Practice Squad Signings Thread

31 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think fans way over-estimate how many players are signed by other teams off waivers on the eave of the season. There was 36 total this year (and one poster said it was similar last year). They have just spent the last couple weeks working 20 hour days trying to figure out their own guys and roster and position groups, and they are just not likely to sign a WR they don't know a lot about right away and right before the season.

That was me Kelly.  I went back to Spotrac and did a count of claimed players the day after the cut (Sep 2) back in 2018.

It was 40 players signed off of waivers.

FTR the Bills claimed  CB Ryan Lewis and our current punter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner, I gotta say I love the idea of Williams and so I defend him every way I can.   I think what you've said makes a lot of sense - that the league just doesn't value his skills as much as it used to, in much the same way that the league doesn't value top-end running back skills as it used to.   I get that.

Because I want to believe in Williams, I have an alternative theory about why he's on the Bills' practice squad, and that is because he WANTS to be there.  

I think your desire to belief in him clouds the last point of your logic (quoted below). The rest I absolutely agree with.

51 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

7.  Now Williams has a choice.   (Well, maybe he doesn't have a choice.   Maybe NO team is willing to take a chance on him and add him to their 53.   If that's true, I'd suggest it's only partially about speed.   I think other teams can live with his speed limitations, but the lack of speed plus the lack of experience plus the ugliness in his past makes him too big a risk to take.)  But assuming he has a choice, I think Williams thinks this:   "It's my last chance.  I know now that McDermott is exactly the kind of coach and mentor I need in my life.   I know I was close to making it.   I know what it is that I have to learn and improve on to make the team, because they've been telling me all summer and helping me improve.   I believe I can do it and I believe these coaches want me to do it.   I don't know whether this other coach who is calling will be a mentor, will be willing to teach me the things I still need to learn, and since this time around is my last chance, I don't want to roll the dice on a new team and a new coach.   I need to continue the process that I began when I came to Buffalo.  If I can't make the NFL in this environment, I'm just not going to make the NFL."

Do I know any of this true?   Absolutely not.   But I think it is.  And I think we will see Williams on the field in a Bills uniform in 2019.    

If a team wanted him and they waiver claimed him he is theirs - but they have to put him on the 53. He doesn't get to say "no sorry, I'd rather go on the Bills practice squad". Think back to the running back / return guy that the Biulls waiver claimed from the Steelers 3 or 4 years ago. He didn't want to come here. But the Bills had claimed him. They owned his rights, he couldn't "choose" to go somewhere else. In the event he went on the non-football injury list and promptly retired.

Nobody claimed Williams. If teams felt what he had shown them was conducive to being a successful NFL receiver they would have made a claim. And he had a good pre-season. As someone who always started as more a sceptic on Williams than you I thought he showed us something. Not just the winning contested catches (which were it must be said mainly against 2nd string DBs) but the way he blocked in the run game he did something none of the other bottom end of the roster receivers did - he showed another string to his bow and he deserves credit. But despite that 31 other teams still let him go unclaimed. Ray-Ray McCloud who didn't show half as much as Duke was claimed. Now when they were passing on Duke on the waiver wire they were passing on the whole of Duke... so not just his lack of speed but the lack of experience that you mention too. But Ray-Ray McCloud's 5 receptions in 121 offensive snaps are hardly stellar experience either. He just has something that NFL teams are now looking for - speed. It's the modern NFL. Spread you out, find the defensive player who doesn't have the speed and agility to cover and throw to his guy.

I was impressed with Duke. I like him more now than I did at the start of camp. But to ever be a really major contributor in the NFL.... I still think it's a long road. Seeing some snaps somewhere this season when the injuries start to bite, either for the Bills or someone else? Yea I suspect he will.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think your desire to belief in him clouds the last point of your logic (quoted below). The rest I absolutely agree with.

If a team wanted him and they waiver claimed him he is theirs - but they have to put him on the 53. He doesn't get to say "no sorry, I'd rather go on the Bills practice squad". Think back to the running back / return guy that the Biulls waiver claimed from the Steelers 3 or 4 years ago. He didn't want to come here. But the Bills had claimed him. They owned his rights, he couldn't "choose" to go somewhere else. In the event he went on the non-football injury list and promptly retired.

Nobody claimed Williams. If teams felt what he had shown them was conducive to being a successful NFL receiver they would have made a claim. And he had a good pre-season. As someone who always started as more a sceptic on Williams than you I thought he showed us something. Not just the winning contested catches (which were it must be said mainly against 2nd string DBs) but the way he blocked in the run game he did something none of the other bottom end of the roster receivers did - he showed another string to his bow and he deserves credit. But despite that 31 other teams still let him go unclaimed. Ray-Ray McCloud who didn't show half as much as Duke was claimed. Now when they were passing on Duke on the waiver wire they were passing on the whole of Duke... so not just his lack of speed but the lack of experience that you mention too. But Ray-Ray McCloud's 5 receptions in 121 offensive snaps are hardly stellar experience either. He just has something that NFL teams are now looking for - speed. It's the modern NFL. Spread you out, find the defensive player who doesn't have the speed and agility to cover and throw to his guy.

