Debating going to Game One, but oh the BBFS

Virgil

I've been debating going to the season opener against the Jets as it's only a 2 and a half hour drive and tickets can be bought for as low as $70.  I see the tailgate, but I don't actually know anyone going to the game and it feels a little strange to go alone as everyone I know can't make a last minute trip work.  I saw the tailgate thing by the NYC Bills backers, but like many on forums, I do my best work alone.  With that, I made the huge mistake of watching the 2018 Bills highlight reel last night and it reminded me of some of the losses we took last year, which kicked my BBFS into high gear.  With that, here's my pro's and con's going into week 1.

BBFS Cons:

1 - Jets fans are on a similar path to us.  I do believe that Gase is a dumpster fire HC and deserves to be arrested for conning the Jets into giving him almost full control of the organization after what he left behind in Miami.  However, you could argue they've made just as many changes for the positive on their roster as we have.  Before the hold-out, Bell was considered a top 2 RB.  Outside of Bills fans, I don't think you'll find many who think Allen is a slam dunk better choice than Darnold.   They also plugged a lot of holes, albeit still have some big ones due to injuries.   Hell, they even drafted the same guy some were hoping we would trade up for.  With that, I think it's safe to say you'll find a lot of Jets fans loud at the stadium with the same anticipation for the season that we have.  The main edge I give us is that it takes a bit for a new system to gel, which they have on both offense and defense.

2 - Yes, we started Anderson and Peterman for a few games and that's a big part of our loss record.  In watching the highlights, the Texans game was particularly painful.  But the fact is, we finished with 5 wins.  I think it's a lot to expect any team, no matter how many additions, to make a huge leap from that.  We are going to lose some games this year that we expect to win and we will probably give them away.  The Jets are one of those teams that can easily steal a win from us.  I have no logic and reasoning besides the fact that we were 5-11 and that rarely becomes 9-7 or better quickly.   We were 3-3 in games decided by 4 points or less.  When it comes to 50-50 chances, the BBFS wins out.

3 - The preseason Allen interception scares the crap out of me.  Yes, it was preseason and yes he said he knows better.  But he still did it.  After an entire offseason and everything else, he made the biggest mistake a QB can make.  He threw the ball across his body, while falling backwards, into coverage.  Is he going to be good for one of those a game?  He had enough head scratching throws last season to worry and doing it again already just makes me wonder if it'll cost us a game.

4 - Too much preseason faith in our offense?  In the final 3 preseason games, our offense executed one drive, and that was a 2 minute offense.  Don't get me wrong, they nailed it.  But I don't think the offense has proven anything, especially with almost entirely new offensive weapons, to wait until the regular season to gel.  I'm concerned that we are treating our team too much like a veteran, winning group who doesn't need the reps.  

5 - Punter.  You all know what I mean

Pros:

1 - Our defense is in year 3 and is actually returning almost all of their key players.  Getting a healthy Murphy and Milano is big.  Our secondary is a year wiser.  And we apparently got a DT that can pressure up the middle.  Our defense, at the very least, should be better.  Now, I don' t believe for a second that we were actually the 2nd best defense in the league last year.  Our offense was so terrible that teams started on our side of the field or had enormous leads early in games due to turnovers.  Our pressure was meh at best, besides a few games where we just went off, I'm looking at you Cousins.  I see them being a generally better defense and if the pass rush improves with Oliver and Murphy, watch out.

2 - Speed Kills and we have it.  Not only did we add Brown, a genuine deep threat whom commands safety support and a cushion, but I really do believe that Beasley is going to be a PPR machine for us.  If Allen and him developed the rapport that they lead us to believe, then I see a huge jump for this offense.  No offense to Zay, but if we spread the field like last year and have Brown and Foster on the edges, the defense will have to respect that speed, leaving better holes for rushing plays or Beasley to find holes over the middle.  Plus, in case you didn't know, our QB can run.

3 - McD and the Process.  I wanted to say culture, but I think that's part of his process.  The attitude and closeness of this team is one I haven't seen from them in a long time.  It almost feels like the season opener against the Pats where we won 31-0.  I can't remember a cut down day more exciting and nerve-racking than this one.  Overall, we feel like a team ready to burst out.

