Eye-opening piece about QBs and baseball

dave mcbride

Very interesting.  At first, I was kind of shocked because the listed a lot of big QBs and, traditionally, SS is not played by big dudes.

Reading through, however, most of the big QBs "played some SS," so the writer kind of forced his point.

I think it makes sense that some of the fundamentals from baseball translate into, not only QB, but to football, in general.  The basic, "sports stance," is relevant in baseball, football, basketball and even wrestling.  Staying square whilst moving laterally - that's good form in many sports.

The throwing on the run piece is what's a little different.

Since Mahomes "took the world by storm" with his no look passes, etc., people have been talking about the baseball link and - in the end - I think that's the only reason this article was written.

I think the more accurate connection would be to say that most/all elite QBs also excelled at other sports before becoming professional football players.

Great read, though, and thanks for sharing!!

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Very interesting.  At first, I was kind of shocked because the listed a lot of big QBs and, traditionally, SS is not played by big dudes.

Reading through, however, most of the big QBs "played some SS," so the writer kind of forced his point.

I think it makes sense that some of the fundamentals from baseball translate into, not only QB, but to football, in general.  The basic, "sports stance," is relevant in baseball, football, basketball and even wrestling.  Staying square whilst moving laterally - that's good form in many sports.

Since Mahomes "took the world by storm" with his no look passes, etc., people have been talking about the baseball link and - in the end - I think that's the only reason this article was written.

I think the more accurate connection would be to say that most/all elite QBs also excelled at other sports before becoming professional football players.

My pleasure! Did you see the Gil Brandt quote about always avoiding right fielders (a big-arm position that requires a wind up)? Josh A played RF (along with pitcher and first base). ? (I don’t read too much into this factoid!)

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

My pleasure! Did you see the Gil Brandt quote about always avoiding right fielders (a big-arm position)? Josh A played RF (along with pitcher and first base). ?

LOL, yes I did see that!!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup I have thought this for a while...I believe JA played baseball too- a pitcher perhaps?

Says later on in the article: "Buffalo’s Josh Allen, who when he wasn’t pitching in high school in Firebaugh, Calif., played first base and right field, where he said in an interview he’d charge liners and try to gun down runners at first"

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

?

Of course Jim Kelly was a maverick and did not play baseball. 

What was unique about Kelly coming out of HS is that he was a genuinely elite HS defensive player, evidenced by his being recruited as a LB by Joe Pa, the coach at Linebacker U. Playing LB at a high level also brings a highly useful skill set to any prospective qb.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Correlation does not equal causation.  QB’s are usually your best athletes that can also throw.  SS’s are also usually your best athletes that can throw.  Not sure playing SS helps you play QB other than the fact that there’s overlap in required skill set.  

Well, virtually every qb quoted here - and there are a lot of good ones - said that playing SS helped them immensely, and Gil Brandt seems to think it helps ...

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Correlation does not equal causation.  QB’s are usually your best athletes that can also throw.  SS’s are also usually your best athletes that can throw.  Not sure playing SS helps you play QB other than the fact that there’s overlap in required skill set.  

My first thought was similar;  short stop is where the best bb players want to play, and since the best athletes make the NFL those same best athletes probably got to play SS in baseball. 

Im betting a very high percentage of nfl players were QB or RB as kids, no matter what they are now.

i also suspect just about any skill position player in the NFL played ‘some’ shortstop if they played baseball. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What was unique about Kelly coming out of HS is that he was a genuinely elite HS defensive player, evidenced by his being recruited as a LB by Joe Pa, the coach at Linebacker U. Playing LB at a high level also brings a highly useful skill set to any prospective qb.

Needless to say the Other Josh never played LB, evidenced by his inability to see that linebacker is after his scrawny butt.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Yeah, it isn’t  a stretch to think that a person who is athletic enough to play QB in the NFL also played the position in baseball that typically requires the most athleticism. 

Thank you to baseball for helping the NFL get some talent that can physically play the QB position.

I shudder to think of some of the QB prospects I "evaluated" back in the 1990's...........it was disgusting.

We have a faction of folks on here who think baseball is a dying sport but in reality enrollment in youth baseball is growing rapidly (LL enrollment alone is up around 2.7 million kids since 2014.....which is an incredible amount.....and doesn't account for competing leagues like Cal Ripken and travel ball).

With more players and the ability to learn how to play the game quickly thanks to newly available technology the skill at the top levels of baseball has increased more over the past 25 years than any of the other big 4 sports.........even basketball.

And ultimately it's a great sport to develop physical skills at a young age without causing much wear and tear.

But with international markets also expanding there is a bottleneck at the process of getting into and developing in pro baseball.

That's where football and the QB position come in............high paying job,  lot's of glory and no excess of supply.  

It's only fitting that the NFL has yet again found another partner to develop it's talent for free.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I was going to write something similar.

The NFL is littered with phenomenal athletes, at all positions, who had one thing in common: they were the star QB of their high school team.  

Does that somehow correlate to their current positions?  

Good athletes play sports and the best kids on the team play the key positions.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, virtually every qb quoted here - and there are a lot of good ones - said that playing SS helped them immensely, and Gil Brandt seems to think it helps ...

Shortstop is all about footwork, which is why your best athlete usually plays there.