Over 90 million dollars next year......what to do

heres our list of FA for 2020...we need  to re-sign our own...not all but the ones they want to keep(duh!):

on the 53 -

Jordan Phillips DT (UFA)

Lorenzo Alexander OLB (UFA) - might retire

Julian Stanford OLB (UFA)

Maurice Alexander LB (UFA)

Kevin Johnson CB (UFA)

Levi Wallace CB (ERFA)

Shaq Lawson DE (UFA)

Quinton Spain G (UFA)

Frank Gore RB (UFA)

Kurt Coleman FS (UFA)

Dean Marlowe SS (RFA)

Isaiah McKenzie WR (RFA)

Robert Foster WR (ERFA)

practice squad guys - not sure how these guys are effected tho

Eddie Yarbrough DE (RFA)

Nate Becker TE (ERFA)

Erik Magnunson OT (RFA)

on IR  -

LaAdrian Waddle RT (UFA)

Senorise Perry RB (UFA)

Jason Croom TE (ERFA)

Edited by Tsaikotic

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I would move Edmunds to that position and find a different ILB that can play in 3 LB sets.  Of course, they may already have that guy in Vosean or Stanford.

This is a joke like your other entries here, right?

The kid was POTM in December. Has the wing span of an eagle.

Jesus!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

All joking aside, Benjamin went unsigned and may well be out of the league for good. He's only 28.

Hardly surprising, 

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus!

Huh? No...not at all.

I would play Edmunds in the role that LorAx plays.  Only difference would be that Edmunds would never leave the field.

Point being that he's got so much more in him than just a MLB.  He can rush the passer, play over the TE, play down the funnel, cover backs, blitz from the inside, etc.

He's got more value playing elsewhere, whereas someone far less talented (like Vosean, for instance) can play MLB.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Sign whichever WR the Bengals let go between Boyd and Green

Sign one of the following EDGE players: Clowney, Ngakoue, Fowler, Beasley, Von Miller (if his option isn't picked up), C. Jones (if released for cap reasons), Campbell (if released for cap reasons)

Sign Tre White to an extension

Don’t go near Vic Beasley. 

But I like your approach. 

23 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Jesus!

I don't get the crap he's getting.    He was 19 years old when he started the season!!! 

What he accomplished as the QB of the defense was awesome IMO 

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Huh? No...not at all.

I would play Edmunds in the role that LorAx plays.  Only difference would be that Edmunds would never leave the field.

Point being that he's got so much more in him than just a MLB.  He can rush the passer, play over the TE, play down the funnel, cover backs, blitz from the inside, etc.

He's got more value playing elsewhere, whereas someone far less talented (like Vosean, for instance) can play MLB.

All of this is accurate and better suited to where he is. The new primary offense is 3 step drops and fire short. He played havoc with scheme all through his rookie season. I can’t think of any reason to move this tower out of the middle of the field.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I would move Edmunds to that position and find a different ILB that can play in 3 LB sets.  Of course, they may already have that guy in Vosean or Stanford.

Sir....please

Edmunds looks outstanding in his 2nd year at OLB and totally fits what McD wants from his middle backer.....WHY would we do this?

We should just figure out who is gonna be the replacement at olb

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't get the crap he's getting.    He was 19 years old when he started the season!!! 

What he accomplished as the QB of the defense was awesome IMO 

I think folks are misreading me re: Edmunds.  I think he'll be a very good MLB. I also think that he will have far greater value if he's allowed to move around the defense and play on the EDGE at least as much as in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

All of this is accurate and better suited to where he is. The new primary offense is 3 step drops and fire short. He played havoc with scheme all through his rookie season. I can’t think of any reason to move this tower out of the middle of the field.

I just think that a lesser player can do what is asked of a MLB, and that he can do much more than what most LBs are capable of.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Sir....please

Edmunds looks outstanding in his 2nd year at OLB and totally fits what McD wants from his middle backer.....WHY would we do this?

We should just figure out who is gonna be the replacement at olb

My. Word. Guys.

I didn't knock Edmunds. At all.

I've explained why we would do this multiple times.  EDGE players have, to a man, more value than MLBs, and Edmunds is capable of making more plays than your typical MLB who stays in the funnel.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think folks are misreading me re: Edmunds.  I think he'll be a very good MLB. I also think that he will have far greater value if he's allowed to move around the defense and play on the EDGE at least as much as in the middle.