Overall, I don't have good luck at away games and to sit alone in a visitor stadium and have a potential long walk and drive home sounds terrible.  However, I do need to push myself to more things. I want to attend the games against the Steelers and Browns too.

Yes, not my best post on here, but the season starts in two days and I just needed to type.  

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn’t advise attending alone in joisy, but that’s just me. Like most level-headed fans, I have no idea how this game will turn out. But if it’s a thrilling ending with the Bills winning, ANY positive reaction by you could cause death and dismemberment.

Nice post!

• Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Go to the game!  Join the North Jersey Bills Backers and the NYC Backers for a great tailgate in Lot 26.  We take over the lot and all Bills fans are welcome to join in for good food and drinks.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the tailgate.

I wholly agree! I have gone to plenty of games of all kinds by my lonesome, never had an issue! 

14 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Man, you DO have BBFS really bad.....poor guy.

It burns.  

In my defense, I watched the highlights at 3am and our record in the last game was 5-10, so I didn’t really question it or add the win. 

Edited by Virgil

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Now you post this!  I just dumped my seats (at a loss) because the guy going with me got called south thanks to Dorian. I'm 6' 6". I'd protect you from stupid Jets fans.

I’d have sat on your lap and everything!

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Go to the game!  Join the North Jersey Bills Backers and the NYC Backers for a great tailgate in Lot 26.  We take over the lot and all Bills fans are welcome to join in for good food and drinks.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the tailgate.

I haven’t bought a parking pass yet...should I head over that way?

Just now, Virgil said:

I honestly don’t know.  

I don’t want to sit in a sea of green but also don’t want to sit in the upper decks.  

There’s always quite a bit of blue at the game, I opted to spend the extra money and get down by the Bills sideline. If you do decide to go and want a cpl bills fans near you. I’m section 142 row 5. There were a cpl seats left in the row last I checked

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I've been debating going to the season opener against the Jets as it's only a 2 and a half hour drive and tickets can be bought for as low as $70.  I see the tailgate, but I don't actually know anyone going to the game and it feels a little strange to go alone as everyone I know can't make a last minute trip work.  I saw the tailgate thing by the NYC Bills backers, but like many on forums, I do my best work alone.  With that, I made the huge mistake of watching the 2018 Bills highlight reel last night and it reminded me of some of the losses we took last year, which kicked my BBFS into high gear.  With that, here's my pro's and con's going into week 1.

BBFS Cons:

1 - Jets fans are on a similar path to us.  I do believe that Gase is a dumpster fire HC and deserves to be arrested for conning the Jets into giving him almost full control of the organization after what he left behind in Miami.  However, you could argue they've made just as many changes for the positive on their roster as we have.  Before the hold-out, Bell was considered a top 2 RB.  Outside of Bills fans, I don't think you'll find many who think Allen is a slam dunk better choice than Darnold.   They also plugged a lot of holes, albeit still have some big ones due to injuries.   Hell, they even drafted the same guy some were hoping we would trade up for.  With that, I think it's safe to say you'll find a lot of Jets fans loud at the stadium with the same anticipation for the season that we have.  The main edge I give us is that it takes a bit for a new system to gel, which they have on both offense and defense.

2 - Yes, we started Anderson and Peterman for a few games and that's a big part of our loss record.  In watching the highlights, the Texans game was particularly painful.  But the fact is, we finished with 5 wins.  I think it's a lot to expect any team, no matter how many additions, to make a huge leap from that.  We are going to lose some games this year that we expect to win and we will probably give them away.  The Jets are one of those teams that can easily steal a win from us.  I have no logic and reasoning besides the fact that we were 5-11 and that rarely becomes 9-7 or better quickly.   We were 3-3 in games decided by 4 points or less.  When it comes to 50-50 chances, the BBFS wins out.

3 - The preseason Allen interception scares the crap out of me.  Yes, it was preseason and yes he said he knows better.  But he still did it.  After an entire offseason and everything else, he made the biggest mistake a QB can make.  He threw the ball across his body, while falling backwards, into coverage.  Is he going to be good for one of those a game?  He had enough head scratching throws last season to worry and doing it again already just makes me wonder if it'll cost us a game.