I was impressed with Duke. I like him more now than I did at the start of camp. But to ever be a really major contributor in the NFL.... I still think it's a long road. Seeing some snaps somewhere this season when the injuries start to bite, either for the Bills or someone else? Yea I suspect he will.

Oh, you're absolutely right about the waiver claim.   No one else wanted him on their 53.   Someone else might have wanted him on their practice squad, but staying in Buffalo made sense for a lot of reasons. 

And your point about Ray Ray is a good one.  Obviously Ray Ray was claimed because his speed; otherwise, Duke was the more obvious choice.  

Thanks for responding.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, you're absolutely right about the waiver claim.   No one else wanted him on their 53.   Someone else might have wanted him on their practice squad, but staying in Buffalo made sense for a lot of reasons. 

And your point about Ray Ray is a good one.  Obviously Ray Ray was claimed because his speed; otherwise, Duke was the more obvious choice.  

Thanks for responding.  

And I think you are right that McDermott and Beane and their relationship with him probably factored heavily into him signing to the PS here rather than elsewhere. I am pleased he is on the PS he deserves it. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm telling you........in practice Ray Ray looked like he was the best player on the field.    I saw it myself.

I understand why people were giving him so much credit but I wasn't buying it until I saw what he did in a game.  

He is an exception to your belief that the preseason games aren't weighted heavily by the coaching staff............Ray Ray was just a different player when it started getting violent..........as we're McKenzie and Duke.......just that they were more comfortable that way.    I'm not saying Ray Ray is soft but the physicality diminished him greatly while it helped Duke and McKenzie show what they were lacking in the practice setting.

I predict Ray Ray will wear out his welcome with a big drop or 2 in a game and find his Way Way back to the Bills practice squad this season.  He's an awesome practice player.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe the RB was going for a strategic fumble...

fumble near the goalline so the other team gets it on their own 1 or 2. Go for the safety, then get the ball and score 8. 

Probably much better odds of getting a safety with the other team inside the 2 than recovering an onsides kick. 

If you're down 9-11  points late in a game the strategic fumble could be your only shot of coming back!

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm telling you........in practice Ray Ray looked like he was the best player on the field.    I saw it myself.

I understand why people were giving him so much credit but I wasn't buying it until I saw what he did in a game.  

He is an exception to your belief that the preseason games aren't weighted heavily by the coaching staff............Ray Ray was just a different player when it started getting violent..........as we're McKenzie and Duke.......just that they were more comfortable that way.    I'm not saying Ray Ray is soft but the physicality diminished him greatly while it helped Duke and McKenzie show what they were lacking in the practice setting.

I predict Ray Ray will wear out his welcome with a big drop or 2 in a game and find his Way Way back to the Bills practice squad this season.  He's an awesome practice player.:thumbsup:

Interesting. Cheers Badol. 

24 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Didn't read the entire thread. 

What four players that the Bills cut were picked up by other teams?

Ryan Lewis, CB - started a couple of games last year picked up by Indy. 

Deon Lacey, LB - depth and core STer picked up by Miami.

Ray-Ray McCloud, WR - backup slot signed by Carolina.

LeSean McCoy, RB - you know him. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:57 AM, bargepole said:

He would have earned 3 to 4 times that much if he'd stayed in Rugby. Even more if he had gone to the French Top 14 League, where they have no salary cap.

I'm surprised he agreed to sign as the 11th exempt player, meaning he gets no game time at all this season, but he's obviously made a career choice, and a big commitment to the Bills. Just hope it all pays off this time next year.

No commitment actually. He can leave when he wants if he wants to go back to playing rugby and he is not obligated to Bills next year.

Bills complete practice squad with RB Byron Marshall

From Chris Brown 

The Bills added their 11th and final member of their initial 2019 practice squad on Tuesday, signing free agent RB Byron Marshall.

Marshall, 25, was just released by the Washington Redskins on Sunday. He appeared in 10 games over the past two seasons for Washington logging 12 carries for 41 yards and 10 receptions for 66 yards.

Originally an undrafted rookie signing of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2016, Marshall (5-9, 215) was on the Eagles practice squad in 2016, but was elevated to the active roster and appeared in three games for Philadelphia that year.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

18 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

A little surprised Taylor was willing to go to practice squad.  Maybe there will be a move or two within a few weeks.

Bills have been sending subtle signals to Harry that perhaps his spot isn't as secure as a 3rd round pick should be.

Could be a sign that DLs from Stanford are a tad overrated ...

42 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

A little surprised Taylor was willing to go to practice squad.  Maybe there will be a move or two within a few weeks.

At this late in the game, being added to the roster is a tall order.  And might have been told he'd be elevated to the roster shortly.