Anyone know how much players on the practice squad make?

tomur67

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

If this is the case, then teams can use that to their advantage by offering  significantly more if they really want to keep that player but don't want them on the current roster.

A team, I think it was Denver, took a player off our PS and when he went back on they were giving him minimum main roster salary to keep him from going elsewhere.

3 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

Practice Squad salaries do count against the cap:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/31/20841047/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-roster-cuts-waiver-wire-how-it-works-philadelphia-eagles

"A team can pay a practice squad player however much they want to entice the player to stay on their practice squad. Practice squad salaries do count against a team’s cap space, however."

Presumably though, Christian Wade's salary does not count, since he has an exemption.

DBilz just said he was actually in an NFL Teams practice squad and did not count against the cap. I think we should take his word for it vs some eagles fan site pulling info from wherever. 

Imo I believe you are both right. I think the PS does count against the cap technically but from a different pool of funds that’s built in. Idk. Either way, I’ve never heard of a team being cash strapped and couldn’t sign a PS player or needed to cut one to find room. Doesn’t make sense. I’ll go with @DBilz2500 here. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

DBilz just said he was actually in an NFL Teams practice squad and did not count against the cap. I think we should take his word for it vs some eagles fan site pulling info from wherever. 

Imo I believe you are both right. I think the PS does count against the cap technically but from a different pool of funds that’s built in. Idk. Either way, I’ve never heard of a team being cash strapped and couldn’t sign a PS player or needed to cut one to find room. Doesn’t make sense. I’ll go with @DBilz2500 here. 

Interesting. I am not sure who is right, but Ryan Miller of the Democrat & Chronicle also says the salaries do count towards the salary cap:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/01/nfl-practice-squad-buffalo-bills-roster-tracker-cuts-eligible-salary-tracker-christian-wade/2186993001/

"There is no maximum salary but contracts count against the team's salary cap."

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Where did he say it doesn't count against the cap?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Ha! That guy. Man, everyone had a plan for that guy. “Put him in the slot, he’s a pure athlete in space.” 

Wonder what he’s up to.

He is coaching at some school or another.

1 hour ago, Dave Allen said:

Do players on the PS get all of the benefits - specifically, does Peko get health insurance for his family?

...I'm guessing, but I think as they are under contract, they qualify for same benefits per NFLPA/CBA as active 53 players....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm guessing, but I think as they are under contract, they qualify for same benefits per NFLPA/CBA as active 53 players....

I wonder if they need to pay COBRA between teams since many of them are cut during season and sign elsewhere a few weeks later.

Health insurance must be hard to get for an unemployed NFL player.

Just now, Limeaid said:

I wonder if they need to pay COBRA between teams since many of them are cut during season and sign elsewhere a few weeks later.

Health insurance must be hard to get for an unemployed NFL player.

....good question bud.......I'm guessing the NFL is self-insured......Excellus BC/BS or similar would have exorbitant rates due to potential for injury and terrible loss ratios......imagine the cost of ACL surgery followed by 9-12 months of rehab.....

14 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

I was wondering the same thing - more because I'm a softy and I want Peko to be able to take care of his family!

I'm betting Peko will be on the PS all season so he has health insurance for his wife.  The Pegulas have big hearts and won't leave him hanging.  Nice to see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Only the top 51 guys count against the cap so unless your practice squad guys is making more than active they do not count but they technically could.

That's what I was thinking - I know I've heard that before but Googling got me no confirmation.

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

The broncos signed Johnathan Williams for $500,000.00 to be on their PS

Yikes - at that number he might make their top 51.

7 hours ago, timekills17 said:

Where did he say it doesn't count against the cap?

His post has been removed. I’ll admit that’s odd. But if you scroll back up and look one of @from_dunkirk‘s posts, you will see he quoted @DBilz2500 saying that. 

I will admit that I was agreeing with someone who claimed they were actually on a PS in the NFL. Maybe they are full of it. Maybe they were mistaken. Either way, I was going along with someone who had first hand knowledge of it, not some reporter. Because most of the reporters were wrong about Wade and what could happen to his 11th PS roster spot as well. Beane confirmed it yesterday that he could not be taken by any other team. He would be on our PS no matter what until the spring. 

8 hours ago, from_dunkirk said:

Interesting. I am not sure who is right, but Ryan Miller of the Democrat & Chronicle also says the salaries do count towards the salary cap:

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/01/nfl-practice-squad-buffalo-bills-roster-tracker-cuts-eligible-salary-tracker-christian-wade/2186993001/

"There is no maximum salary but contracts count against the team's salary cap."

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Only the top 51 guys count against the cap so unless your practice squad guys is making more than active they do not count but they technically could.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

top 51 would make sense. I noticed in this link that there’s a specific separation for the top 51. 

So so in theory, the PS could count against the cap of we’re talking about paying a PS player a ton of money. But the likelihood of that happening doesn’t seem realistic. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, skibum said:

$8K a week is not bad at all! Much more than I would have expected- Especially considering the PS guys don’t get their bodies thrashed every week like the roster players do. 

PS guys get beat up way harder than roster players do during the regular season.

PS players basically are crash test dummies and are expected to keep going through ridiculous amounts of injuries