Eye-opening piece about QBs and baseball

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

What was unique about Kelly coming out of HS is that he was a genuinely elite HS defensive player, evidenced by his being recruited as a LB by Joe Pa, the coach at Linebacker U. Playing LB at a high level also brings a highly useful skill set to any prospective qb.

I think he was just looking for another TE for Sandusky.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Correlation does not equal causation.  QB’s are usually your best athletes that can also throw.  SS’s are also usually your best athletes that can throw.  Not sure playing SS helps you play QB other than the fact that there’s overlap in required skill set.  

This. When I played the best athletes played SS, CF or catcher in baseball. Same guys usually played QB in football, unless they were on the shorter side. The article doesn’t seem too surprising to me.

A lot of people seem here to seem to think that the best athletes in the NFL were playing SS in HS (hence—and contra Gil Brandt, who knows a little something about evaluation—the shaky “correlation does not equal causation” claims). News flash: most weren’t. None of the D-linemen were, and many of the most famous WRs/DBs were failed basketball prospects (too short,  basically - Moulds, TO, etc.) who were playing in environments where baseball wasn’t really a major talent sponge at the HS level. I also expect that very few of the TEs and almost none of the LBs/RBs were either.  Moreover, you have to be able to THROW HARD AND ACCURATELY to be any good at SS.  You do not have to throw hard and accurately at ANY position in football except the QB position. Footwork is one thing, but if you can’t throw really well, you are worthless as a baseball player.

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Shortstop is all about footwork, which is why your best athlete usually plays there.

It’s just as much about throwing. You can have the best footwork in the world, but if you can throw accurately and with velocity, you won’t be playing SS.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..very interesting find bud........is it agility combined with quickness to read & react?.....both are vital components to their teams with those traits being a priority....

Yeah, i think so, but also having the ability to throw accurately off balance. Good baseball programs teach that relentlessly at the SS position.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thank you to baseball for helping the NFL get some talent that can physically play the QB position.

I shudder to think of some of the QB prospects I "evaluated" back in the 1990's...........it was disgusting.

We have a faction of folks on here who think baseball is a dying sport but in reality enrollment in youth baseball is growing rapidly (LL enrollment alone is up around 2.7 million kids since 2014.....which is an incredible amount.....and doesn't account for competing leagues like Cal Ripken and travel ball).

With more players and the ability to learn how to play the game quickly thanks to newly available technology the skill at the top levels of baseball has increased more over the past 25 years than any of the other big 4 sports.........even basketball.

And ultimately it's a great sport to develop physical skills at a young age without causing much wear and tear.

But with international markets also expanding there is a bottleneck at the process of getting into and developing in pro baseball.

That's where football and the QB position come in............high paying job,  lot's of glory and no excess of supply.  

It's only fitting that the NFL has yet again found another partner to develop it's talent for free.:thumbsup:

Murray is the ultimate case in point here. Who knows if he would have even made the majors beyond a few September call-ups? In the NFL, he is already starting!

Makes perfect sense really. The keys to playing SS are anticipation, instinct, lateral movement, and the ability to throw multiple speeds from multiple distances to multiple targets(first, second, third, and home) QUICKLY. 

Stands to reason that this experience as a kid would be beneficial all the way through the ranks for a quarterback. Can't really think of a more apt positional sports comparison than SS and QB.

People would probably just assume a QB was an elite pitcher, but pitching doesn't require the same level of movement and anticipation. Throwing from a more or less stationary position just isn't the same thing. Many, many QB's with big arms have come and gone in the league. If you combine the instinct and anticipation required to excel at short with a big arm, much lower fail rate.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think he was just looking for another TE for Sandusky.

Too soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

It’s just as much about throwing. You can have the best footwork in the world, but if you can throw accurately and with velocity, you won’t be playing SS.

Throwing accuracy has a lot to do with footwork. If your lower body isn't positioned properly the ball isn't going where you want it to. 

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Very interesting.  At first, I was kind of shocked because the listed a lot of big QBs and, traditionally, SS is not played by big dudes.

some shortstops were of size, Banks and Cal Jr were up there for their day

couldn't convince a friend that Jim Fregosi was a SS in his day, Jim wasn't lacking in the gut during his Jays managerial stint