Who do you want on the Practice Squad?

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t know the numbers but it seems it could be difficult to find 32 who have practice squad availability. I’m sure there is 32 but I would guess most of us never heard a lot of them 

Here is a list of QBs just cut.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/quarterback/

3 minutes ago, yall said:

I was hoping that kid from St. Francis was going to be available for us, but I see Cincy opted to put him on their 53. 

Yeah Jake Dolegala.   Another huge, big armed QB and he looked a lot better than Tyree Jackson in preseason.     

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Here is a list of QBs just cut.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/quarterback/

Anyone else note that there's a large number of QB with familiar last names?  Testaverde....Rypien....Anderson....Shurmur (yep, Pat's kid)

Maybe Kyle Lauletta from the Giants?  Between the incumbent vet and the hot rookie hand, not a lot of room at backup there.

But on the other hand, they kept Alex Tanney over him.  But on the gripping hand, if the Giants are, say, entertaining GMs who might "pony up" for Eli....then they would want to keep the older, more experienced Tanney for a vet presence

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

I thought Kyle Sloter looked good the other night against the Bills and he was cut today, he'd be one possiblity

I remember commenting "their 3rd string QB is better than ours", so maybe so

I do not understand why everyone is against Tyree- find out if he can get better with good coaching. The other 3rd stringers have less physical talent- we might be able to coach him up to be a good backup. In practice squad guys I prefer talent to decision making.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not understand why everyone is against Tyree- find out if he can get better with good coaching. The other 3rd stringers have less physical talent- we might be able to coach him up to be a good backup. In practice squad guys I prefer talent to decision making.

It's one of those opinion things there's no arguing with.  Tyree's physical talent is undeniable, but I simply don't think his football abilities as a QB are far enough along for him to be worth a slot, even on the PS.  If they want him to run the scout team and give the D different looks, he has to be versatile enough - I don't think he's versatile enough to play football tailored to his style, let alone anyone else's. 

Then too, let's say Allen is injured and next game Barkley goes out - it's happened - you really want a guy who could "hold down the fort" for a game if you're keeping him on the roster.  Maybe with a limited, tailored game plan, but hold down the fort.  I don't see Tyree as able to do that at the NFL level.

You may disagree, that's fine.  There's also the point that during the season, coaches going to be all about the starter and the backup.  It's not going to be all about coaching up the 3rd string guy.  He'll learn plays, and defensive reads, and film skills in the QB room, but basic technique improvement, there really isn't time for that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anyone else note that there's a large number of QB with familiar last names?  Testaverde....Rypien....Anderson....Shurmur (yep, Pat's kid)

When I read that, I thought they had cut Vinny Testaverde, Sr., until I read your post. That website didn't say it was Vinny Testaverde, Jr., and frankly, I didn't realize there was one, lol. I thought he had come back to back up again to his old team or something, similar to Matt Bryant with Atlanta.

Edited by from_dunkirk
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Bills will absolutely have a QB on their PS.  I would not rule out Tyree, but there are some other intriguing guys too.  Luis Perez was a QB in that AAF league that folded, and did pretty well.  Falk is a little like Barkley.  Not a great arm, but he throws a catchable ball, and makes a lot of timing throws.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

There's a reason he was never under center during the preseason.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Got to get a QB, I'm good with Tyree, but if there are better options, go for it.

I think Tyree gets to the PS with his play in the 4th quarter of the 4th pre-season game

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's one of those opinion things there's no arguing with.  Tyree's physical talent is undeniable, but I simply don't think his football abilities as a QB are far enough along for him to be worth a slot, even on the PS.  If they want him to run the scout team and give the D different looks, he has to be versatile enough - I don't think he's versatile enough to play football tailored to his style, let alone anyone else's. 

Then too, let's say Allen is injured and next game Barkley goes out - it's happened - you really want a guy who could "hold down the fort" for a game if you're keeping him on the roster.  Maybe with a limited, tailored game plan, but hold down the fort.  I don't see Tyree as able to do that at the NFL level.

You may disagree, that's fine.  There's also the point that during the season, coaches going to be all about the starter and the backup.  It's not going to be all about coaching up the 3rd string guy.  He'll learn plays, and defensive reads, and film skills in the QB room, but basic technique improvement, there really isn't time for that.

I believe if Allen and Barkley are injured, the Bills will be looking at veteran's who are sitting at home. They are not going to put the game in the hands of Tyree Jackson

Wade and Williams (if we can). I think Williams has played himself onto someone's 53 man roster, but he'll have to learn a new playbook, so he won't be on the field for a while. Those are the 2 obvious misses on the 53 man roster. I don't know why they kept so many OL and TE's other than trade bait, but what can they possibly expect from guys like Boettger and McDermott? I could see someone giving up a 7th round pick for Croom, though. Other than Wade and Williams, I don't really care. I doubt it will make much difference anyways.

31 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

There's a reason he was never under center during the preseason.

Indeed. Because I don't think he was ever under center during college. Then again, it might be a bit tougher to take a snap from center when you are that tall. Just sayin. And how often did this year's #1 draft pick take a snap under center. And yes, I understand they operate from two different offenses. But again, just sayin.

And while still obviously still very raw, I thought he should progress in every game. The 4th Q finish in PS game 4 was fairly impressive. But that wasn't all. He demonstrated a seriously quick release, which some QBs NEVER learn to do

With that said, if there were a more "versatile" QB (as Hapless puts it) for practice purposes AND has good ability and upside to be an NFL QB, then I'd say "sign that guy". But until they sign that guy, Ty is fine for the Bills PS, I think.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is the deal with being reasonable? you make solid points and I simply say give him a year to improve since we saw what usually exists in third string world last year. If he sucks cut him next year but unless he is stupid give him a year to have good coaching.