About half of Bills 53-man roster have two or fewer years of NFL experience

Logic

The tidbit below caught my eye in a Buffalobills.com "Five things we learned" article I just read. 

It seems to me that McDermott's plan since arriving in Buffalo has been to build a foundation and a culture with a higher number of older players who can set the tone and set a good example. In McDermott's first season, the Bills were one of the OLDEST teams in the NFL. Then, as the younger players progressed, more and more of the veterans would be phased out, until only a young team just coming into its prime remained.

Beane and McDermott seem to have stuck at least one tenured veteran in each position group, but those are about the only older guys on the team. The o-line has Morse, the RB room has Gore, the WR room has Roberts, the LB room has Lorenzo, the DB room has Micah Hyde, and so on. Someone to set the tone and lead their unit. Other than that, though? A whole lot of youth on this Bills roster. I don't think it's an accident, I think it was designed this way. Sean McDermott is a meticulous and incredibly well prepared guy, and I think this was his plan all along.

Buffalo’s roster is especially young this season. Just about half the roster is made up of players entering their third NFL season or less.

A total of 25 players have two or fewer years of NFL experience entering the 2019 campaign. Seven players on the roster are rookies. Ten players are entering their second season and eight more are entering their third season as a pro.   

Conversely, only four players on Buffalo’s roster are entering their 10th NFL year or more, Jerry Hughes (10), Stephen Hauschka (12), Lorenzo Alexander (13) and Frank Gore (15).

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It's build through the draft, fill holes in free agency.  And when you have young guys who can play, get rid of the old guys (McCoy).

Relentless and merciless competition.  

This plan works when your drafted players turn into blue chip superstars.  Hopefully, the bills will get NOT just good players from the last three draft, but they will go on to be super stars collectively

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Where does that article say the Bills have one of the youngest rosters overall?

You're right BADOL. Now that I re-read it, it doesn't say that. I'll change the thread title.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're right BADOL. Now that I re-read it, it doesn't say that. I'll change the thread title.

Yeah I see where the BB hype machine hooked you but after signing 18 veteran free agents I would doubt that they are now among the younger teams.

Only 4 players with 10+ years in the NFL sounds better than only 9 players over 30. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

After last year they played all the kids to see who could stick I expected the team to stay pretty young. It’s been mentioned in a lot of places beanes plan etc etc. last year was development and eating the cap, this year the team learns how to win games (we’ll be so angry when they can’t close some of these) but it’s a year for Allen to grow and gel with his new weapons and learn how to win close games and dominate in others. Let’s hope for a playoff run. Next season is when they can swing for homeruns in free agency or trades and chase the “superstar” players and if we’re lucky have a legit super bowl contender. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

The tidbit below caught my eye in a Buffalobills.com "Five things we learned" article I just read. 

It seems to me that McDermott's plan since arriving in Buffalo has been to build a foundation and a culture with a higher number of older players who can set the tone and set a good example. In McDermott's first season, the Bills were one of the OLDEST teams in the NFL. Then, as the younger players progressed, more and more of the veterans would be phased out, until only a young team just coming into its prime remained.

Beane and McDermott seem to have stuck at least one tenured veteran in each position group, but those are about the only older guys on the team. The o-line has Morse, the RB room has Gore, the WR room has Roberts, the LB room has Lorenzo, the DB room has Micah Hyde, and so on. Someone to set the tone and lead their unit. Other than that, though? A whole lot of youth on this Bills roster. I don't think it's an accident, I think it was designed this way. Sean McDermott is a meticulous and incredibly well prepared guy, and I think this was his plan all along.

Buffalo’s roster is especially young this season. Just about half the roster is made up of players entering their third NFL season or less.

A total of 25 players have two or fewer years of NFL experience entering the 2019 campaign. Seven players on the roster are rookies. Ten players are entering their second season and eight more are entering their third season as a pro.   

Conversely, only four players on Buffalo’s roster are entering their 10th NFL year or more, Jerry Hughes (10), Stephen Hauschka (12), Lorenzo Alexander (13) and Frank Gore (15).

#5 is a joke....this is really not all that unusual.

teams start with 7 draft picks..over 3 years that’s 21 young players. You trade players or acquire picks and young players you can get to 25

ive said this before...

thr make up ofa team

rookie, 1, 2, 3 of around 28  Add in 4th yr snd 5 th yr ftom 1sts and you have 30-32 players 

players with 4-6 yrs..say 3 each year = 9 players

players 7+ years = 10 players

50+ roster players

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I see where the BB hype machine hooked you but after signing 18 veteran free agents I would doubt that they are now among the younger teams.

Only 4 players with 10+ years in the NFL sounds better than only 9 players over 30. :lol:

...if (IF) memory serves me, we came off a year during Whaley's tenure faced with 23 UFA's, primarily due to litany of one year deals.....short term/stop gap thinking defeats any long term, continuity ideas.....

Expect the Bills to get very good the second half of the season. This works for the Bills too. The second half is much tougher than the first half. In fact the Bills should be 6-2 or 5-3 at the midway point.  The home games against the Ravens and Broncos will likely determine if the Bills make the playoffs.  Win those two home games and the Bills are playoff bound with a very dangerous defense and running game. Anything can happen at that point. 

7 hours ago, djp14150 said:

#5 is a joke....this is really not all that unusual.

teams start with 7 draft picks..over 3 years that’s 21 young players. You trade players or acquire picks and young players you can get to 25

ive said this before...

thr make up ofa team

rookie, 1, 2, 3 of around 28  Add in 4th yr snd 5 th yr ftom 1sts and you have 30-32 players 

players with 4-6 yrs..say 3 each year = 9 players

players 7+ years = 10 players

50+ roster players

Well those are certainly words. At least...some of them are.