Power Rankings

aristocrat

57 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Taking off the red and blue blinders ... How have the Bills improved?  Allen in 2nd year like Darnold.  Replaced one aging RB for another.  OLine *may* be better but who knows (certainly not a lock), Picked up Beasley in the slot, otherwise receiving is probably a wash,  D is about the same (hard to go up much from last year).  They probably are looking at this season.  Their assessment is just different than yours.  And quite frankly, everyone is guessing at this point.

While I agree that the progression of Allen and Darnold is a wash, I'm clearly more optimistic than you right now.  4 of the 5 O-line positions have been upgraded from back-ups (or less) to capable NFL starters.  Our #1 and #2 receiver from last year have been pushed down to our #3 and #4 receiver with Brown and Beasley expected to get the most targets.  The D is largely the same, but I think that Edmunds progression will improve our run defense that hurt us in a couple of games last year.

I can't argue on the guessing point as preseason observations aren't the most reliable.  I am of the opinion that there isn't an area of our team that is weaker than a year ago, while making upgrades to our o-line, receivers and depth at many positions.

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

What a joke. 

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Pats being first is surprising CRAZY to me.  

This ^

Any other franchise that had the kind of hits to their roster the Pats have had wouldn't be in the top 10.  Let's review:

> lost HoF TE

> TE replacing said HoF TE is 38 and suspended for 4 games

> lost starting C for most of season.

> starting LT has yet to start an NFL game

> #1 pick WR on IR

> top WR with an injured hand

> GOAT QB is 42.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

When the year is over I think the Bills are an ascending team and the Jets are mired in controversy and turmoil within their coaching staffs. There's a lot to be said about having people who do things the right way. Gase stunk in Miami, I seriously don't get why he is tapped to succeed in a market that blows up combustible situations and delights in the implosion. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

While I agree that the progression of Allen and Darnold is a wash, I'm clearly more optimistic than you right now.  4 of the 5 O-line positions have been upgraded from back-ups (or less) to capable NFL starters.  Our #1 and #2 receiver from last year have been pushed down to our #3 and #4 receiver with Brown and Beasley expected to get the most targets.  The D is largely the same, but I think that Edmunds progression will improve our run defense that hurt us in a couple of games last year.

I can't argue on the guessing point as preseason observations aren't the most reliable.  I am of the opinion that there isn't an area of our team that is weaker than a year ago, while making upgrades to our o-line, receivers and depth at many positions.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from.  I just didn't see anything in preseason that leads me to declare the O-Line is markedly better.  That, IMO. will decide this season for the Bills one way or the other.  Well that and Allen taking a nice big step up :)

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yeah I can see where you are coming from.  I just didn't see anything in preseason that leads me to declare the O-Line is markedly better.  That, IMO. will decide this season for the Bills one way or the other.  Well that and Allen taking a nice big step up :)

Morse never played in the preseason and they tried Ford at tackle a decent amount while he likely plays mostly guard which should suit him better. So I wouldnt judge the O-line by the preseason.

1 minute ago, jletha said:

Morse never played in the preseason and they tried Ford at tackle a decent amount while he likely plays mostly guard which should suit him better. So I wouldnt judge the O-line by the preseason.

Can't judge anything by preseason really, but it's all there is.  Tough to declare the O-Line better in that environment as well.  We'll see very soon.  But at the very least, they shouldn't be any worse.

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Taking off the red and blue blinders ... How have the Bills improved?  Allen in 2nd year like Darnold.  Replaced one aging RB for another.  OLine *may* be better but who knows (certainly not a lock), Picked up Beasley in the slot, otherwise receiving is probably a wash,  D is about the same (hard to go up much from last year).  They probably are looking at this season.  Their assessment is just different than yours.  And quite frankly, everyone is guessing at this point.

Because I receivers were so good last year.

Come on Code Monkey, if my blue blinders are off (which they are), then shouldn't your "shades" come off, too?

