Florio: Texans "New Look No GM" Grades an "F"

OldTimeAFLGuy

plenty of posts here about Clowney, Texans, Fins and Da Fuhrer O'Brien....Florio says "F".......welcome back Gaines from that joint.....

Texans “flatter” management structure falls flat on its face

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2019, 12:23 PM EDT

Saturday’s whirlwind of transactions provided the first real test for Houston’s new-look, no-G.M. front office. The grade for the “flatter” management structure: A big, fat F.

Through not just one but two disastrous trades, the Texans not only botched their divorce from Jadeveon Clowney but also authored a mini-Herschel Walker fiasco that mortgages the future and complicates the process of hiring any G.M. who has real options in 2020.

The blame lands nowhere but on the desk of Cal McNair, who is now running the franchise following the passing of team founder of his father, Bob McNair. Cal McNair signed off on that clumsy plan to fire G.M. Brian Gaine and lure Nick Caserio from the Patriots, as if taking from the Patriots an employee they are intent on keeping ever works. Along the way, the Texans frustrating the Fritz Pollard Alliance by interviewing a pair of minority G.M. candidates for the job (Martin Mayhew and Ray Farmer) before deciding not to hire anyone.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/01/texans-flatter-management-structure-falls-flat-on-its-face/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

They have a young franchise QB that’s very legit and not still proving himself.. trying to improve the team Oline and more weapons for him and just giving up draft picks is a huge win for me imo. 

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Right now it all looks really bad for Houston, but if by some miracle they wind up winning the SB within the next two years............

they will have the last laugh.

How? Like they aren’t looking for a QB at all for a very long time. Improving the that Oline for Watson is a massive win imo. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BananaSquad said:

They have a young franchise QB that’s very legit and not still proving himself.. trying to improve the team Oline and more weapons for him and just giving up draft picks is a huge win for me imo. 

How? Like they aren’t looking for a QB at all for a very long time. Improving the that Oline for Watson is a massive win imo. 

Let’s see how it plays out.

Articale is spot on.

Bob McNair was a weak owner, way too loyal to "nice huys" and coaches, kept David Carr waaayyy too long because he was a nice family man and devout Chritian, Carr was such a good family man he was usually one of the last in and first out the door everyday.

To make matters worse, the Texans select a project LT in rd #1 from Alabama State.  And THEN turn around 4 months later and mortgage their future for a medicore run om the mill NFL starting LT in Tunsil.  Beyond bizarre,

Cal McNair was very luck with one investment, Cogen, made a furtoune flipped it for too much money to greedy Enron.  As lucky as he was and rich , wasn't too smart.  Cal on the other hand has never accomplished much of anything without Daddy's help.

Going to be a very dysfunctional franchise.

Clowney trade was a disaster as they let an all pro at a premium position leave in his prime and getting very little in return for what they gave up (a 3rd round pick, a former 1st round bust, and a bubble LB/DE).  They should've made up their mind on Clowney long ago when there were more teams in the market as they continued to lose leverage.

The only way the Tunsil trade works out is if he develops into a consistent elite player for at least the length of his contract and they compete for the Super Bowl.  Sills contributing at the same time would make the deal look like a good one in hindsight (I doubt it though).  Giving up more for Tunsil than Mack is crazy to me and BOB only chance at his job is winning now.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm in the minority in thinking the Miami trade was a good trade for Houston.  They gave up Clowney for peanuts, however.

Houston will be picking in the mid 20s.  2 first for a 25 year old, top 10 tackle in the league?  Sign me up.  They were in desperate need of speed and also acquired Stills to help fill that role.  A great compliment to Hopkins.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

I'm in the minority in thinking the Miami trade was a good trade for Houston.  They gave up Clowney for peanuts, however.

Houston will be picking in the mid 20s.  2 first for a 25 year old, top 10 tackle in the league?  Sign me up.  They were in desperate need of speed and also acquired Stills to help fill that role.  A great compliment to Hopkins.

The vast minority.  The only other people who think it was a good trade work for the Texans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Let’s see how it plays out.

O'Brien's Belichick impression as combined GM and HC may not work out.  Still, with Luck gone, that division is wide-open and BOB probably figures he's got a window to go for the SB.  

It's a big gamble to deal first round picks, but given that Watson was hit as much as he was, QB protection was an impediment to the team moving beyond 9-7.  I also like that the team values WR and providing their young QB with more options in the passing game.  

There's more strategy behind these moves than what appears on the surface.  

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

The vast minority.  The only other people who think it was a good trade work for the Texans.

I'm waiting for someone to explain how the trade doesn't work for them?  They desperately needed o-line help, they got it.  Kenny Stills is arguably better than any WR we currently have on the roster.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/texans-offensive-line-shows-signs-of-struggle/ar-AAGnEac

Watson and DeAndre are the franchise.  It behooves the Texans to protect Watson(62 sacks last year).  Tunsil is one of the top LT in the business.  As the article link demonstrates, their projected starting LT gave up 2 sacks and some pressures.  

As I see it, Seattle went all in on D with Clowney, replacing Frank Clark.  And Houston went all in on offense.  The Texans used a 2019 1st on OT Tytus Howard and a 3rd OT Max Sharping.  Perhaps one can start RT, and the other can slide inside.  It allows much flexibility to try different combinations(like the Bills), and see what works. 

Sure they probably overpaid.  But sometimes just like you have to overpay for a QB, you have to overpay for a LT.  Protect Watson would be #1 priority if I were Texans GM

1 hour ago, BananaSquad said:

It's a massive error.  2 first round picks and a second for an LT (who will need to be resigned for far too much money) and a #2 WR (on a team loaded with receivers)??

The dumbest trade possible.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm waiting for someone to explain how the trade doesn't work for them?  They desperately needed o-line help, they got it.  Kenny Stills is arguably better than any WR we currently have on the roster.

They gave up way too much.  And they need more than just a LT, especially one who is rated around 11th or 12th best.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Pointless comparison.  

Houston has a load of guys who can catch the ball.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

They gave up way too much.  And they need more than just a LT, especially one who is rated around 11th or 12th best.

They gave up 2 picks in the 25-32 range and a late 2nd rounder for young developing left tackle who grades out better than Dion Dawkins and a speedy WR, that I would guess, they intend to use.

Houston is a Super Bowl contender.  They're trying to win now.  They don't have time to hang their hopes on draft picks that might pan out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

They gave up 2 picks in the 25-32 range and a late 2nd rounder for young developing left tackle who grades out better than Dion Dawkins and a speedy WR, that I would guess, they intend to use.

Houston is a Super Bowl contender.  They're trying to win now.  They don't have time to hang their hopes on draft picks that might pan out.

LOL why do you keep justifying this trade by comparing these traded players to Bills players?  It's bizarre.

Anyway, Tunsil gets them no closer to the SB.  They got panted by the COLTS in the WC last season.

Edited by Mr. WEO