Just how important is Sundays game?

Ramza86

Although its just week 1. 

The Jets and the Bills are pretty even from a talent standpoint. 

I think Allen vs Darnold can be a great new rivalry for the league. 

Each team is trying to take over the division post Brady. 

Both teams feel a special year is coming. I think ours only happens with a road win against our new Jets rivals week 1.

Yards per pass sent out a good tweet about it. 

He said with the Dolphins on a full out tank, a week one victory would essentially mean we have to go 7-6 throughout the rest of the season to make the playoffs because of two surefire wins against the Dolphins. 

It makes sense and I think it’s a good point, but hard to just count wins like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like this is being discussed in 20 other threads?

Here’s an idea, how ‘bout all 100,000+ of us start a thread of how important this 1st game is? Hell, we already have a jump start on it.

No one need respond to any of the threads. We’ll all just peruse each other’s feelings..

Or not..

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Most important game in many years.   

With Miami tanking, the winner of this game will have 3 divisional wins guaranteed.   If the Bills can win here, the Jets game in Buffalo in week 17 could give them four divisional wins.   If they split with NE, that's five.    They would then only have to go .500 in all other games to get a good shot at a 10-6 season and the playoffs...

• Like (+1) 7

I'm with Lurker.

I've been saying for a few months now that winning this specific game is critical to our playoff chances. I think the Giants game should be winnable, and coming back to OP at 2-0 with a chance to beat Cincy at home will be the difference between playoffs and golf come January. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's always nice to get off to a good start. It's also nice to add to a division opponent's possible hole by handing them an L week 1. If the Jets lose this game then they could start out 0-7 as I said in a different thread. They have a tough stretch right out of the gate. It wouldn't be the end of the world IF we lost, but Lord knows I hope we get a convincing W. :thumbsup:

How are the Jets and Bills evenly matched for talent? 

We have way more talent on the defense than they do.  

I'd argue our offense is a bit more talented as well, but reasonable minds can differ. 

Plus, they have a brand new head coach. 

I think it is a must win just because this is one of the easier games on the schedule. The type of game you need to win to get to 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

What would really stink is if we generally thought we played a good game and the Jets still won.

I truly believe we are better than the Jets...but man, I do not need that seed planted in my head of "could the Jets be better than us?"

They can't be, you guys, right?  They simply can't be.

EDIT:  For the love of all get out we replaced all but two positions on offense and I think we upgraded at EVERY spot with this change over, which exponentially helps the most important spot we didn't change, Allen at QB.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

How are the Jets and Bills evenly matched for talent? 

We have way more talent on the defense than they do.  

I'd argue our offense is a bit more talented as well, but reasonable minds can differ. 

Plus, they have a brand new head coach. 

I think it is a must win just because this is one of the easier games on the schedule. The type of game you need to win to get to 10. 

You dont think so?

Id have them as the favorite in a neutral setting.

I think they have a very similar team to ours, I choose their offense over ours and their defense is nothing to be slept on, they know how to get pressure. 

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Like this is being discussed in 20 other threads?

Here’s an idea, how ‘bout all 100,000+ of us start a thread of how important this 1st game is? Hell, we already have a jump start on it.

No one need respond to any of the threads. We’ll all just peruse each other’s feelings..

Or not..

Remember now, don't feel pressured... there is no wrong answer!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

If they win, they'll be 1-0, and have 15 games remaining.

If they lose, they'll be 0-1, and have 15 games remaining.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's really the long and short of it.  It's one game.

normally I would not counter any of your takes as I find you as one of the more knowledgeable members here but I disagree with your take.

the long and short of it is this a division game. a loss would hurt, especially a division loss. a win would help in reaching at least 2nd place in the division (since marcia and company are supposedly unbeatable). division games are always important and imo, must wins.

I would also add that every game is important, all 16 but if they had to lose I would rather it be to the giants or any non conference team then the jets.

in short, this is a must win game, imo.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

normally I would not counter any of your takes as I find you as one of the more knowledgeable members here but I disagree with your take.

the long and short of it is this a division game. a loss would hurt, especially a division loss. a win would help in reaching at least 2nd place in the division (since marcia and company are supposedly unbeatable). division games are always important and imo, must wins.

I would also add that every game is important, all 16 but if they had to lose I would rather it be to the giants or any non conference team then the jets.

in short, this is a must win game, imo.

Summed up my thoughts before I could post them myself!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

You dont think so?

Id have them as the favorite in a neutral setting.

I think they have a very similar team to ours, I choose their offense over ours and their defense is nothing to be slept on, they know how to get pressure. 

They have a better front four, maybe. But, after that, their defense is a mess.  Their secondary is in shambles and their star LB can't play on passing downs.  Our unit is likely to be top five, theirs is likely to be bottom ten.  

On offense, I don't think theirs is better at all.  Bell is the prized jewel, and he hasn't taken a snap in a year and a half. Their WR corps is about par with ours, and their line is still just OK. I mean, their starting center was retired a few months ago.