CT Bills Backers?

MarkMiller

17 hours ago, bobs0108 said:

I also enjoy living in New London CT myself and if I want to watch the game at a bar I went to Hot Rods since they had all the games but it’s not a Bills place and it’s to far. I have Sunday Ticket since I moved back so I don’t go anymore. 

Connecticut is a great place to live, but there are conditions.

1.  It's expensive.  Taxes, gasoline, housing, food, everything.

2.  It's not a great job market.   Except in some pockets, the economy here is pretty stagnant. 

3.  It's quiet - if you're looking for an exciting nightlife, Connecticut isn't it.

4.  It's east coast, all the way.  They drink soda here, not pop.  More importantly, there's the east-coast elitest air of superiority - many people here can't understand why anyone would want to live in Buffalo or anyplace in the midwest.  

5.  Did I say it's expensive?

I've been here 40 years and I love it, despite the shortcomings.   There's a lot to do, people are nice, New York City and Boston are short drives away - I can drive to either city in less time than it takes a Buffalonian to drive to Syracuse or Cleveland.  Not knocking Syracuse or Cleveland, but ....

1 minute ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Use to be an OK crowd in Danbury...can't recall name of the bar tho...?

Wheels, are you still in CT?   

Wasn't the Danbury place Billy Beane's?

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Connecticut is a great place to live, but there are conditions.

1.  It's expensive.  Taxes, gasoline, housing, food, everything.

2.  It's not a great job market.   Except in some pockets, the economy here is pretty stagnant. 

3.  It's quiet - if you're looking for an exciting nightlife, Connecticut isn't it.

4.  It's east coast, all the way.  They drink soda here, not pop.  More importantly, there's the east-coast elitest air of superiority - many people here can't understand why anyone would want to live in Buffalo or anyplace in the midwest.  

5.  Did I say it's expensive?

I've been here 40 years and I love it, despite the shortcomings.   There's a lot to do, people are nice, New York City and Boston are short drives away - I can drive to either city in less time than it takes a Buffalonian to drive to Syracuse or Cleveland.  Not knocking Syracuse or Cleveland, but ....

Wheels, are you still in CT?   

Wasn't the Danbury place Billy Beane's?

That was it, Billy Beanes. And as long as the business is still running....yes, I'm stuck here! ?

(You know I kid, I love the state, born and raised here, love the nature and the people...I just can't believe the governmental idiocy. Our broke ass state still won't legalize pot--though anyone can just drive into Massachusetts now and buy it legally, and bring it back. But we WILL BRING BACK TOLLS!!!! Sorry, rant over!)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

That was it, Billy Beanes. And as long as the business is still running....yes, I'm stuck here! ?

(You know I kid, I love the state, born and raised here, love the nature and the people...I just can't believe the governmental idiocy. Our broke ass state still won't legalize pot--though anyone can just drive into Massachusetts now and buy it legally, and bring it back. But we WILL BRING BACK TOLLS!!!! Sorry, rant over!)

We SHOULD bring back the tolls.   Now there's a ridiculous double whammy, as far as the state's revenue is concerned:  I drive to Massachusetts and pay tolls on their roads, then go to their dispensary (speaking theoretically, of course!) and pay 20% to the state to buy THEIR pot.  Why shouldn't Connecticut collect both of those from me, instead of Massachusetts?

Weed will be legal soon enough in CT. Connecticut is crazy expensive but like Shaw said there’s a lot of advantages also. I always say I don’t take many vacations because our life here is like a vacation always doing something . Good golf courses, water sports on LI Sound, proximity to NYC, Foxwoods @ Mohegan Sun, great bar and restaurant scenes in countless towns in Westchester and Fairfield . And of course the 6 hour drive to WNY!! 

30 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Weed will be legal soon enough in CT. Connecticut is crazy expensive but like Shaw said there’s a lot of advantages also. I always say I don’t take many vacations because our life here is like a vacation always doing something . Good golf courses, water sports on LI Sound, proximity to NYC, Foxwoods @ Mohegan Sun, great bar and restaurant scenes in countless towns in Westchester and Fairfield . And of course the 6 hour drive to WNY!! 

