4 Buffalo Bills on initial 53-man roster at risk of being replaced by Week 1

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Making an initial 53-man roster is exciting, but unfortunately it is not permanent for every player. (...Croom to IR, resign Coleman discussed.)

What other players are at risk of being replaced before Week 1? Here are four candidates.

S DEAN MARLOWE

..... one safety is likely to go after Kurt Coleman is re-signed to the roster. .... it will come down to Marlowe and Jaquan Johnson. Johnson, a sixth round pick of the Bills in 2019 NFL Draft, was one of Pro Football Focus’ highest-graded rookies this preseason..... Marlowe will likely be the odd man out.

G IKE BOETTGER

Ike Boettger seems like an ideal candidate for the Bills’ practice squad. The Bills probably realized that Boettger would get claimed elsewhere if he was waived on Saturday. Teams are desperate for offensive line talent and Boettger has shown some talent in his young career.

OT CONOR MCDERMOTT

The Bills thought that they upgraded at swing tackle significantly this offseason when they signed La’Adrian Waddle. A quad injury, unfortunately, ended Waddle’s season before it began. (....) the Bills will probably look very closely at the waiver wire to see if there are any upgrades available.

more

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/08/4-buffalo-bills-on-initial-53-man-roster-at-risk-of-being-replaced-by-week-1.html

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Excessive quoting for Fair use copyright
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Funny, author shows Bojorques picture but doesn't list him as at risk of being replaced.

I woulda thought he was a prime candidate.

A picture is worth 1000 words … just sayin

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Funny, author shows Bojorques picture but doesn't list him as at risk of being replaced.

He is in the article, at the end. The OP couldn't post the entire article here due to the TOS. I was confused too at first, when I read there were four players in the title, but I only saw three in the posting.

Edited by from_dunkirk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bojo should be gone. Apparently we will have to draft one next year.

37 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Trust me Bojo the clown will be upgraded very soon.....

I hope so but by who?

28 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

So 2 OL are at risk in a OL deprived league and they could be upgraded by other teams cast-offs...

This kind of stuff is getting old...

Starter quality offensive linemen are in short supply because of the kinds of offenses run in college.  There are prospects available.  On this particular list, the author contends that Boettger may have been kept because the Bills think they have a better chance of sneaking him on to their practice squad by waiting until after other teams have mostly assembled their practice squads from the talent pool just created by cutdown day.  If McDermott can be upgraded, the Bills will.  If not, Meh, they can keep McDermott.  He's at least serviceable in a pinch.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Starter quality offensive linemen are in short supply because of the kinds of offenses run in college.  There are prospects available.  On this particular list, the author contends that Boettger may have been kept because the Bills think they have a better chance of sneaking him on to their practice squad by waiting until after other teams have mostly assembled their practice squads from the talent pool just created by cutdown day.  If McDermott can be upgraded, the Bills will.  If not, Meh, they can keep McDermott.  He's at least serviceable in a pinch.

So the author thinks teams are lazy and stop looking to upgrade after the set their initial roster?   Maybe the author should be writing lifestyle articles and not sports.

10 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

So the author thinks teams are lazy and stop looking to upgrade after the set their initial roster?   Maybe the author should be writing lifestyle articles and not sports.

We're talking 1,000 prospects suddenly flooding the talent pool.  Teams will have already filled out their practice squad and if they have already signed offensive linemen they may be content with the guy(s) they have rather than going out and signing a guy who might not be obviously better.  It is advantageous for Buffalo to keep the guy because of his familiarity with the Bills' offense, but he does not offer that advantage to other teams.  I can see where the author has a valid point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, artmalibu said:

So 2 OL are at risk in a OL deprived league and they could be upgraded by other teams cast-offs...

This kind of stuff is getting old...

There is is a difference in a prospect who might be really good in 2021– not now. Vs someone who is a vet who could play 1-2 yrs.  the cut of this player had more to do with his contract and capt than his skill.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well the article says "4" and lists 3 more below his pic. I think this is a good list. I'd add Croom too. We have 5 TE's and 9 OL. Obviously we aren't keeping all of them.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Britton Collquitt

Brock Miller

Ryan Allen

Bryan Anger

.....anyone of these 4 would be 10x better than Bojo....

Bojo is just plain awful. They've GOT to be able to find a better punter. I just can't believe it hasn't already happened. We have the worst punter in the NFL.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

We're talking 1,000 prospects suddenly flooding the talent pool.  Teams will have already filled out their practice squad and if they have already signed offensive linemen they may be content with the guy(s) they have rather than going out and signing a guy who might not be obviously better.  It is advantageous for Buffalo to keep the guy because of his familiarity with the Bills' offense, but he does not offer that advantage to other teams.  I can see where the author has a valid point.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

There is is a difference in a prospect who might be really good in 2021– not now. Vs someone who is a vet who could play 1-2 yrs.  the cut of this player had more to do with his contract and capt than his skill.

So, cut a guy that should be on the 53 so you can keep another guy and  "sneak" him on to the practice squad.  If another team is eying a player he becomes more derisible after being selected for the initial 53.   

The bills kept 1 more OL than last year.  And for a couple possible reasons;

Serviceable  OL are in short supply so having an extra is a good thing.  OL is one of the toughest positions to call a guy in on short notice that can contribute.  Is Spain still hurt?

Or, they feel they can trade a guy for players/picks at a later date.  

I understand the the argument. But take a guy like Coleman.  The Bills could be betting that no one will sign him, and he will be an option lo resign once everything shakes out. Whereas they figure Boettger or McDermott will be claimed by another team.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Britton Collquitt

Brock Miller

Ryan Allen

Bryan Anger

.....anyone of these 4 would be 10x better than Bojo....

Especially Anger, that's a millionx better... I feel like Colquitt is related to the other Colquitt punter that was great for years, probably second best option followed by Allen.

I don't buy it with Marlowe. If they were going to cut him they'd have cut him and kept Kurt Coleman. The fact that they didn't tells me they didn't want to expose him to waivers. 

So Croom is IR'd and Coleman comes back;

Bojo is cut and replaced by a punter who can, you know, punt;

After that I think McDermott is the next most at risk and I suspect a corner would be the player incoming.