Safety Josh Jones visiting Bills

YoloinOhio

Sometimes in life you can begin to get a little cocky until something dramatically humbles you.  I know that happened in my life, when I was younger I was the top producer for a company that I worked for, thought that this level of production allowed me to say and do things that were outside of normal bounds and one day the owner of the company invited me out for dinner and essentially fired me.    Talk about a wake up call.  

Not saying that would be the case here but it's worth exploring and laying out the clear ground rules.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Sometimes in life you can begin to get a little cocky until something dramatically humbles you.  I know that happened in my life, when I was younger I was the top producer for a company that I worked for, thought that this level of production allowed me to say and do things that were outside of normal bounds and one day the owner of the company invited me out for dinner and essentially fired me.    Talk about a wake up call.  

Not saying that would be the case here but it's worth exploring and laying out the clear ground rules.

Wow he actually took you out to dinner just to fire you? Why not just fire you without the dinner lol? That’s ruthless right there 

1 minute ago, DBilz2500 said:

Wow he actually took you out to dinner just to fire you? Why not just fire you without the dinner lol? That’s ruthless right there 

Yep, he is a British guy and took me out to a popular sports bar and was very friendly about it and how I had a lot to look forward to in life but that I had alot of maturing to do and wished me the best.   I was shell shocked to say the least.   In retrospect I'm glad he did it, it humbled me not to mention it led to a course of events that I wouldn't have traded for anything.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked him coming out. Thought he want a round too high if my memory serves (will check my grade on him tonight). He got a bit lost in the shuffle in Green Bay and was never an ideal fit for what Pettine runs which possibly hurt him too.

Agree with Bandit - if they sign him then Siran Neal would be the most obvious guy in danger in terms of skillset. However, if they cut Neal that means they are down to 4 corners. For me signing Jones would have to come with the signing of another corner too and then maybe you release both Marlowe and Neal.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked him coming out. Thought he want a round too high if my memory serves (will check my grade on him tonight). He got a bit lost in the shuffle in Green Bay and was never an ideal fit for what Pettine runs which possibly hurt him too.

Agree with Bandit - if they sign him then Siran Neal would be the most obvious guy in danger in terms of skillset. However, if they cut Neal that means they are down to 4 corners. For me signing Jones would have to come with the signing of another corner too and then maybe you release both Marlowe and Neal.

I'm thinking that Jones would be the backup slot and big nickel go-to...basically Neal's role.

He does not sound like a week 1 on the roster player.  I think he is someone they will get more information on, maybe do a little testing and see how roster looks after two weeks UNLESS he is eligible for PS.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Watch Green Bay games when I can since favorite NFC team and he seemed a feast or famine player.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm thinking that Jones would be the backup slot and big nickel go-to...basically Neal's role.

Yea - I think he is that big nickel guy definitely. But he has even less corner experience than Neal. So then you are painfully thin at corner. Your next move is shifting Poyer or Hyde out there..... and I don't think our backup safeties are so good that I am desperate to break up a strength of our team to cover a gap at corner.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Could tie into week 2 moves when Captain is back on the roster.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He does not sound like a week 1 on the roster player.  I think he is someone they will get more information on, maybe do a little testing and see how roster looks after two weeks UNLESS he is eligible for PS.

Watch Green Bay games when I can since favorite NFC team and he seemed a feast or famine player.

He would be PS eligible as one of the 4 exceptions I think. He only came into the league in the 2017 draft so he can't have 3 vested seasons.

Just now, GG said:

Could tie into week 2 moves when Captain is back on the roster.

Possible. I wouldn't be racing to bring the Captain back though.

• Like (+1) 1

Jones is another talented and athletic player that McDermott can plug in to this defense...It is always a bonus to have players with his skill set. After being in the league for a few years, a change of scenary may give him some direction...he looks like a fit.

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He is following path blazed by Micah 

Edited by Rocket94

Physically, he's a perfect safety.  McBeane will have to decide if they think he can become a "process" guy.   If the guy were to buy in, he could be a huge addition.  I don't think they overlapped in Packerland at all, but maybe Micah Hyde could be a positive influence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Very similar thing happened to me many decades ago. The boss took me out to dinner, didn't fire me, but had a off the record discussion to tell me I was an a**hole and a jerk to deal with. And no matter how good I was at my job, I wasn't worth the effort to him or others.  He gave some examples and it was hard to listen to, but I knew he was right. It was a change moment for me as I mistook being the best for being ruthless, and frankly, being like that took a lot of energy for me as it really wasn't my nature. Made changes, made friends and grew considerably. We still keep in contact and are friends. He did me a big favor. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Isn't the fact that Jones was very unhappy as a back-up in Green Bay a potential red flag?  No way he's starting ahead of Hyde or Poyer.  He'd probably line-up behind Coleman as well.

Remember Jordan Phillips?

Sometimes a player has a legitimate gripe and sometimes they're just malcontents. A guy as talented as Jones is certainly worth bringing in to see what's what.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Remember Jordan Phillips?

Sometimes a player has a legitimate gripe and sometimes they're just malcontents. A guy as talented as Jones is certainly worth bringing in to see what's what.

Right on. I say bring Jones in here and introduce him to this defense and get a feel of where he is at. At this stage, he probably wants a change. He seems to fit in this system and he may buy in to it. Jones is a low risk, high reward option and he possesses a great combination of size, speed, and toughness. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1