Over 90 million dollars next year......what to do

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Can't extend either Foster or Wallace until after the 2020 season at the earliest.

And I think he should play in the middle; I just think he should play elsewhere too is all.  You can probably effectively combine the LB role that he and LorAx are playing currently and hand that to Edmunds--that's how talented he is...the only practical change would be that Edmunds plays outside when there are 3 LBs on the field.  And it's because of how good Edmunds is, not any type of deficiency.

It's fine if other folks don't want to move him, but I'm a bit surprised at the level of vitriol from the mere suggestion that he can be put to better use.

Heres what I believe you’re missing in your vision of how he should be used. He’s the Defensive Captain. He will be on the field EVERY play he’s healthy enough to play. That can’t be said for either OLB position in certain situations. He already rushes the passer from the edge -think Bear Sack over the Tackle from Miami. I get that it’s fun to dream of other situations individually, but being surprised at vitriol that he isn’t be used to your perceived maximum reeks of arrogant cluelessness. Frazier & McDermott have about 40 years of combined NFL Defensive Coaching. The difference; you ‘think’ he can be put to better use. They know they’re maximizing his potential.

Just now, Chandler#81 said:

Heres what I believe you’re missing in your vision of how he should be used. He’s the Defensive Captain. He will be on the field EVERY play he’s healthy enough to play. That can’t be said for either OLB position in certain situations. He already rushes the passer from the edge -think Bear Sack over the Tackle from Miami. I get that it’s fun to dream of other situations individually, but being surprised at vitriol that he isn’t be used to your perceived maximum reeks of arrogant cluelessness. Frazier & McDermott have about 40 years of combined NFL Defensive Coaching. The difference; you ‘think’ he can be put to better use. They know they’re maximizing his potential.

I'll accept arrogant, but clueless I'm not :lol:

Yes, his steamrolling of Miami's LT in week 17 is a great example of what he can do on the EDGE.  And no, I'm actually not missing that at all. As I said in my last post: he shouldn't leave the field.  I just believe that he can play outside more and have more chances to impact the game.

Truthfully it doesn't matter, because they aren't going to ask me for my opinions.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I'll accept arrogant, but clueless I'm not :lol:

Yes, his steamrolling of Miami's LT in week 17 is a great example of what he can do on the EDGE.  And no, I'm actually not missing that at all. As I said in my last post: he shouldn't leave the field.  I just believe that he can play outside more and have more chances to impact the game.

Truthfully it doesn't matter, because they aren't going to ask me for my opinions.

Isn't the best and most important LB on Carolina - their true difference maker - the MLB?

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Isn't the best and most important LB on Carolina - their true difference maker - the MLB?

Absolutely he's their best LB.  And Edmunds is Buffalo's best chance to have a dynamic LB.

IMO, the most impactful defenders on the field are stud pass rushers and stud corners; they're the guys that typically can make the game-changing plays most often because of the role they're asked to play.  If I've got my choice, I want Edmunds to have more chances to make such plays, which means putting him in more situations to rush the passer.

Don't get me wrong, I still want him to play MLB...and to do it a lot.  I just think that the upside of letting him rush the passer from the EDGE on, say, 35% of his defensive snaps outweighs the drop off at MLB that you'd see between him and a guy like Stanford/Vosean on those same 35% of the team's defensive snaps.

'

But I've said my piece on that, and I'm starting to derail the thread topic, so I'll let those be my closing remarks on that particular viewpoint.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Absolutely he's their best LB.  And Edmunds is Buffalo's best chance to have a dynamic LB.

IMO, the most impactful defenders on the field are stud pass rushers and stud corners; they're the guys that typically can make the game-changing plays most often because of the role they're asked to play.  If I've got my choice, I want Edmunds to have more chances to make such plays, which means putting him in more situations to rush the passer.

Don't get me wrong, I still want him to play MLB...and to do it a lot.  I just think that the upside of letting him rush the passer from the EDGE on, say, 35% of his defensive snaps outweighs the drop off at MLB that you'd see between him and a guy like Stanford/Vosean on those same 35% of the team's defensive snaps.

'

But I've said my piece on that, and I'm starting to derail the thread topic, so I'll let those be my closing remarks on that particular viewpoint.

Yeah, I usually agree with all of this except for Kuechly. But he's truly unique - one of the best players of the decade at any position and just phenomenal in pass coverage. Edmunds will never be as good as Kuechly in that area. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Draft or FA priorities:

- #1 WR

- CBs

- Trent Murphy extension or replacement

- Finish OL if needed

- DL depth

There are a few other lesser priorities like another RB, but those are what I have.  There is some real money needed to do that, but we have plenty.  More than enough.   Here’s a link to a useful multi year view of contracts:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

Wow, that FA list of WRs is either older or underwhelming.

I'd easily replace Murphy with either Daniels or Irvin. 

Lots of good CBs to be available.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sign whichever WR the Bengals let go between Boyd and Green

Sign one of the following EDGE players: Clowney, Ngakoue, Fowler, Beasley, Von Miller (if his option isn't picked up), C. Jones (if released for cap reasons), Campbell (if released for cap reasons)

Sign Tre White to an extension

IIRC, Boyd was extended this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

In Order

Re-sign Poyer (will be going into last year of Deal next year)

Look at Re-signing depending on their play this year

Jordan Phillips

Alexander

Lawson

Then Sign

Yannick Ngakoue

Amari Cooper

I love Lo' but he's WAY too old to worry about re-signing.

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

All joking aside, Benjamin went unsigned and may well be out of the league for good. He's only 28.

The way he ran routes and put effort in he will be taking orders at Popeyes for chicken sandwiches pretty soon. That’s the only route he will be running

58 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

AJ Green. Pull out the red carpet for him, pay him well. Other than that I feel this FA class is weak. Tre and Milano need to be extended as well. Re-sign the productive players we’ve drafted but once again AJ Green would be phenomenal.

I would say that signing a 32 year old WR to big money is not in Beane's plans at all.

Bengals HC tweeted Green could miss 6 games to start the season.  He's been injured a lot lately.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I would say that signing a 32 year old WR to big money is not in Beane's plans at all.

Bengals HC tweeted Green could miss 6 games to start the season.  He's been injured a lot lately.

Even if we get him for 10-12 games a year, that’s 10 or 12 games that Allen has a legit bonafide superstar as his first read. I think it’s worth it.

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

The absolute earliest that he can be signed to a new contract is March of 2021 in accordance with the current CBA (and I doubt that'll change with a new CBA).

His rookie deal runs through the completion of the 2021 season, but the team can pick up his 5th year option for 2022, which would be a one-year extension equal in amount to the average of the top-10 QB salaries in 2022.  Of course, they could tag him twice after that as well.

How did the cowboys extent Elliott 

8 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sign whichever WR the Bengals let go between Boyd and Green

Sign one of the following EDGE players: Clowney, Ngakoue, Fowler, Beasley, Von Miller (if his option isn't picked up), C. Jones (if released for cap reasons), Campbell (if released for cap reasons)

Sign Tre White to an extension

good call on Tre. Get him signed long term asap. That will allow us to spend some in FA, and roll over some cash the following year for players like Milano, and maybe Dawkins and/or Zay should they be worthy. If you want to retain homegrown talent, sign them early and often. just my opinion