LA Chargers give Gordon permission to seek trade, want a 1st & 5th

Reed83HOF

On 8/31/2019 at 4:44 PM, LabattBlue said:

The Chargers are either playing hardball with Gordon, or his agent is asking for the world....it's probably the latter.  I guess he didn't see how well it worked out for Bell last season, where he lost a years salary that he will never recoup.

When you’re a multi millionaire and set for life, a years salary isn’t such a big thing, that’s the difference between working stiffs and rich people.

I sure wish I could blow off a years salary and not care, oh well, at least I have no debt, I got that going for me... chinch bugs...

11 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Agreed. Gordon doesn't deserve Zeke money (and neither does Zeke for that matter) but he's worth a lot more than the 5 bucks the Chargers would be paying him this year. He can pretty much do it all, runs well inside and out and is a receiving threat out of the backfield. I think he has the same yards from scrimmage as Zeke beginning 2015. Depending on the balance of terms I might have thought 10 per to be a very reasonable number. Hope he gets moved quickly. Best for all concerned.

...pretty fair and accurate assessment...thanks bud...:thumbsup:...BTW, Zeke money is crazy but that is the "new norm"...........

Not sure what team is thirsty for a RB and willing to pay both a premium contract wise and at least fork over a 3rdround pick (given that you have to match a compensatory pick level of draft compensation?) The Texans acquired Hyde and Duke Johnson so take their desperate asses out of the equation. I don’t see why the Bills would trade for him given the fact that they released Shady because they like what they have on their roster. 

Tampa Bay might have the need but they are very cap strapped and might not want to trade an asset and an extension for a RB when they don’t know if they are in it long term with Winston. The Niners could be in play but they just paid Tevin Coleman, not sure if they think Gordon could be their last piece to help Jimmy G. I think Gordon’s best bet is going to be to hope a win now team like Atlanta has an injury at RB and gets desperate to pick up the slack at the position. But that’s a lot of if’s and’s and maybe’s. 

So overall I think that they can seek a trade but there simply might not be a partner out there. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We cut Shady because of his salary in a basically part time role.....because Singletary has really impressed.

Now we would pay Gordon that contract and have Singletary basically sit?

You're on these boards a lot OP....you should know this.

.....salary was $6 mil....I think (?) cap hit cut was $2.9 mil.....have to disagree the $3.1 mil was the driving force behind the decision.....Gordon is a non-issue, supposedlty turning down $10 mil avg/yr from SD and now with Zeke resetting the crazy bar as his negotiating point IMO.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty fair and accurate assessment...thanks bud...:thumbsup:...BTW, Zeke money is crazy but that is the "new norm"...........

I think RB’s are reestablishing their value to a modern NFL offense given how backs are now positioning themselves to be a bigger part of the passing game. Even though Zeke isn’t an elite pass catcher he is solid in that department, he has good breakaway speed, is a good blocker, and is a complete beast in between and outside the tackles. He isn’t weak in any single aspect of the game (at worst you can say he is OK at something.) 

I think given the weapon a RB can be in the traditional running game and catching passes along with pass protection you don’t have to justify a 15-17 million dollar a year contract for an elite player that can do it all. Now granted those backs are few and far between but a top RB’s salary isn’t crazy to me. Gordon on the other hand isn’t in the same range as Zeke, Gurley, Barkley, and Bell. He is a notch below, a really good high end back but not an elite player. He should be in the 10-11.5 million range. Certainly brings a lot to an offense but isn’t as dynamic as those elite backs.

I think the age of RB’s being replaceable cogs is gone at least for the upper upper end of the market. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think RB’s are reestablishing their value to a modern NFL offense given how backs are now positioning themselves to be a bigger part of the passing game. Even though Zeke isn’t an elite pass catcher he is solid in that department, he has good breakaway speed, is a good blocker, and is a complete beast in between and outside the tackles. He isn’t weak in any single aspect of the game (at worst you can say he is OK at something.) 

I think given the weapon a RB can be in the traditional running game and catching passes along with pass protection you don’t have to justify a 15-17 million dollar a year contract for an elite player that can do it all. Now granted those backs are few and far between but a top RB’s salary isn’t crazy to me. Gordon on the other hand isn’t in the same range as Zeke, Gurley, Barkley, and Bell. He is a notch below, a really good high end back but not an elite player. He should be in the 10-11.5 million range. Certainly brings a lot to an offense but isn’t as dynamic as those elite backs.

I think the age of RB’s being replaceable cogs is gone at least for the upper upper end of the market. 

...nicely done.....think the "dime a dozen"  phrase to identify RB's is a bit worn out.....it all depends on their individual skill set and how you plan to use them....maybe not straight ground and pound but versatile guys like Thurmal, Faulk, or today's Kamara, Sproules,etc have a definite place......hoping that the Singeltary lad is in that mix.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....salary was $6 mil....I think (?) cap hit cut was $2.9 mil.....have to disagree the $3.1 mil was the driving force behind the decision.....Gordon is a non-issue, supposedlty turning down $10 mil avg/yr from SD and now with Zeke resetting the crazy bar as his negotiating point IMO.........

I agree it wasn't about the money. By all accounts Devin is further along than they thought he might be at this point. I think Beane & McDermott didn't want a sticky situation part way through the year when Devin started taking more and more carries from Shady. Right here, right now, Shady is the better option at RB, I don't see how many could deny that,  but McBeane clearly thought that was going to change in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If we trade a 1st for a RB and pay him top 3 money I will be pissed. If it's for a 2nd and a 6th then I could deal with it. I could live with a 4 year 48mil deal with 30 guaranteed. 

If your going to waste a 2nd on a RB might as well use it to draft your own and not pay him a disgusting salary. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

Then they will probably have to cave and pay him. Interesting dynamic. I always thought out of him and Zeke that Gordon had the better chance of missing games. 

They actually don’t need to cave at all. He has no leverage. He’s under contract. They offered him a long term deal already and he turned it down. They are now done negotiating with him until after the season. If he sits out too long, his contract will toll to next year. That means he loses a year accrued toward FA and will be under the 5th year option, again, in 2020.

Edited by YoloinOhio