Run:pass ratio - what's best for Allen's development?

NickelCity

With our previous young quarterbacks, I saw the validity in a run heavy offense. It didnt always pan out (obviously), but i saw the logic in it.

With Allen, I feel like it's apparent that he's a rhythm passer. The third preseason game saw the return of the dreaded run run pass so that we could evaluate the run game, and we saw the offense stall. 

For the first time in awhile (probably due to Allen's natural passing ability), I'd like to see a pass heavy offense. I think such an approach will actually help Allen, contrary to the old school point of view that says let a young qb ride the run game. 

...I assume most of us want to see this...no?

Edited by NickelCity
More accurate title
  • Like (+1) 3

No, I really don't care. I just want to see execution. If we are running it well I want to see us pound it down their throats until they stop us. If we are passing it well and the defense can't seem to adjust, keep letting it fly.

I hope our offensive coordinator doesn't go into a game hoping for a certain ratio. We should be playing to our strengths and attacking the specific weaknesses of our defense.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, I really don't care. I just want to see execution. If we are running it well I want to see us pound it down their throats until they stop us. If we are passing it well and the defense can't seem to adjust, keep letting it fly.

I hope our offensive coordinator doesn't go into a game hoping for a certain ratio. We should be playing to our strengths and attacking the specific weaknesses of our defense.

That's fair. From my perspective, I think a pass heavy offense will benefit Allen's development  more than run heavy. And it's really all down to him so...

Granted if things aren't working in a game Daboll has to adapt.

A lot will depend on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposing defence.

On our side, with Shady gone, Devin unproven and Gore on his last legs I suspect we will be running the ball a lot less, at least in the first half of the season. 

Either way, it is all contingent on Josh's ability to increase his completion percentage.

• Like (+1) 1

Earlier this off season I was convinced we were going to pass a lot early in games to try and build healthy leads, then run it heavy in the second half to break the opposing defense's back. 

Made sense to me, and would also allow us to let the defense loose and be aggressive to pick up more turnovers and sacks when they can tee off against the pass. 

Now I'm a bit more convinced that they'll just do the usual run, run pass approach but hope they don't. 

Run vs Pass doesnʻt really matter to me ratio wise... we just canʻt be running on every single first down like we did in his last pre season game

We just need to eliminate predictability, because I think he is smart enough and talented enough to make the right read based on what the defense is giving him

• Like (+1) 1

Going back to 2013 the Bills have ranked higher than 29th in Pass Percentage once (2014), you have to go back to 2011 for them to be in the top 10 (7th) at 60%. I don't think the stat alone helps that much in determining team success, because it can be affected heavily by the need to throw or grinding out games you're running away with. Last year The Pats, Rams, Saints Bears, Texans, and Ravens were all in the bottom 3rd and  still made the playoffs and two of those teams were in the superbowl.

However, the bills being 29th or lower every year without that kind of success is more indicative of outmoded style in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

With our previous young quarterbacks, I saw the validity in a run heavy offense. It didnt always pan out (obviously), but i saw the logic in it.

With Allen, I feel like it's apparent that he's a rhythm passer. The third preseason game saw the return of the dreaded run run pass so that we could evaluate the run game, and we saw the offense stall. 

For the first time in awhile (probably due to Allen's natural passing ability), I'd like to see a pass heavy offense. I think such an approach will actually help Allen, contrary to the old school point of view that says let a young qb ride the run game. 

...I assume most of us want to see this...no?

I would pass on 60-65% of the plays,  only way he becomes a great QB is letting him throw the football.  I would like him to have at least 4-5 300 yard games this season for his confidence

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not as much the ratio as mixing up when things are called.  Throw the ball more on first down with play action, run on 3rd and 4 when the D isn’t expecting it.  Being unpredictable on calls will help him succeed.

....agree....not a fixed percentage but rather what Daboll dials up in game plan based on what he thinks the opposing defense will give him.......could be 60/40 or 40/60, underneath if D takes away long ball or long ball interspersed if they key on run game or short game.....Allen's adaptabilty and ability to respond is more key IMO.....

• Like (+1) 2

I get your point about the speed of Allen's development, but that won't be the reason or a factor in the Bills' run/pass ratio this season. I'm sure more passing will lead to faster development, but probably only to a small extent. 

If the Bills are passing more than around 60/40 on the year, it's probably because they were losing more games and needed to mount comebacks, and I'd prefer to see that as little as posssible this year, even if that means Allen develops slightly slower as a result. For a young QB, confidence is important. Some of that comes from being better at dissecting defenses and executing difficult plays, but some of that comes from simply winning ball games.