I just think that a lesser player can do what is asked of a MLB, and that he can do much more than what most LBs are capable of.

We’ve seen him very effectively blitz, stuff lanes and defend passes from right where he is. I expect even more development from this season and he’s already a stud. McDermott wants him there and he’s done nothing to second guess that thinking. Milano is the guy from the outside in the Defense to rush, pursue and play the flat.

That number will dip a bit with resigning some of our own. If all these guys play lights out in their contract year (2020), we could be down to about $60M. Extending a few keys guys a year early could drop us down to $30-40M. Still a ton of coin for FA. We need some help at OLB and Edge Rusher. 

Probably extend:  Forgot they are on rookie deals and cannot be extended yet
Robert Foster

Levi Wallace

Wait and see how the year goes: 

Kevin Johnson

Shaq Lawson

Quinton Spain 

Jordan Phillips

Spencer Long (There is a club option for 2020) 

Possibly extend early:

Matt Barkley

Tre White

Ty Nseke

Trent Murphy 

Jordan Poyer

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Matt Milano 

John Feliciano

Edited by Mango
I am an idiot

Just now, Mango said:

That number will dip a bit with resigning some of our own. If all these guys play lights out in their contract year (2020), we could be down to about $60M. Extending a few keys guys a year early could drop us down to $30-40M. Still a ton of coin for FA. We need some help at OLB and Edge Rusher. 

Probably extend: 
Robert Foster

Levi Wallace

Wait and see how the year goes: 

Kevin Johnson

Shaq Lawson

Quinton Spain 

Jordan Phillips

Spencer Long (There is a club option for 2020) 

Possibly extend early:

Matt Barkley

Tre White

Ty Nseke

Trent Murphy 

Jordan Poyer

Zay Jones

Dion Dawkins

Matt Milano 

John Feliciano

Can't extend either Foster or Wallace until after the 2020 season at the earliest.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

We’ve seen him very effectively blitz, stuff lanes and defend passes from right where he is. I expect even more development from this season and he’s already a stud. McDermott wants him there and he’s done nothing to second guess that thinking. Milano is the guy from the outside in the Defense to rush, pursue and play the flat.

And I think he should play in the middle; I just think he should play elsewhere too is all.  You can probably effectively combine the LB role that he and LorAx are playing currently and hand that to Edmunds--that's how talented he is...the only practical change would be that Edmunds plays outside when there are 3 LBs on the field.  And it's because of how good Edmunds is, not any type of deficiency.

It's fine if other folks don't want to move him, but I'm a bit surprised at the level of vitriol from the mere suggestion that he can be put to better use.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

My. Word. Guys.

I didn't knock Edmunds. At all.

I've explained why we would do this multiple times.  EDGE players have, to a man, more value than MLBs, and Edmunds is capable of making more plays than your typical MLB who stays in the funnel.

What I am voicing is I believe that IN THIS PARTICULAR defense......a pass coverage linebacker is ultra important.

You may agree or not...that is my opinion...:)

I don't expect a big spending spree. But I do think they target one big ticket item and another starting caliber player along with their usual depth signings. I don't foresee 2-3 big ticket players along with 2 or more starters. I do think that the team starts to take care of their own players like Dawkins and Tre if they both turn in strong seasons and resigning Shaq if he has a good year.

Given the WR draft is projected to be strong I think they roll with Brown and Beasley and draft a WR round 1 (possibly even trading up to do so) I think they also spend big on the edge rush as even if Shaq has a great year you still need to move Hughes into a situational role (and I don't foresee Shaq having a breakout.) I could also see the team signing another starting caliber O-line or tight end depending on how those positions shake out. 

Overall I think the agenda next off-season will be to add a big time pass rusher, take care of their own players in need of extensions , add a starting caliber supporting piece to the offense, and draft a big time WR. I think they want to keep cap flexibility to retain their own players longer term. 

Lots of one year contracts which is what these guys like, I think that continues.  But there will be holes, no need to spend just to spend in FA, that has been proven to not be a good strategy.  Spend judiciously, extend where appropriate and draft well......and oh yeah give Josh Allen all the help (not necesarily other players) he needs to succeed.

Edited by mattynh