Anyone know how much players on the practice squad make?

tomur67

2 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Just wondering.  Would a guy like Duke Williams make more on the practice squad or more playing in the Canadian Football League?

Good question.  Saw this:  https://3downnation.com/2018/03/07/what-top-cfl-free-agents-got-paid/

There are a lot of basketball players who could make good money overseas but would rather play in the NBA G league because they are closer to their dream.  Could be the case here. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes its a $8000 minimum per week, but it can go higher depending on the player. They can be cut at anytime after 3 weeks and the PS money does count against the cap.

That was toilet paper money for Mike Jasper...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobChalmers said:

I was wondering the same thing - more because I'm a softy and I want Peko to be able to take care of his family!

the $8k per game is a minimum.  Teams can and do offer their PS players more.  They can also up their comp if another team tries to sign them to the 53.

PS players can and do say "Nah, I'm good!" in those circs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, skibum said:

$8K a week is not bad at all! Much more than I would have expected- Especially considering the PS guys don’t get their bodies thrashed every week like the roster players do. 

They actually get it worse in some cases

Some are used as tackling dummies

1 hour ago, skibum said:

$8K a week is not bad at all! Much more than I would have expected- Especially considering the PS guys don’t get their bodies thrashed every week like the roster players do. 

That is only for 17 weeks in the season ( 1/2 year salary).  They have to use that money to pay for their expenses for the whole year.  I am not sure what they get for being in TC.

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes its a $8000 minimum per week, but it can go higher depending on the player. They can be cut at anytime after 3 weeks and the PS money does count against the cap.

I thought they could be cut anytime? But the PS salaries do count against the cap.

Also, does Wade's salary count against the Bill's cap?

Edited by from_dunkirk

I was on an NFL practice squad for 2 years: 1st year made $8,500 per week for 16 weeks and $10000 for 1 week when we were in the playoffs. In my 2nd year I had accrued enough practice squad weeks that my salary went up to $12,500/week for 16 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

the $8k per game is a minimum.  Teams can and do offer their PS players more.  They can also up their comp if another team tries to sign them to the 53.

PS players can and do say "Nah, I'm good!" in those circs.

If this is the case, then teams can use that to their advantage by offering  significantly more if they really want to keep that player but don't want them on the current roster.

For me, that leads to the question: Do the salaries on the practice squad count against the team's salary cap?

12 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

If this is the case, then teams can use that to their advantage by offering  significantly more if they really want to keep that player but don't want them on the current roster.

For me, that leads to the question: Do the salaries on the practice squad count against the team's salary cap?

5 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Doesn’t count against team cap 

Practice Squad salaries do count against the cap:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/31/20841047/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-roster-cuts-waiver-wire-how-it-works-philadelphia-eagles

"A team can pay a practice squad player however much they want to entice the player to stay on their practice squad. Practice squad salaries do count against a team’s cap space, however."

Presumably though, Christian Wade's salary does not count, since he has an exemption.

Edited by from_dunkirk

8 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Practice Squad salaries do count against the cap:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/31/20841047/nfl-practice-squad-eligibility-salary-rules-roster-cuts-waiver-wire-how-it-works-philadelphia-eagles

"A team can pay a practice squad player however much they want to entice the player to stay on their practice squad. Practice squad salaries do count against a team’s cap space, however."

Presumably though, Christian Wade's salary does not count, since he has an exemption.

Thanks.  Was thinking that had to be the case or teams could take advantage of it.

Will now be interesting to see what the specific players are payed this year.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Ha! That guy. Man, everyone had a plan for that guy. “Put him in the slot, he’s a pure athlete in space.” 

Wonder what he’s up to.

I wondered too, found this- 

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/buffalo_bills/former-bills-lineman-mike-jasper-finds-path-in-coaching/article_6db4d6dd-e9d2-5b58-b681-9c94d04bc851.html

• Like (+1) 1