Florio: Texans "New Look No GM" Grades an "F"

OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

So I guess they’d be playing with the same LT that they had when they went 11-5.  And we haven’t even gotten into the fact that, if it was indeed such a big problem, why they didn’t do anything about it before that panic move.

I think they drafted a couple of o linemen this year. Just a couple panic move.  And I bet for just a 1st, they could have got Trent Williams. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

You have to take into account that these are not top 10 picks.  

Doesn't matter.  They traded away a better player in Clowney for just a (what will surely be a late) 3rd rounder.

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm waiting for someone to explain how the trade doesn't work for them?  They desperately needed o-line help, they got it.  Kenny Stills is arguably better than any WR we currently have on the roster.

It doesn’t work because they traded 2 first round picks for a mid level LT nearing the end of his contract.  

It is already known he wants significant money and they did this without signing him to a future contract.  Therefore they just screwed themselves with Clowney and now they put themselves in the same boat with Tunsil.

If they got a contract done and it was 1 first rd pick - great, but 2 firsts and no contract means they have potentially put themselves in a bind and get little return for a questionable talent.

14 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

They gave up a lot.  No doubting that, but desperate times call for desperate measures.  Where would they be without Tunsil?

The only reason they are "desperate" is because of a history of mismanagement like these 2 trades.

This Texans fan nailed it.

People are explaining this move as necessary because we need offensive line help. These people all miss the point in the first place. It's not whether the picks are worth it or not, but how in the world did it get to this sorry ass place from the beginning. Why is it that successful football teams able to keep their QBs from getting killed without having to spend all this but the Texans do? BOB talks about being like the Patriots but when was the last time the Patriots got so desperate they had to give away all their draft picks to cover a single position?

Every Texans move can be explained if you just look at that move individually. You can say Clowney should be traded for chemistry or whatever issues. You can say you don't want to pay Duane Brown. You can say you need to protect Watson so you have to get a left tackle. But a well-run team don't put themselves in such horrible positions in the first place. If Clowney was such a horrible teammate then he should've been traded back when he had trade value. If the Texans needed a left tackle they should've found a way to get it in the past 2 years through development or FA. If they felt Duane Brown wasn't worth the price tag then they should've found someone who was worth it. That's how the Patriots do things.

The Texans instead is that guy who forgot to buy plane tickets in advance and had to pay triple by buying the night before the flight. And then Texans fans then explain that he did the right thing to overpay because you can't just miss the flight instead.

Texans Forum

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The folks who are shitting on this trade are acting like the Texans traded for bums.  That's my point.  

And yes, when you're in "win now" mode, late round draft picks aren't as valuable.

Exactly.  A classic trade between teams with different competition windows. I think the problem here is BOB needs to win something - nothing less than a trip to the AFC championship game - to save his job, so his time horizon is 2019. But the Texans remain seriously flawed.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Clowney trade was a disaster as they let an all pro at a premium position leave in his prime and getting very little in return for what they gave up (a 3rd round pick, a former 1st round bust, and a bubble LB/DE).  They should've made up their mind on Clowney long ago when there were more teams in the market as they continued to lose leverage.

The only way the Tunsil trade works out is if he develops into a consistent elite player for at least the length of his contract and they compete for the Super Bowl.  Sills contributing at the same time would make the deal look like a good one in hindsight (I doubt it though).  Giving up more for Tunsil than Mack is crazy to me and BOB only chance at his job is winning now.

What does our PS WR have to do with the Texans and phins trade.??

Edited by formerlyofCtown

19 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Carr was such a good family man he was usually one of the last in and first out the door everyday.

LOL.

This all comes down to Tunsil. If Tunsil is the next Jason Peters than this is a fantastic trade for the Texans. They got a great player to protect their young franchise QB and open up some lanes in the run game. If Tunsil is just an average LT then it's a bad trade.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

47 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Exactly.  A classic trade between teams with different competition windows. I think the problem here is BOB needs to win something - nothing less than a trip to the AFC championship game - to save his job, so his time horizon is 2019. But the Texans remain seriously flawed.

