Air Fryer - Seeking Recommendations

Max Fischer

My wife bought one a couple years ago.

Haven't seen it in a while, might be on a basement shelf with the waffle iron and juice machine.

Good old fashion pan frying/cooking and convection oven cooking/reheating tastes way better imo.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Before plunking down big bucks, stop by your local Goodwill store and see if someone dropped one off.

Picked up one last week at the thrift store, looked like it had never been used.  Farberware  $23

Edited by Gary M
  • Like (+1) 1

we have the smaller one you buy at bjs.  there's a small learning curve, but it works great.  we have a double convection oven in our kitchen that only gets use when guests come over because the air fryer is so much easier.  dare i say it does a slightly better job. much faster too.

I got this one for Christmas last years. Basically the only things I've cooked so far were mozzarella sticks, pizza and wings. So far so good. Everything comes out good, but you have to keep on rotating the racks or the top will burn. 

https://vipoutlet.com/product/farberware-6-quart-digital-xl-air-fryer-oven-black-2/?gclid=CjwKCAjwnrjrBRAMEiwAXsCc48URHZ2RG5Q4a28zzV_pmSpUph_vectm1lMiXn2hkybzWDyjRw0iExoCJaoQAvD_BwE

I was thinking of getting one but then A friend of mine who has one told me he hates it. He Said he tried to cook French fries and they wouldn’t get crispy unless there was space in between each fry, which he said made it so he could only cook a small handful of fries at a time. He said you can’t just put a pile of fries in there (like the pictures) and expect them to get crispy. 

Has this been been anyone else’s experience with the air Fryer? 

Maybe he just bought a crappy model? 

Lots of mixed reviews when I look online. 

22 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Don't bother. I got one, and have used it maybe 4-5 times. Everything takes too long to cook, and the capacity (of mine, at least) is terrible. I think I can squeeze in there like 6 chicken wings.  

That's where I am - can get 6 wings in there and they take like 20 minutes.  It's good for mozzarella sticks tho.

22 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was thinking of getting one but then A friend of mine who has one told me he hates it. He Said he tried to cook French fries and they wouldn’t get crispy unless there was space in between each fry, which he said made it so he could only cook a small handful of fries at a time. He said you can’t just put a pile of fries in there (like the pictures) and expect them to get crispy. 

Has this been been anyone else’s experience with the air Fryer? 

Maybe he just bought a crappy model? 

Lots of mixed reviews when I look online. 

ours isn't a big one, but i've never had this problem.  you do have to baby sit it though.  i pull the basket every so often and shake it up.  it works a lot faster and more efficient than our convection ovens.  you can't do the same volume as an oven, so it does have limitations.  i would just never try wings in them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, frostbitmic said:

There is definitely a learning curve ... Temperature and timing is different than an oven .... Burned my onion rings last week  (shame, I know)

It works great for wings ... crispy skin, juicy chix ... Just for that alone It's worth it.

Please tell me the make and model of the air fryer that produces juicy chix.  Thank you.

I use mine to re-heat fried food. Works really well. Especially fries and wings.

It's best used with pre-cooked, packaged foods, like breaded chicken tenders, hot dogs, breaded cheese stix, smoked meats, etc.

Not so good for cooking raw food. Treat it like a microwave that crispify's instead of being soggy.

You need a bigger capacity, because like everyone said, it works best with space in between.

Edited by unbillievable