LA Chargers give Gordon permission to seek trade, want a 1st & 5th

Reed83HOF

Pure power move from the GM - "You think you're worth so much... go find me a team that thinks you're value is as high as you do."  When Gordon's agent can't produce a team willing to give up a 1st and he's burning paychecks, he'll see the light and come play this year and walk in the off season.

29 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Pure power move from the GM - "You think you're worth so much... go find me a team that thinks you're value is as high as you do."  When Gordon's agent can't produce a team willing to give up a 1st and he's burning paychecks, he'll see the light and come play this year and walk in the off season.

The worst thing that could happen to Gordon is the Chargers look fine without him and ekeler/Jackson show little drop off from him. He should get out there imo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The worst thing that could happen to Gordon is the Chargers look fine without him and ekeler/Jackson show little drop off from him. He should get out there imo.

Exactly. Like ppl said, he has zero leverage. They were 4-0 last year without him as well.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Philly's offer. You guys basically take a mediocre back from us and eat Gordon's salary, and I guess we'll take him on.  No one thinks he is that good. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion, but I don't see that in McBeane's wheel house.........

Opinions are like ear holes, everyone has one, or was it something else?

So let me get this strait, the Chargers don’t want to pay Gordon because they think he isn’t a top tier RB but they want to be compensated in a trade as if he is one. 

The Chargers FO is a bag of cats.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eanyills said:

It’s Gordon’s only play to hold out. If he wouldn’t sign and play for 12, he’s not going to show up for half that. We’ll see him week 10.

Meanwhile he loses $330,000 per game (including the preseason games) as well as other fines.

Must have an idiot for an agent.

14 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If your going to waste a 2nd on a RB might as well use it to draft your own and not pay him a disgusting salary. 

You're gambling your pick when you do that. True, it's a lot cheaper, but you aren't getting a guy without flaws in the second round, and he might not even be starter material. When you trade a  pick for vet, you know exactly what you're getting, for better or worse.

9 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s worked for other players,. Gordon just isn’t that good. 

Did it work for L. Bell? Idk. And Bell is a better back, with most yards from scrimmage in first 5 years than any player in history.

As for how good he is, how much worse is he than D. Johnson who is often injured and is making 13 per. And he's certainly better than D. Freeman whose somewhere between 7-8. And if he's no good why would the Chargers have offered him around 10x what they are paying both his alleged fantastic backups together? 

As others have said, 10-11 is probably the right number for him. Only thing he gains by holding out is I guess resting his legs before hitting free agency next year. Oh yeah, and maybe screwing his former team. The front end of their schedule is against good run Ds. We'll see how they make out. 

To me he would be much better off suiting up, having a good year and cashing in 2020.

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Did it work for L. Bell? Idk. And Bell is a better back, with most yards from scrimmage in first 5 years than any player in history.

As for how good he is, how much worse is he than D. Johnson who is often injured and is making 13 per. And he's certainly better than D. Freeman whose somewhere between 7-8. And if he's no good why would the Chargers have offered him around 10x what they are paying both his alleged fantastic backups together? 

As others have said, 10-11 is probably the right number for him. Only thing he gains by holding out is I guess resting his legs before hitting free agency next year. Oh yeah, and maybe screwing his former team. The front end of their schedule is against good run Ds. We'll see how they make out. 

To me he would be much better off suiting up, having a good year and cashing in 2020.

Also a different situation, as Bell was not under contract. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Also a different situation, as Bell was not under contract. 

Like Bell, wouldn't Gordon also be a FA after sitting out a year? Bell didn't get paid, neither would Gordon if he sat out. From the players perspective aren't they pretty much in the same situation?

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I love Philly's offer. You guys basically take a mediocre back from us and eat Gordon's salary, and I guess we'll take him on.  No one thinks he is that good. 

I don't think it's that nobody thinks he's that good. He could likely get the type of deal he wants if he was a FA, but nobody is going to part with a 1st and 5th AND pay him top dollar. The Chargers know this which is why they told him to find a partner, they know he can't, not for what they're asking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

There is absolutely no reason to trade picks, and then give him a crap ton of money. Collectively this running back group will out preform Gordon. Draft another back next year between rounds 2-4, release Gore. 

I'm with you, but keep Gore.  That dude does not age! 

are we sure the Chargers want a 1st and 5th.  I mean a 3rd okay, perhaps a 2nd, but a 1st.  LOL.  

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Like Bell, wouldn't Gordon also be a FA after sitting out a year? Bell didn't get paid, neither would Gordon if he sat out. From the players perspective aren't they pretty much in the same situation?

No, if Gordon sits out past week 10 his contract will toll, and he will lose a year of accrued service toward FA. He would be on the 5th year option again in 2020.

bell wasn’t on the 5th year option. He was tagged, and didn’t sign it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This would make sense if Philly took Gordon's salary, but wow, making LA keep it.  You have to know that won't work.  

4 hours ago, Beane/Allen said:

Rumor has it Beane wants Gordon bad. 

Is he being swayed by the local media (Mike Schopp) which seems to put little emphasis on the running back position? 

Personally, I feel a big play on Gordon would show lack of confidence in who is under center. 

Where the heck are you seeing that?

And there is 0 chance our Front office gets swayed by local media 

Gordon =0% chance of coming to buffalo