Top 5 ol as of today, Kroft running routes & Kyle is coaching up the DL

Reed83HOF

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

I hear you, but I disagree. RT is a more premium position. We spent a 2nd round pick on Cody Ford. I want to be absolutely sure that my young draft pick can't play right tackle before I settle him at guard for the rest of his career.

I get the feeling it will work itself out naturally, any way. The two "weakest" looking parts of our o-line right now are Feliciano at RG and Ford at RT. If that proves to be the case on the field, they'll quickly move Ford to RG and Nsekhe to RT and all will be right with the world....unless a tackle gets hurt, then suddenly Connor McDermott is in the lineup.

I'm worried about the "quickly" part. It's not like they are known for make quick adjustments. I think he has a longer leash than you think. 

1 minute ago, eball said:

There's a great article over at The Athletic about the state of the Bills' OL.  It was a real eye-opener to read the current status of players the Bills opened with in 2018 on their OL.  I think most of them are currently unsigned.

It's literally night and day going into this season.

I think that this is a make or break year for Dawkins and that they are deep enough to handle it. He has seemed awfully slow and easily beat on pass protection. It's very reassuring that we even drafted two TEs that are good blockers. Huge improvement this year.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Welp folks... just an observation here... The Bill o line has former starters as depth and back ups.  That feels like a new place for us. 

Not to mention trading some guys that were probably going to be cut.

A look back at the crew that began last season in a downpour against the Baltimore Ravens and each lineman’s current status:

Left tackle Dion Dawkins is back in the same role.
Left guard Ducasse is unsigned.
Center Ryan Groy is unsigned.
Right guard John Miller is starting there for the Cincinnati Bengals.
Right tackle Jordan Mills is unsigned.
Tackle Marshall Newhouse played that day and is unsigned.
Bodine dressed but did not play.
Inactive were Conor McDermott, who is back with the Bills, and Teller.
The practice squad included Gerhard de Beer, De’Ondre Wesley and Ruben Holcomb, all unsigned.

https://theathletic.com/1178480/2019/09/02/from-diluted-to-dominant-bills-o-line-leaves-2018-in-distant-past/

I definitely was wrong about Groy, I thought he was going to be solid. I can't believe Mills lasted so long.

This is just year one of the O-line rebuild. Hopefully next year they'll only have to add a piece or two to continue to build a very good line. Let's just hope this year's is good enough to properly develop Allen and allow them to put together an offense that resembles a legitimate 2019 NFL offense. I'd like to think it is, but I've been fooled before.

Kudos to Beane and McDermott for addressing the player and coaching side of the O-line.

5 hours ago, mattynh said:

Nsekhe may still be banged up.   Possibly if fully healthy it would have been Ford and  Nsekhe.  With injuries, say to Dawkins, they could  move guys around Nsekhe moving to LT, Ford to RT, maybe they dont want to plan to have one guy go down so three changes are needed, who knows.  I would not assume anything is set in stone right now though.

I think he may be too.  I believe WED is the first day the Bills have to submit an injury report to the league.

I love this crew, but my best guess is we'll see it switched up a least a couple of times during the season before they settle on a solid line-up. 

Terrific call to keep 10 OL on the roster. It's too hard to find a workable O-Lineman if someone gets hurt early on. Either that, or they're keeping CM as trade bait - you can never have too many sixth-round draft picks. 

13 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

Maybe Kyle is having a problem letting go. It seems like he has been here forever, through thick and thin and reality hasnt set in yet. If he can't play anymore, he can at least keep the bond with the team and help out. I say hire him in some capacity and keep him connected.

I think he can also sniff a good season coming, and after all the terrible ones he's been through probably wants to make sure he's a part of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

I think he can also sniff a good season coming, and after all the terrible ones he's been through probably wants to make sure he's a part of it.

Yes, and even though he just left...it is still fresh for him. I guess we would have to be him to know, but maybe it is his way of giving back and being a part of this.

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes, and even though he just left...it is still fresh for him. I guess we would have to be him to know, but maybe it is his way of giving back and being a part of this.

Yup, I don't blame him either. If we were to somehow win the Super Bowl he definitely should get a ring

Just now, RobbRiddick said:

Yup, I don't blame him either. If we were to somehow win the Super Bowl he definitely should get a ring

Kyle kept that DL together during some difficult times. If not a ring, he certainly belongs up on that wall.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not sure he wants the full time grind of coaching. I think, for now, this suits Kyle better. Splitting his time between Buffalo and Louisiana between his family and his football family. I wonder where the kids are due to go to school this fall? The great thing for Kyle is that under this regime I think the door is open for him to do that because of the mutual trust and respect there is between he and McDermott and Beane. Maybe in a couple of years time when his kids are a little older Kyle will want to commit himself to coaching. But that is a 24/7 job basically 11 months out of 12. I don't blame him for wanting to enjoy some years with his family taking priority.

What he actually said is "We drafted him to play right tackle. That is where we see him starting for us."

I don't think the Bills have moved one iota from that stance. Cody Ford is here to be the right tackle of the Buffalo Bills for the next decade unless he shows that he can't do that in which case they will slide him inside.

No doubt. He's got a lot going on down south. What's better than showing up as the MAN, giving some young players (who almost certainly have a ton of respect for you) some pointers, and heading back home? I think he's good with this set-up. Don't think he's strapped for 1-2 100k at the moment.

Disagree a bit on Ford. I'd feel much more comfortable with the OL with Nike at RT and Ford at G. Gotta assume a couple of factors; their desire for Ford to play RT and wanting to get Feliciano on the field. Don't love it, but that's how they'll roll....for now.

Edited by LSHMEAB

I realize that Bates will probably be an inactive a lot of this season.....but he frankly has really shown me something especially at center.   If he is only backing up at center I hope he is inactive every game

but

I am going over the pre season games....the kid can play....I wonder if he is not a future left guard if Spain is only a one year rental.