Anyone know how much players on the practice squad make?

tomur67

22 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Just wondering.  Would a guy like Duke Williams make more on the practice squad or more playing in the Canadian Football League?

CFL is a per diem of a Kit Kat bar and 10% at the Salvation Army for clothes and household goods

all the CFL players I knew had full time jobs in addition, most of them were high school teachers

3 hours ago, mrags said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

top 51 would make sense. I noticed in this link that there’s a specific separation for the top 51. 

So so in theory, the PS could count against the cap of we’re talking about paying a PS player a ton of money. But the likelihood of that happening doesn’t seem realistic. 

Not even including guys who get cut with big salaries the idea of paying a practice squad guy more than an actual guy who steps on the field seems dumb. Even a punter is more valuable than the best PS guy.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

top 51 would make sense. I noticed in this link that there’s a specific separation for the top 51. 

So so in theory, the PS could count against the cap of we’re talking about paying a PS player a ton of money. But the likelihood of that happening doesn’t seem realistic. 

You guys realize that the top 51 cap runs out this week don't you?

Before the season starts all teams have to be under the cap with their entire roster and all IR players salaries too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not even including guys who get cut with big salaries the idea of paying a practice squad guy more than an actual guy who steps on the field seems dumb. Even a punter is more valuable than the best PS guy.

Not if you are trying to keep the PS player for being picked off your Practice team. The team picking him up would have to assume the salary. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Not if you are trying to keep the PS player for being picked off your Practice team. The team picking him up would have to assume the salary. 

I was under the impression that you could claim a player off another practice squad  only by putting the player on your 53- if I am wrong let me know. So the player o

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I was under the impression that you could claim a player off another practice squad  only by putting the player on your 53- if I am wrong let me know. So the player o

You are right. But I believe the player himself has a say in it all. Obviously the majority of the time the player will agree to be pulled up to another teams 53. But if they are getting paid much more already why would they? Also, I believe the team picking said player off the practice squad would have to assume the salary. And a PS player making a half million a year would be a deterrent. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

You are right. But I believe the player himself has a say in it all. Obviously the majority of the time the player will agree to be pulled up to another teams 53. But if they are getting paid much more already why would they? Also, I believe the team picking said player off the practice squad would have to assume the salary. And a PS player making a half million a year would be a deterrent. 

I was under the impression that the PS player got a new, regular contract when he went to another team at a salary both parties agreed to, and that his PS salary was only week-to-week. But I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You guys realize that the top 51 cap runs out this week don't you?

Before the season starts all teams have to be under the cap with their entire roster and all IR players salaries too.

I am trying to clarify- the off-season payroll is top 51 but the real season is all players including practice squad? When does the calendar end for teams? Is it Feb to Feb or Sept to Sept? And lastly if you know does playoff money change budgets?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am trying to clarify- the off-season payroll is top 51 but the real season is all players including practice squad? When does the calendar end for teams? Is it Feb to Feb or Sept to Sept? And lastly if you know does playoff money change budgets?

Not sure, but I found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_squad

"The practice squad is only in effect during the regular season. During the offseason, players are instead signed to a reserve/future list; any person on a practice squad, or not on an active roster, is eligible for a futures contract. Such contracts count toward a team's 90-person offseason roster limit but do not count toward the team's salary cap until the start of the league fiscal year in March"

The reference cited in wikipedia is this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947667-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nfl-futures-contracts

1 hour ago, from_dunkirk said:

I was under the impression that the PS player got a new, regular contract when he went to another team at a salary both parties agreed to, and that his PS salary was only week-to-week. But I could be wrong.

That I admit I do not know. 

Only assuming the salary would follow just like a trade of a player. 

Either way, if a player is making 500k a year on the PS, it will deter another team from signing him. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Spotrac (which I use for all $ stuff) says Practice Squad is counted.

As to the NFL contract season it goes from Mar to Mar.

Playoff money is a bonus that I believe comes thru the league and is not part of the teams salary cap.

• Awesome! (+1) 1