Refs for the Bills game are... (updated weekly)

Just Jack

Boger is generally fair and his crew calls things pretty evenly. I’ve even seen his crew flag the Pats* for holding, rare in the NFL these days. Not a bad group, but led all crews in flags per game last season ; about 5 more per game than the average. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Back Judge - Tony Steratore.  I wonder how he got that job?

Don't get me started Mister! What are you implying!? ?? Working previously as a concrete company foreman in New Jersey is a prefectly appropriate credential for becoming an NFL ref! Wasn't he on that Giants Stadium job 40+ years ago?

?????

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't get me started Mister! What are you implying!? ?? Working previously as a concrete company foreman in New Jersey is a prefectly appropriate credential for becoming an NFL ref! Wasn't he on that Giants Stadium job 40+ years ago?

?????

That may be the case....but wasn’t Gene Steratore the head of officiating in the NFL a few years ago. Now he’s one of those “CBS Rules Analyst” Jim Nantz poses questions to during games. I haven’t looked it up but I assume they are related (son, nephew)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That may be the case....but wasn’t Gene Steratore the head of officiating in the NFL a few years ago. Now he’s one of those “CBS Rules Analyst” Jim Nantz poses questions to during games. I haven’t looked it up but I assume they are related (son, nephew)

Well, it shows Tony as having 20 years of experience in the NFL. Gene only entered the league in 2003. If anything, it was Tony helping Gene enter the league. 

43 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Well, it shows Tony as having 20 years of experience in the NFL. Gene only entered the league in 2003. If anything, it was Tony helping Gene enter the league. 

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.... He's been a ref for 20+ years. Gene didn't get him anything 

On 9/3/2019 at 9:25 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

superintendent, juvenile correctional facility

Oh my 

can't say any names jump out as an automatic DOOMED guy 

can't be toooooo careful for someone going postal and totally juvenile out there swinging a helmet

Edited by row_33

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

According to his Wiki page, they are related....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Steratore

Former NFL Referee Gene Steratore Jr. is his younger brother. His father, Gene Steratore Sr., was an official in both college football and basketball. 

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Oh, I noticed!  Just didn't want to "grammar cop" you!

You could have PM'd me. Or mentioned it in a parking lot thread. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Week 13 - Bills @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving

Last time we had Vinovich, was at Green Bay, week 4 last year, a 22-0 loss. Bills got 3 penalties for 20 yards. Packers got 5 for 60 yards. 

Since becoming a head ref 15 years ago, Vinovich has only done 7 Bills games, all road games (not counting tomorrow). The Bills record for that stretch? 1-6

• Replay official: Mark Butterworth
  • Replay assistant: Alton James, Jr.
      Yrs 2018 crew College Occupation
R 52 Bill Vinovich 14   San Diego certified public accountant
U 102 Bruce Stritesky 14 * Embry Riddle airline pilot
DJ 110 Phil McKinnely 18 * UCLA inventory control; former NFL player
LJ 9 Mark Perlman 19 * Salem teacher
FJ 31 Mearl Robinson 3 * Air Force instructor
SJ 60 Gary Cavaletto 17 * Hancock general manager, agricultural operations
BJ 17 Steve Patrick 6 * Jacksonville State owner, supply company

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Vinovich and crew are one of the better crews as NFL officials go. He’s pretty even handed, doesn’t shy away from calling penalties on NE ( always my litmus test) and doesn’t go out of his way to put his “ stamp” on the game. The Bills don’t have a great road record in the games he been assigned, but that’s probably more due to the team than bad calls by Vinovich. Not bad and I expect a pretty fairly called game without a ton of ticky tack stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills don’t have a great road record in the games he been assigned, but that’s probably more due to the team than bad calls by Vinovich. 

Could be. Those 7 games had 5 different head coaches. 

• Like (+1) 2