Love that six-hour drive.  Bengals, baby!  Can't wait. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

We SHOULD bring back the tolls.   Now there's a ridiculous double whammy, as far as the state's revenue is concerned:  I drive to Massachusetts and pay tolls on their roads, then go to their dispensary (speaking theoretically, of course!) and pay 20% to the state to buy THEIR pot.  Why shouldn't Connecticut collect both of those from me, instead of Massachusetts?

Bah! Because IMO NO STATE should have tolls. You already paid for the roads, as politicians love to tell you, with your taxes. Remember how every politician always falls back on "don't you like roads, schools and (used to be) hospitals? That's your taxes at work!" You already paid for that road!

And to me, the thing is here, we aren't a thoroughfare to get anywhere. You pay to ride on I90 in MA because it takes you somewhere worth going, or to work. It's a major highway with huge out of state use.  You pay to use bridges etc to get into NYC and NYS state, as they are major travel routes which get you somewhere worth going. Those tolls target out of state users on heavy use roads who contribute lots of wear that they don't pay taxes on (I still don't agree with that conceptually, but it at least makes some sense)

CT tolls are largely only going to target normal CT residents. Nobody from NY rides 84 to MA or vice versa for work, or into CT. But lots of CT residents use the Merritt or 91 or 84 to get to work.  So it's just CT gov squeezing more and more money from a smaller and smaller user base. No wonder everyone is leaving!

(seriously, our work truck box truck breaks down once a year, or needs work. We rent one to cover the week. You can't even GET rentals around here any more. The trucks leave the states with the folks moving and never come back!.)

36 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I hope so. I'm a conservative guy but the Republicans here are largely clueless on pot IMO. Some of them still think Reefer Madness is a documentary. :lol:

And you've got out of staters like Luke Niforatos peddling nonsense to scare people. So aggravating. But, as Yankees (the good kind, not the NY one), we persevere!

On 9/2/2019 at 2:20 PM, MarkMiller said:

Hey fellas!  Recently moved to the Stamford, CT area and haven’t had any luck locating a Bills Backers bar. The list on the Bills site is outdated and any info I’ve found from old threads on here is filled with bars that have since closed. 

Any help here would be massively appreciated!

Edited by MassHog

18 minutes ago, MassHog said:

I live in Stamford CT. Best bet for football action is Bobby V's, they'll have every game on, and this week the main game will be on their giant tv. Thats a better option than Buffalo Wild Wings. I run a craft beer shop 25 minutes away that always puts the Bills games on the TV, but I will be away as I am going to the first 3 weeks of games and then Oktoberfest in Munich.

That being said, there are a ton of Bills fans and it probably wouldn't be hard to get a new Backers Bar started in Stamford.

Good info! Thanks, man. I’m in Rowayton so not too far. Think I might check out Bradford’s this weekend. What’s the name of the shop you run? 

59 minutes ago, MassHog said:

I live in Stamford CT. Best bet for football action is Bobby V's, they'll have every game on, and this week the main game will be on their giant tv. Thats a better option than Buffalo Wild Wings. I run a craft beer shop 25 minutes away that always puts the Bills games on the TV, but I will be away as I am going to the first 3 weeks of games and then Oktoberfest in Munich.

That being said, there are a ton of Bills fans and it probably wouldn't be hard to get a new Backers Bar started in Stamford.

You coming to the opener?

we have a brewmaster or 2 park with us sometimes. 

Might be at the home opener. 

On 9/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, MarkMiller said:

Good info! Thanks, man. I’m in Rowayton so not too far. Think I might check out Bradford’s this weekend. What’s the name of the shop you run? 

Edited by MassHog

1 hour ago, MassHog said:

My place is half craft beer bar & half store, its called Brew & Co. in Bedford Hills NY. About 25 minutes from Stamford

Yeah I will be at the games the first 3 weeks. Just need to find some tickets for this one sunday

Cool!  I'll try and check it out this Fall.