Bruce Smith clip on TNT Sports - anyone remember this?

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sadly, I remember Bruce's fall vividly.  Not his finest moment.  

Once when I was a young lieutenant in Korea, I did something similar.  Up most of the night doing unspeakable things.  Next day we were listening to some lecture in the motor pool and I fell asleep standing up.  I awakened as a I was falling and desperately grabbed onto the guy next to me - who happened to be a major.  He was not even slightly amused when I dragged him down with me.  "Lieutenant, what the hell are you doing?!?!"  Wasn't much I could say in the way of an explanation.  

Kunsan or Osan? those bases got the best of a lot of young enlisted and officers!

I’m sorry.  The most memorable thing about that clip is Alberts repeating ‘Flutie start of the season’ as Bruce is laying there.  Even if you think Bruce fell because he’s wasted, you don’t keep rambling and stumbling over your lines like a malfunctioning cyborg.  You either show some concern or you show disgust that he’s a drunken mess.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m sorry.  The most memorable thing about that clip is Alberts repeating ‘Flutie start of the season’ as Bruce is laying there.  Even if you think Bruce fell because he’s wasted, you don’t keep rambling and stumbling over your lines like a malfunctioning cyborg.  You either show some concern or you show disgust that he’s a drunken mess.  

That guy is the worst host ever

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I vividly recall this.

This happens frequently in the military when people lock their knees while standing at attention. 

At the time, the team doc made clear he had the flu and was dehydrated.  Could have been cover but having seen Bruce in person many times, I believed him. 

Thurman? Not so much. Saw him verbally b*tch slap two kids looking for autographs and my respect instantly fell. That was at Bruce’s gold tournament in Virginia. Andre was with him and said, “Come on, man.”

Yeah.  Locked knees and improper breathing can lead to fainting.  It's why you see chorus singers faint sometimes.  Alcohol increases heart rate and blood pressure too.

Edited by Doc Brown

I've seen plenty of guys go down from parade rest or the position of attention just like that, with zero substances involved. A few of them busted the backs of their heads open on the parade deck. 

Never, ever, stand with your knees locked.

32 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Hard to be sarcastic in a post - he was known to drink.

Yea, love the guy. Even had a couple of drinks with him back in the day. Really nice and personable, to me at least. He saw me wearing a pair of his sneakers, thanked me and bought me a drink the 1st time. Ran into him a 2nd time, he remembered and bought me another, even though I offered this time. Obviously, if he had hurt himself during the fall, not so funny.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  Locked knees and improper breathing can lead to fainting.  It's why you see chorus singers faint sometimes.  Alcohol increases heart rate and blood pressure too.

Yeah this happened to me once taking a leak had woke up and walked upstairs to take a leak, must have locked my knees have awake and same thing. My roommate at the time was military and said that was his guess