Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

Over 90 million dollars next year......what to do

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Can't extend either Foster or Wallace until after the 2020 season at the earliest.

 

 

Whoops. I saw them on Spotrac and didn't see the ERFA designation. I will remove. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mango said:

 

 

Whoops. I saw them on Spotrac and didn't see the ERFA designation. I will remove. 

 

No worries...I tend to get lost in who can and can't get new contracts myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

I think folks are misreading me re: Edmunds.  I think he'll be a very good MLB. I also think that he will have far greater value if he's allowed to move around the defense and play on the EDGE at least as much as in the middle.

 

 

I just think that a lesser player can do what is asked of a MLB, and that he can do much more than what most LBs are capable of.

 

My. Word. Guys.

 

I didn't knock Edmunds. At all.

 

I've explained why we would do this multiple times.  EDGE players have, to a man, more value than MLBs, and Edmunds is capable of making more plays than your typical MLB who stays in the funnel.

What I am voicing is I believe that IN THIS PARTICULAR defense......a pass coverage linebacker is ultra important.

 

You may agree or not...that is my opinion...:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't expect a big spending spree. But I do think they target one big ticket item and another starting caliber player along with their usual depth signings. I don't foresee 2-3 big ticket players along with 2 or more starters. I do think that the team starts to take care of their own players like Dawkins and Tre if they both turn in strong seasons and resigning Shaq if he has a good year.

 

Given the WR draft is projected to be strong I think they roll with Brown and Beasley and draft a WR round 1 (possibly even trading up to do so) I think they also spend big on the edge rush as even if Shaq has a great year you still need to move Hughes into a situational role (and I don't foresee Shaq having a breakout.) I could also see the team signing another starting caliber O-line or tight end depending on how those positions shake out. 

 

Overall I think the agenda next off-season will be to add a big time pass rusher, take care of their own players in need of extensions , add a starting caliber supporting piece to the offense, and draft a big time WR. I think they want to keep cap flexibility to retain their own players longer term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of one year contracts which is what these guys like, I think that continues.  But there will be holes, no need to spend just to spend in FA, that has been proven to not be a good strategy.  Spend judiciously, extend where appropriate and draft well......and oh yeah give Josh Allen all the help (not necesarily other players) he needs to succeed.

Edited by mattynh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Can't extend either Foster or Wallace until after the 2020 season at the earliest.

 

And I think he should play in the middle; I just think he should play elsewhere too is all.  You can probably effectively combine the LB role that he and LorAx are playing currently and hand that to Edmunds--that's how talented he is...the only practical change would be that Edmunds plays outside when there are 3 LBs on the field.  And it's because of how good Edmunds is, not any type of deficiency.

 

It's fine if other folks don't want to move him, but I'm a bit surprised at the level of vitriol from the mere suggestion that he can be put to better use.

Heres what I believe you’re missing in your vision of how he should be used. He’s the Defensive Captain. He will be on the field EVERY play he’s healthy enough to play. That can’t be said for either OLB position in certain situations. He already rushes the passer from the edge -think Bear Sack over the Tackle from Miami. I get that it’s fun to dream of other situations individually, but being surprised at vitriol that he isn’t be used to your perceived maximum reeks of arrogant cluelessness. Frazier & McDermott have about 40 years of combined NFL Defensive Coaching. The difference; you ‘think’ he can be put to better use. They know they’re maximizing his potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Heres what I believe you’re missing in your vision of how he should be used. He’s the Defensive Captain. He will be on the field EVERY play he’s healthy enough to play. That can’t be said for either OLB position in certain situations. He already rushes the passer from the edge -think Bear Sack over the Tackle from Miami. I get that it’s fun to dream of other situations individually, but being surprised at vitriol that he isn’t be used to your perceived maximum reeks of arrogant cluelessness. Frazier & McDermott have about 40 years of combined NFL Defensive Coaching. The difference; you ‘think’ he can be put to better use. They know they’re maximizing his potential.

 

I'll accept arrogant, but clueless I'm not :lol:

 

Yes, his steamrolling of Miami's LT in week 17 is a great example of what he can do on the EDGE.  And no, I'm actually not missing that at all. As I said in my last post: he shouldn't leave the field.  I just believe that he can play outside more and have more chances to impact the game.

 

Truthfully it doesn't matter, because they aren't going to ask me for my opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

 

I'll accept arrogant, but clueless I'm not :lol:

 

Yes, his steamrolling of Miami's LT in week 17 is a great example of what he can do on the EDGE.  And no, I'm actually not missing that at all. As I said in my last post: he shouldn't leave the field.  I just believe that he can play outside more and have more chances to impact the game.

 

Truthfully it doesn't matter, because they aren't going to ask me for my opinions.

Isn't the best and most important LB on Carolina - their true difference maker - the MLB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dave mcbride said:

Isn't the best and most important LB on Carolina - their true difference maker - the MLB?

 

Absolutely he's their best LB.  And Edmunds is Buffalo's best chance to have a dynamic LB.

 

IMO, the most impactful defenders on the field are stud pass rushers and stud corners; they're the guys that typically can make the game-changing plays most often because of the role they're asked to play.  If I've got my choice, I want Edmunds to have more chances to make such plays, which means putting him in more situations to rush the passer.

