Just how important is Sundays game?

Ramza86

It would more critical to win if they were playing in Buffalo, but still not a must win.  It's wayy too early to tell how good/bad any team is going to be for the season, therefore I find it tough to put a 'must-win' label on a week 1 game.  Another problem with week-1 is there is so much 'unknown' about your own team that boils all the way down to  just communication and game management by the staff that has to get worked out.  Thankfully all teams experience the 'week-1' challenges, so it's just another fun random variable that no one can possibly account for.

22 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Although its just week 1. 

The Jets and the Bills are pretty even from a talent standpoint. 

I think Allen vs Darnold can be a great new rivalry for the league. 

Each team is trying to take over the division post Brady. 

Both teams feel a special year is coming. I think ours only happens with a road win against our new Jets rivals week 1.

If we win it will have been of supreme importance and the key to our playoff season.

if we lose it was just a blip as our new pieces are all learning how to fit and we should not panic because it's only 1 of 16.

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If they win, they'll be 1-0, and have 15 games remaining.

If they lose, they'll be 0-1, and have 15 games remaining.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's really the long and short of it.  It's one game.

A division win is worth more than a non division win. The same can be said about a division loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

normally I would not counter any of your takes as I find you as one of the more knowledgeable members here but I disagree with your take.

the long and short of it is this a division game. a loss would hurt, especially a division loss. a win would help in reaching at least 2nd place in the division (since marcia and company are supposedly unbeatable). division games are always important and imo, must wins.

I would also add that every game is important, all 16 but if they had to lose I would rather it be to the giants or any non conference team then the jets.

in short, this is a must win game, imo.

I appreciate the sentiment.

I completely agree that there are games you'd much prefer to lose.  In the macro, however, if you go 10-6 and lose all 6 division games (which I realize is incredibly unlikely for any team), you're still 10-6 and probably going to the postseason...I guess that's the general crux

• Like (+1) 1

There is no such thing as a ..must win.. game in week 1.   There's just too many more games still to be played and you don't have to go undefeated in your division to make the playoffs.   However, it would be a really nice ay to start the season, beat a divisional opponent, get an AFC win, and start some confidence brewing ..all in one shot.  So, it will be a great way to start the season but in no way does it define the season.. Or even guarantee a 3-1 or 4-0 start with a playoff spot practically locked up before the bye.

It’s one game.  Doesn’t matter that much.  Would be foolish to freak out if we struggle or lose with 9 new players on offense making their first start together.  Just like it would be foolish to over react if we look great too as Jets have their own question marks and new pieces.

My personal opinion is that we will likely have both ups and downs this game as the team learns to feel its way through so many roster changes but will ultimately win the game as the D should be stingy throughout and I think our offense will be stronger in the 2nd half.  

Bills 24 - Jets 16

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure there is a statistic out there that compares the probability of making the playoffs when a team starts 1-0 vs. 0-1, and I'm willing to bet one is significantly better than the other.  So there's that.

The Bills' road schedule this season is pretty tough.  Outside the division they are at the Giants, Cowboys, Titans, Browns, and Steelers.  For them to be thinking playoffs they probably need to win at least three road games, so if you look at it from that perspective where are those wins going to come?  The Dolphins are one.  Then, they probably have to win two out of the four games vs. the Jets, Giants, Browns, and Titans -- I'm chalking up the Pats***, Cowboys, and Steelers as losses for the sake of this discussion.

If the Bills lose W1 to the Jets they have suddenly dug themselves a hole that seems much deeper than if the loss came to a non-conference opponent or traditional powerhouse.

So, for the reasons noted above, I think this is a particularly important game for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we're better than the Jets...but they're at home. And what game is harder to predict than game 1? I dunno. Week 1 is crazy.

I think winning is very important as it's an opener (duh), and a division foe (double duh), and seeing as how we're going right back there next week....I think being in that same visiting locker room before the Giants game with a W in hand from the same spot last week would be pretty good. It's certainly a more important game than, say, if we were at Dallas first instead.

As a corollary--I hope the Gints get rocked by Dallas. NYC is just WAITING to start chanting for Daniel Jones. Start the controversy early!

Edited by Golden*Wheels

43 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If they win, they'll be 1-0, and have 15 games remaining.

If they lose, they'll be 0-1, and have 15 games remaining.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's really the long and short of it.  It's one game.

Kinda disagree in that if the Bills are to make it to 10-6, this is one of the games they're going to need to win. There are six probable losses waiting for the team: NE 2x; at Dallas; at Pitt; at Cle; vs. Philly.  Of course, they may win one or two of those, but they still have to play at TN and have to face Baltimore. 

46 minutes ago, elijah said:

Yards per pass sent out a good tweet about it. 

He said with the Dolphins on a full out tank, a week one victory would essentially mean we have to go 7-6 throughout the rest of the season to make the playoffs because of two surefire wins against the Dolphins. 

It makes sense and I think it’s a good point, but hard to just count wins like that. 

This is pretty terrifying. When have we ever been able to take away our wins against our worse division rivals and hope to still win 8?