Yes but is Tunsil that guy?  He isn't.  And WR wasn't a problem for them.  And they traded away a top pass rusher which hurts their defense.  Dumb moves all around.

27 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

This all comes down to Tunsil. If Tunsil is the next Jason Peters than this is a fantastic trade for the Texans. They got a great player to protect their young franchise QB and open up some lanes in the run game. If Tunsil is just an average LT then it's a bad trade.

He isn't even a top LT.  Hence the reason the Dols traded him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes but is Tunsil that guy?  He isn't.  And WR wasn't a problem for them.  And they traded away a top pass rusher which hurts their defense.  Dumb moves all around.

He isn't even a top LT.  Hence the reason the Dols traded him.

I agree. Tunsil and another middling WR won't vault the Texans into some kind of elite SB team.  But ... it's not only about BOB's desperation. We also have a wide open AFC. Get past the Pats and you have ... what? Will the Chiefs be able to replicate last season's offensive juggernaut? I doubt it, and that's a really poor defensive team. The Colts are out of the way. The Browns? Are they ready? Then there's the teams for which it's probably too soon (Bills/Jets), and the teams that may have missed their chance (Broncos, Titans?). So I don't think these trades were smart, but I get it.

The Saints and Patriots trade firsts when they make runs at it.....Tunsil fills their biggest need.  On offense.  And those picks will be in the 20s.  Who cares when you have a legit shot now and a franchise QB still in the rookie salary window.  And if you have that franchise QB and you know you're picking in the 20s....you trade for the starting LT.    

And since Fuller and Coutee can't stay on the field, they get a little insurance in Stills.

I'm not sure how they're better on D without Clowney.  

But if they're outscoring people than who cares.  

I like the move for Tunsil.  He was the best OT option and they pounced.  If this was us we'd be thrilled.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree. Tunsil and another middling WR won't vault the Texans into some kind of elite SB team.  But ... it's not only about BOB's desperation. We also have a wide open AFC. Get past the Pats and you have ... what? Will the Chiefs be able to replicate last season's offensive juggernaut? I doubt it, and that's a really poor defensive team. The Colts are out of the way. The Browns? Are they ready? Then there's the teams for which it's probably too soon (Bills/Jets), and the teams that may have missed their chance (Broncos, Titans?). So I don't think these trades were smart, but I get it.

I don't get it.  If BOB is in win now mode, trading Clowney, much less for a (likely late) 3rd round next year, hurts more than adding a marginal LT and 3rd WR.  Never mind the price he paid to get them.

33 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Saints and Patriots trade firsts when they make runs at it.....Tunsil fills their biggest need.  On offense.  And those picks will be in the 20s.  Who cares when you have a legit shot now and a franchise QB still in the rookie salary window.  And if you have that franchise QB and you know you're picking in the 20s....you trade for the starting LT.    

And since Fuller and Coutee can't stay on the field, they get a little insurance in Stills.

I'm not sure how they're better on D without Clowney.  

But if they're outscoring people than who cares.  

I like the move for Tunsil.  He was the best OT option and they pounced.  If this was us we'd be thrilled.

Few people would be thrilled.  Any idiot can overpay.  Again there was a reason the Dols moved-on from him and now he'll be making huge money.

• Like (+1) 1

So basically, we can't draft OL so trade away picks we might have used on OL for a mid-round LT who we'll have to pay a ton of money.  Sounds smart.  But again, not my team so not my concern, although giving the picks to the Dols sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

So basically, we can't draft OL so trade away picks we might have used on OL for a mid-round LT who we'll have to pay a ton of money.  Sounds smart.  But again, not my team so not my concern, although giving the picks to the Dols sucks.

I agree that what sucks is the Texicans helping the Dols our with their rebuild.  Miami’s FO should send BoB a nice fruit basket or something. 

• Like (+1) 1