If you really want to sing the praises of Bodine, Miller, Mills and Ducasse, while scratching your chin wondering whether these guys are better, go ahead.  I will listen, but I'll be reading the paper while you are singing.  While you are at it please hum a few bars of kelvin Benjamin and us in a situation where Deonte Thompson could be a starter at WR.

I will also listen to how the Jets are better than us and rated higher than us in power rankings, but like a judge would say, "counselor, get to your point quickly."

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Well I hate to break it to ya, but ESPN/NFL websites are looking for 'clicks'... Also, they care more about large market teams, because, more 'clicks'. 

Week 1 can't come soon enough!!!

I here you, but that is an answer without being a great answer.

That is absolutely no fault on you, it just goes back to my original point. 

I'd rather have it be click bate by letting other people look at it and get pissed off because they think the Bills are too high.

7 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Can't judge anything by preseason really, but it's all there is.  Tough to declare the O-Line better in that environment as well.  We'll see very soon.  But at the very least, they shouldn't be any worse.

The O Line is 100x better.  We have one of the best centers in the NFL now. 

25 minutes ago, jletha said:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/9/3/20844924/preseason-power-rankings-part-2-broncos-49ers-ravens

23 here, Jets are 25 in another article (link at the beginning)

This is a good writeup.

Basically the season depends on Allen. If you are a believer, the Bills are playoff bound with this defense.  If a non-believer, it could be a long year.  In Josh We Trust.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What a joke. 

This ^

Any other franchise that had the kind of hits to their roster the Pats have had wouldn't be in the top 10.  Let's review:

> lost HoF TE

> TE replacing said HoF TE is 38 and suspended for 4 games

> lost starting C for most of season.

> starting LT has yet to start an NFL game

> #1 pick WR on IR

> top WR with an injured hand

> GOAT QB is 42.

Where should the team that won the SB be ranked?  You would be losing your mind about the national media disrespecting us if the Bills weren’t number 1 after winning the SB (I would be dead of heart attack).

guess what?  The odds say the Pats will win the SB and are still the best team.  They will be until they aren’t.  So why put someone else ahead of them?

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i'd say the Bears and Ravens are way over ranked.

National guys are morons and don't actually watch games. Lamar Jackson will not be a good QB but they have decided he is despite all evidence, Chicago is a major market so perception bumps them for no reason. 

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

National guys are morons and don't actually watch games. Lamar Jackson will not be a good QB but they have decided he is despite all evidence, Chicago is a major market so perception bumps them for no reason. 

So both of those teams making the playoffs don’t matter?  Allen who had a worse completion % than Jackson can improve but Lamar can’t?

i don’t know why people care at all.  But until the Bills show different, they are a 6-10 football team with a qb who has a lot to improve on.  Hopefully, they do. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

So both of those teams making the playoffs don’t matter?  Allen who had a worse completion % than Jackson can improve but Lamar can’t?

i don’t know why people care at all.  But until the Bills show different, they are a 6-10 football team with a qb who has a lot to improve on.  Hopefully, they do. 

you know it's ok for someone to have a negative opinion about another team right?  i know you're wildly sensitive to such things, but it is ok.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You're cherry picking facts to back up your argument. The Raven's didn't make the playoffs because of Jackson. I think the Bears are better than us, but not as good as everyone is assuming they will be

Just now, teef said:

you know it's ok for someone to have a negative opinion about another team right?  i know you're wildly sensitive to such things, but it is ok.

Haha, you’re the one who’s sensitive.  You cry every time some doesn’t just say the Bills are awesome.  I’m objective.  Right now, I have zero problems with their rankings that mean absolutely nothing. 

Guess what people who think the national media is against Buffalo?  Guess who will be ranked if the Bills win this week?  Prove you’re not the same 6-10 7-9 team and then you get respect.  But stop crying about being disrespected because right now, we don’t deserve any. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exactly, the Bills are a team with good defense and an offense that has been missing for over 2 decades. Josh Allen could very well be JP Losman for all we know. If Allen shows to be a top 15 QB in this league, the Bills are probably in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. If he turns out to be another bum, this team wins 6 games max.

• Like (+1) 3