4 - Too much preseason faith in our offense?  In the final 3 preseason games, our offense executed one drive, and that was a 2 minute offense.  Don't get me wrong, they nailed it.  But I don't think the offense has proven anything, especially with almost entirely new offensive weapons, to wait until the regular season to gel.  I'm concerned that we are treating our team too much like a veteran, winning group who doesn't need the reps.  

Pros:

1 - Our defense is in year 3 and is actually returning almost all of their key players.  Getting a healthy Murphy and Milano is big.  Our secondary is a year wiser.  And we apparently got a DT that can pressure up the middle.  Our defense, at the very least, should be better.  Now, I don' t believe for a second that we were actually the 2nd best defense in the league last year.  Our offense was so terrible that teams started on our side of the field or had enormous leads early in games due to turnovers.  Our pressure was meh at best, besides a few games where we just went off, I'm looking at you Cousins.  I see them being a generally better defense and if the pass rush improves with Oliver and Murphy, watch out.

2 - Speed Kills and we have it.  Not only did we add Brown, a genuine deep threat whom commands safety support and a cushion, but I really do believe that Beasley is going to be a PPR machine for us.  If Allen and him developed the rapport that they lead us to believe, then I see a huge jump for this offense.  No offense to Zay, but if we spread the field like last year and have Brown and Foster on the edges, the defense will have to respect that speed, leaving better holes for rushing plays or Beasley to find holes over the middle.  Plus, in case you didn't know, our QB can run.

3 - McD and the Process.  I wanted to say culture, but I think that's part of his process.  The attitude and closeness of this team is one I haven't seen from them in a long time.  It almost feels like the season opener against the Pats where we won 31-0.  I can't remember a cut down day more exciting and nerve-racking than this one.  Overall, we feel like a team ready to burst out.

Overall, I don't have good luck at away games and to sit alone in a visitor stadium and have a potential long walk and drive home sounds terrible.  However, I do need to push myself to more things. I want to attend the games against the Steelers and Browns too.

Yes, not my best post on here, but the season starts in two days and I just needed to type.  

Between the 5-11 thing and that bolded statement Im beginning to worry...do you watch the games lol? The first team offense didnt play in the 4th preseason game but that doesnt matter because Josh led two scoring drives against the Panthers which was in the last 3 preseason games.

Your first point is very true. We are almost mirrors of eachother. They are excited about all of the upgrades and rate their QB better than ours. We feel the same about our situation. Hopefully experience in a system wins out. Theres not any tape on Bell in this offense but theres also no tape of Beasly/Brown in ours. I hope our new O-line can keep Q out of the pocket and Josh doesnt get happy feet. Im also hoping our D-line can get through their week O-line and disrupt Darnold.

One point you didnt mention is the blowouts. Our offense stunk last year, no doubt about it. But our defense also had games where they looked inept. Same with the previous year when we made the playoffs. Sean cant have those games this year. Our defense needs to be more consistent.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

BBFS Cons:

Pros:

Cant figure out the second half of BBFS... tried google. Said bare back full service lol, are u getting a prostitute? ? if not can u help with what bbfs is 

Edited by BillsShredder83
Clarification
  • Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, jletha said:

Between the 5-11 thing and that bolded statement Im beginning to worry...do you watch the games lol? The first team offense didnt play in the 4th preseason game but that doesnt matter because Josh led two scoring drives against the Panthers which was in the last 3 preseason games.

Your first point is very true. We are almost mirrors of eachother. They are excited about all of the upgrades and rate their QB better than ours. We feel the same about our situation. Hopefully experience in a system wins out. Theres not any tape on Bell in this offense but theres also no tape of Beasly/Brown in ours. I hope our new O-line can keep Q out of the pocket and Josh doesnt get happy feet. Im also hoping our D-line can get through their week O-line and disrupt Darnold.

One point you didnt mention is the blowouts. Our offense stunk last year, no doubt about it. But our defense also had games where they looked inept. Same with the previous year when we made the playoffs. Sean cant have those games this year. Our defense needs to be more consistent.

I meant to say in 3 of the preseason games.  You are correct on the Panthers game