Power Tool Brands

Mark80

Honestly, all of the new Milwaukee stuff is amazing. I'm in the car business, and a lot of guys are going to Milwaukee because the quality is damn close to Snap-On at a fraction of the price.. and you can get it at Lowes/Home Depot.

• Like (+1) 1

My Dewalt tools have held up really well.  I also agree that Ryobi products are pretty good.  The only cordless tool I buy is the drill and impact.  

My biggest beef with these companies is their planned obsoletion through changing the battery pack design for every new cordless line.  That's why I'll buy a corded jig, circular, etc.  

For battery powered, I have several Milwaukee M18 tools.  Very happy w/ them.  I've used them side by side against Dewalt & think they're superior.  For corded, I have a mix.  I have a few Makita tools that are still going strong after over 30 yrs.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that the Ryobi One line provides the best combination of build, value & versatility for the average homeowner.

Surprised no one mentioned Harbor Freight in this discussion ?   I find them passable in the disposable power tools discussion.  

8 minutes ago, GG said:

I think that the Ryobi One line provides the best combination of build, value & versatility for the average homeowner.

Surprised no one mentioned Harbor Freight in this discussion ?   I find them passable in the disposable power tools discussion.  

I've never been to a Harbor Freight, but your description is how I understand what they are ... a place that sells crap tools.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've never been to a Harbor Freight, but your description is how I understand what they are ... a place that sells crap tools.

They have now evolved to offer 3 kinds of power tools - disposable, capable and decent versions.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You don't seem to be able to distinguish between entry level, consumer grade tools, high end consumer grade tools, and high end professional tools meant for people who use those tools all day every day to earn a living.

Do you think the OP is looking to buy professional grade tools? 

I think OP and everyone who works with their hands, however often, would appreciate VALUE in tools. That's where price meets quality at some happy personally defined medium. That's what I was expressing to OP in that chart. 

Are you upset that I called DeWalt crap? I own DeWalt tools and I've bought them before. They're generally cheap reliable crap and I'm using that term fondly...one of SBD's 'better' brands. Don't take it personally; imo most stuff is crap. My current best 'tools' are a 50 year old Wilton bench vice, a set of SK wrenches, a 2000 Ford 350 w/the 7.3l PowerStroke, a Hobart 230 MIG that's CLEARLY superior (for whatever reason) to a similarly sized Lincoln that crapped out on me...and right next to it an old Lincoln buzzbox. The point being is that there aren't really distinguishing levels as I was trying to humorously point out in my comment- there is VERY little difference in performance per price (value) between what brands you would call 'entry level' or 'consumer grade' or 'high end consumer grade' (DeWalt Makita Bosch Milwaukee Ryobi Rigid etc)...trust me. You can either spend the time and money to personally test, over many many hours, what's best (if that's worth it to you or what you do, if I'm buying something to work with most of the time I'm going to be using it a lot and I'll get top of the line stuff), or you do what most people do which is research what tools you need and try to make an informed buy; the tool companies have wisely set things up to where that's usually going to satisfy 99% of the population looking to purchase a tool of some sort.

59 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Tried one. It quit before the job was finished.

30 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I bet you had to keep paying for that $#%!er too. 

I'm sure you learned your lesson and didn't replace him with an even BIGGER tool .... right????

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm sure you learned your lesson and didn't replace him with an even BIGGER tool .... right????

Yeah, and that one just made a mess of the job site. Got dumped before the warranty expired.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

I got a set of battery powered Kobalt tools(Lowes) last winter.  It was a deal where you got a 4 piece set and got a tool free.  They are brushless...whatever the heck that means.  lol  Charged the batteries 6 months ago, and haven't used them once. (I think it's a regular drill, impact drill, circular saw, flashlight and something else).  lol

I'm sure for my needs, they will last me longer than the point in time where I won't need tools anymore.

22 hours ago, GG said:

They have now evolved to offer 3 kinds of power tools - disposable, capable and decent versions.

There are videos out there showing some test/comparisons of their power tools vs some of the more expensive name brands and they actually hold up well in most cases

We have a similar place up here called Princess Auto, I have a bunch of things from there that aren't bad as long as you go I to it knowing your not getting contractor grade stuff. Plus its great for things like tool boxes (They carry alot of military type surplus boxes), tool organizers, and tarps, etc.

If it wasn't for places like that I would own an electric jack hammer or drywall lift......

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I got a set of battery powered Kobalt tools(Lowes) last winter.  It was a deal where you got a 4 piece set and got a tool free.  They are brushless...whatever the heck that means.  lol  Charged the batteries 6 months ago, and haven't used them once. (I think it's a regular drill, impact drill, circular saw, flashlight and something else).  lol

I'm sure for my needs, they will last me longer than the point in time where I won't need tools anymore.

The brushless motors are probably a waste of money if you don’t use them a ton...basically free torque and longer life of the motor but not worth the extra $ imo