Practice Squad Signings Thread

I'm OK with Davis Webb.  He's closer to being NFL ready than Tyree.  He's a good athlete, but is not a scrambler.  I think he needs work in the mental aspect of his game - making reads, manipulating DBs etc.  Has a good arm and physically, he's a big QB like Josh Alen.

29 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's never played in a regular season NFL game. 

Webb's college story is an interesting one.

He was a big-time recruit out of Texas (high school Class of 2013) and originally committed to Texas Tech's then head coach Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville left after the 2012 season and the Red Raiders hired Texas Tech alum and now Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kinsbury. Kingsbury was able to convince Webb to sign with Texas Tech.

That summer (2013), Webb lost the starting job battle to a freshman walk-on by the name of Baker Mayfield. When Mayfield went down with an injury, the true freshman Webb stepped in and did so well that he took the starting job from Mayfield. As a result, Mayfield decided to transfer to Oklahoma.  

Going into the 2014 season, the sophomore Webb was named to many preseason award watch-lists and was a dark horse Heisman candidate. More than halfway through the season, he broke his ankle and a true freshman by the name of Patrick Mahomes replaced him.

Mahomes would beat Webb for Texas Tech's starting QB job going into the 2015 season. Webb would serve as Mahomes' backup through that season and would earn his bachelor's degree from Texas Tech in just three years. As a result, he was able to transfer to Cal under coach Sonny Dykes as a grad transfer and be immediately eligible.

Webb had a very successful single season at Cal, being an All-American nominee and Davey O'Brien Award semifinalist. He won the Senior Bowl MVP and the Giants chose him in the third round. 

His NFL hasn't been nearly as interesting. It only took a year with the Giants for them to decide he wasn't good enough and release him.

Jets signed him to their practice squad in September of 2018. Spent the entire season with them, being called up to the active roster in November. He's never played a regular season NFL game.

Was expected to compete for the Jets' backup job but then Gase signed Trevor Siemian and Luke Falk.

I'm an ASU fan and he played on Texas Tech in a crappy Holiday Bowl game against the Sun Devils and he lit them up. I was thinking who the hell is this guy, but the plays he was making were legit. He had about 400 yards and 4 tDs or something. It's funny how even a serious fan can see one or two games from a player and think he is either totally sucks or he is awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I like the Davis Webb pickup.

He's probably as good an option for a disaster backup as you'll find at this point 

Other than being the disaster backup, I think of equal importance is having a competent qb to run the scout team. That allows Barkley to focus on that weeks game plan as the backup if needed. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jabu said:

Other than being the disaster backup, I think of equal importance is having a competent qb to run the scout team. That allows Barkley to focus on that weeks game plan as the backup if needed. 

Agreed but he's a perfect candidate for a PS spot.  He has real talent but has had no luck.  He needs reps and to learn, this is a spot for him to do that without getting thrown into a situation where he will be expected to play soon.  A 3rd round pick is expected to contribute pretty soon and that accelerates the timeline, a PS Qb isn't. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well Luke Falk for one

Falk I believe was signed by the Jets at the time I wrote my post.  Mike White showed up as prospect unknown on NFL.com.

Nanker, if I could make em bounce, I would.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yikes!   He threw four picks in the preseason.    Accuracy issues maybe...:bag:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/davis-webb-wasnt-the-only-jets-quarterback-cut/

Well, Buffalo did recently have a young QB prospect  (now with the Raiders) who tends to look brilliant in preseason, and throws picks when games count.  Maybe they think it can work the other way too.  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Cam Lewis makes me happy. I want to see more. Liked Pitts while here too

I don't believe that Pitts is eligible for PS anymore. He was here for two full seasons and dressed every game as a special teamer, but he wasn't a rookie when he came here. So I'm pretty confident he has too much accrued time to be eligible

9 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Jets signed him to their practice squad in September of 2018. Spent the entire season with them, being called up to the active roster in November. He's never played a regular season NFL game.

Rumour has it the Jests were enamoured with Webb until FO staff realized his name was ‘Webb’, not ‘Weeb’, as in St. Weeb Ewbank.  Three low level staffers were terminated over the error.  (I’m surprised Maccagnan is considered ‘low level’.  ?)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

9 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Were you a Sills V fan WVU?

Yeah, but I'm a realest.  Sills and Grier were products of the Air Raid offense which gave them inflated stats.  Sills can make big plays, but is not a polished route runner.  He needs to add more than big play ability to make a roster.  However, he's always been a guy that's beaten the odds and is able to achieve his goals.  I think he'll find his way onto an NFL roster by next season.

52 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I think Yarborough will be picked up by somebody, at some point, if not us.

i am not saying we should call him up.  That line was tough this training camp.  I just think he is reasonable quality that someone will recognize.

...he's on Bills PS, so somebody would have to poach him......