the 7 to 8 win mark.

I do get this feeling that Barkley would have this team in the playoffs and with Allen it might be a struggle.  Interesting to see how much of a step he takes from last year.

4 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I do get this feeling that Barkley would have this team in the playoffs and with Allen it might be a struggle.  Interesting to see how much of a step he takes from last year.

I do get this feeling that the only time you've ever seen Barkley play was last year vs. the Jets and against 2nd/3rd team defenses in the preseason.

16 hours ago, MDH said:

that's just it; a 6-10 team doesn't flounder to 7-8 wins; that's improvement....