 

Don't get me wrong, I still want him to play MLB...and to do it a lot.  I just think that the upside of letting him rush the passer from the EDGE on, say, 35% of his defensive snaps outweighs the drop off at MLB that you'd see between him and a guy like Stanford/Vosean on those same 35% of the team's defensive snaps.

'

But I've said my piece on that, and I'm starting to derail the thread topic, so I'll let those be my closing remarks on that particular viewpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Absolutely he's their best LB.  And Edmunds is Buffalo's best chance to have a dynamic LB.

 

IMO, the most impactful defenders on the field are stud pass rushers and stud corners; they're the guys that typically can make the game-changing plays most often because of the role they're asked to play.  If I've got my choice, I want Edmunds to have more chances to make such plays, which means putting him in more situations to rush the passer.

 

Don't get me wrong, I still want him to play MLB...and to do it a lot.  I just think that the upside of letting him rush the passer from the EDGE on, say, 35% of his defensive snaps outweighs the drop off at MLB that you'd see between him and a guy like Stanford/Vosean on those same 35% of the team's defensive snaps.

'

But I've said my piece on that, and I'm starting to derail the thread topic, so I'll let those be my closing remarks on that particular viewpoint.

Yeah, I usually agree with all of this except for Kuechly. But he's truly unique - one of the best players of the decade at any position and just phenomenal in pass coverage. Edmunds will never be as good as Kuechly in that area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Draft or FA priorities:

- #1 WR

- CBs

- Trent Murphy extension or replacement

- Finish OL if needed

- DL depth

 

There are a few other lesser priorities like another RB, but those are what I have.  There is some real money needed to do that, but we have plenty.  More than enough.   Here’s a link to a useful multi year view of contracts:

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

 

Wow, that FA list of WRs is either older or underwhelming.

 

I'd easily replace Murphy with either Daniels or Irvin. 

 

Lots of good CBs to be available.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sign whichever WR the Bengals let go between Boyd and Green

Sign one of the following EDGE players: Clowney, Ngakoue, Fowler, Beasley, Von Miller (if his option isn't picked up), C. Jones (if released for cap reasons), Campbell (if released for cap reasons)

Sign Tre White to an extension

IIRC, Boyd was extended this off season.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

 

In Order

 

Re-sign Poyer (will be going into last year of Deal next year)

 

Look at Re-signing depending on their play this year

Jordan Phillips

Alexander

Lawson

 

Then Sign

Yannick Ngakoue

Amari Cooper

 

 

I love Lo' but he's WAY too old to worry about re-signing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ Green. Pull out the red carpet for him, pay him well. Other than that I feel this FA class is weak. Tre and Milano need to be extended as well. Re-sign the productive players we’ve drafted but once again AJ Green would be phenomenal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

All joking aside, Benjamin went unsigned and may well be out of the league for good. He's only 28.

The way he ran routes and put effort in he will be taking orders at Popeyes for chicken sandwiches pretty soon. That’s the only route he will be running

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Over 90 million dollars

Beane making trades and drafting like a wizard

 

How should we spend the money?

 

hard to say right now but maybe a DE n WR.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

AJ Green. Pull out the red carpet for him, pay him well. Other than that I feel this FA class is weak. Tre and Milano need to be extended as well. Re-sign the productive players we’ve drafted but once again AJ Green would be phenomenal.

 

 

I would say that signing a 32 year old WR to big money is not in Beane's plans at all.

Bengals HC tweeted Green could miss 6 games to start the season.  He's been injured a lot lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

I would say that signing a 32 year old WR to big money is not in Beane's plans at all.

Bengals HC tweeted Green could miss 6 games to start the season.  He's been injured a lot lately.

Even if we get him for 10-12 games a year, that’s 10 or 12 games that Allen has a legit bonafide superstar as his first read. I think it’s worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

 

The absolute earliest that he can be signed to a new contract is March of 2021 in accordance with the current CBA (and I doubt that'll change with a new CBA).

 

His rookie deal runs through the completion of the 2021 season, but the team can pick up his 5th year option for 2022, which would be a one-year extension equal in amount to the average of the top-10 QB salaries in 2022.  Of course, they could tag him twice after that as well.

 

How did the cowboys extent Elliott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, artmalibu said:

 

How did the cowboys extent Elliott 

 

He completed 3 full seasons.

 

Josh won't have completed 3 full seasons until the completion of the 2020 league year, which happens in March 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sign whichever WR the Bengals let go between Boyd and Green

Sign one of the following EDGE players: Clowney, Ngakoue, Fowler, Beasley, Von Miller (if his option isn't picked up), C. Jones (if released for cap reasons), Campbell (if released for cap reasons)

Sign Tre White to an extension

good call on Tre. Get him signed long term asap. That will allow us to spend some in FA, and roll over some cash the following year for players like Milano, and maybe Dawkins and/or Zay should they be worthy. If you want to retain homegrown talent, sign them early and often. just my opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Over 90 million dollars

Beane making trades and drafting like a wizard

 

How should we spend the money?

Resigning our own and maybe one shiny new toy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...