Safety Josh Jones visiting Bills

YoloinOhio

I absolutely love that the Bills are bringing this guy in. 

In my opinion, he has the ability to be a big part of the Bills defense in 3-safety looks or as a key reserve.

This is awesome.

Oh, and one more thing: For a brief, shining second, I thought I was gonna be the guy to bring this scoop to TBD, but then I saw that Yolo already did it. Because of course! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

In my opinion, he has the ability to be a big part of the Bills defense in 3-safety looks or as a key reserve.

This is awesome.

Oh, and one more thing: For a brief, shining second, I thought I was gonna be the guy to bring this scoop to TBD, but then I saw that Yolo already did it. Because of course! ?

Nobody can out-scoop yolo!!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gee, he doesn't sound like a team-first "process" guy in that article...or in this one:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/27/packers-gm-explains-decision-to-release-s-josh-jones/

"Sunday’s release provided an anticlimactic end to a two-year stint in Green Bay that saw Jones flash impressive playmaking ability but also frustrate coaches with an inability to handle the safety role and a disinterest in playing linebacker."

"Often, when a disappointing player without a role becomes a potential distraction, the player is removed. That’s exactly what happened with Jones in Green Bay."

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

OVERVIEW

Jones was not a household name outside of the Research Triangle during his time at North Carolina State, and was snubbed for all-conference honors by ACC coaches. League media recognized that he was an impact defender for the Wolfpack, however, giving him honorable mention notice in 2016 after he led the team with 109 tackles (four for loss) and three interceptions, also breaking up eight passes. Jones had started eight games as a true freshman, finishing second in the ACC with four interceptions (he also had seven pass break-ups for the year). In 2015, he was a solid starter but lacked many big plays (63 tackles, 2.5 for loss, one INT, two PBU).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Possesses prototypical combination of size and speed. Has acceleration and top-end speed to range all over the field. Plus athletic ability and reactive quickness. Has ability to disguise his coverage before sprinting back to centerfield. Has experience with both safety spots. Fluid in his movement and is an explosive leaper when challenging at the high-point. Has the ball skills to rake it or take it. Plays with eager eyes that stay glued to quarterback's intentions. Has the closing burst to challenge throws. Extremely aggressive. Bouncy feet can't wait to fire downhill and hit something. Accelerates through the collision. Does a good job of punching and playing off of blockers.

WEAKNESSES

His aggression is a double-edged sword. Will come in too hot looking to lay the lumber and end up missing his mark as a tackler. Needs to do better job of coming to balance as a tackler. From zone coverage, can be a little slow to anticipate routes and squeeze the throwing windows. Gets hyper-focused on quarterback and will lose track of his assignments. Will bite on play-action bait and get drawn out of position.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2

SOURCES TELL US

"This guy would just as soon hit you as look at you on the football field. Hey, it's fun to watch his tape because he's already got that NFL mentality to him, but he gets way out of control too. I saw that early on in the tape. You've got to rein him in a little bit." - AFC defensive backs coach

NFL COMPARISON

Mike Mitchell

BOTTOM LINE

Jones is a height-weight-speed prospect to be sure, but he's not just a traits-based safety. Jones has the appetite for hitting that teams will want around the box and he has the speed and ball skills to range and help against vertical threats from a deep safety spot. The big area of concern will be Jones' ability to play with better discipline in coverage and as a tackler. He has the ability to become a good, long-time starter in the league.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Gee, he doesn't sound like a team-first "process" guy in that article...or in this one:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/27/packers-gm-explains-decision-to-release-s-josh-jones/

"Sunday’s release provided an anticlimactic end to a two-year stint in Green Bay that saw Jones flash impressive playmaking ability but also frustrate coaches with an inability to handle the safety role and a disinterest in playing linebacker."

"Often, when a disappointing player without a role becomes a potential distraction, the player is removed. That’s exactly what happened with Jones in Green Bay."

Nope he sure doesn’t 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I figure this is why they're bringing him in for a visit rather than just signing him immediately. I bet they want to talk to him and see what happened and see if he's somebody they think can get right in the Bills locker room.

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

This is awesome.

...you seriously didn't think McBeane was taking Labor Day off, right??...........:D

• Like (+1) 1