Frank Gore - great mentor for Singletary

Reed83HOF

I'm kind of sad that Shady's gone. Wish he could have restructured at the 4m mark and stayed, like the D. Thomas situation in NE. I'm hoping Gore has some fight left in him and Devin turns out better than expected. I'm 50/50 on Yeldon.  If Shady tears it up in KC and we flop here, it's going to look like a really stupid move. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I'm kind of sad that Shady's gone. Wish he could have restructured at the 4m mark and stayed, like the D. Thomas situation in NE. I'm hoping Gore has some fight left in him and Devin turns out better than expected. I'm 50/50 on Yeldon.  If Shady tears it up in KC and we flop here, it's going to look like a really stupid move. 

Wouldn't necessarily say that. KC has a lot more talent than we do and Shady will not be a focal point there. He's in a position to have a very good, not great year. His elite days are past him but he is more than capable of backing up and spot starting if needed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

McCoy has never been the type to mentor other players. He is a "me" only person, and I believe that is what ultimately got him cut.

He may do very well in KC, but I have no doubt he would have not liked his diminishing role in Buffalo, and often a player has to get cut before he can accept that his days as the "workhorse" back are over.

This really scares me. If Devin goes down, that leaves Gore and Yeldon. Love Gore, but for him to carry the load is asking a lot. I see Yeldon as a pass catching back, not someone who can handle the load. Will an injury to Devin make us more of a passing team?

Where is everyone coming up with these theories? Shady isn't team first, Shady won't mentor, Shady wanted out lol what has he ever done in Buffalo to even hint at any of this? He suffered last year behind a horrendous line, but now it's that he wasn't trying hard enough? It's like people have to invent stuff to soften the blow. 

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Where is everyone coming up with these theories? Shady isn't team first, Shady won't mentor, Shady wanted out lol what has he ever done in Buffalo to even hint at any of this? He suffered last year behind a horrendous line, but now it's that he wasn't trying hard enough? It's like people have to invent stuff to soften the blow. 

I think you are wrong here shady always will consider himself THE back on the team and there is nothing wrong with that except the bills decided they were gonna use devin

it can create problems in the locker room

I think it’s a win win. We get to save some money, while putting the best talent on the field, and Shady gets to chase a ring in a system that is much much better for his style and his current skillset. It’s sad to see leaders go, but it’s better to happen a day too early, as opposed to a day too late.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you are wrong here shady always will consider himself THE back on the team and there is nothing wrong with that except the bills decided they were gonna use devin

it can create problems in the locker room

He went to a team that already named a #1? You guys are just assuming that he wouldn't share touches when he wanted Frank Gore here. I know we will continue to disagree, but I'm seeing a lot of theories that have no prior actions to base them off of. 

18 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I think the odds of this happening are about 50-1.  I agree with you that there's a melancholy feeling about Shady being released -- particularly since he seems to have been genuinely excited about the OL acquisitions and the upcoming season -- but at 6M with a reduced workload ahead the Bills avoided a big potential headache.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

This really scares me. If Devin goes down, that leaves Gore and Yeldon. Love Gore, but for him to carry the load is asking a lot. I see Yeldon as a pass catching back, not someone who can handle the load. Will an injury to Devin make us more of a passing team?

Wouldn't worry about it at all. This team will be balanced on offense. Yeldon can catch the ball out of the back field and carry it if pressed in to duty. That's Gores job though. The Bills will run a ball control offense 3 yards here 4 yards there and take shots down field. The running backs we have are fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

I agree. IMO Gore will be a better mentor for Devin than Shady. He is as consistent a competitor as you will find in the sport. Team guy all the way whereas Shady was a bit more concerned about individual stats.

Based on what?  Not trying to call you out but what basis do you have for these comments?  When did Shady ever not act like a team guy?  Always praised his o-line. Never complained about QB play.  Played hurt in playoff game.  And what has Gore done to be a mentor?  I have no idea and nobody else does.  Gore is saying all the right things but so did Shady.  I have nothing against Gore. To last in this league he must be a good locker room presence.  Thought it was a good signing at the time.  I don't agree with cutting Shady and think he probably has more total yards than either Gore or Singletary with the Chiefs.  But time to move on and hope youth will win the day.