Do the Bills have any National Star Power or Big Names left?

BigDingus

Remembering happier times when the Bills were a national brand:

"Here it is in a nutshell: we’re a national brand now with Rex,” Whaley said to Don Banks of Sports Illustrated. "What I tell people is, during the combine, when Bill Belichick was walking with Rex Ryan that day? The story wasn’t about Bill Belichick, and this was right after the Patriots won the Super Bowl. The story was about Rex Ryan wearing Thurman Thomas’ jersey. When would you ever have thought that? That’s all you’ve got to say. "Before, it was, ‘Oh, it’s just Buffalo,’ and all about how we settled for someone in our head coaching hiring," Whaley continued. "We didn’t settle this time. We got what we were looking for. And I know this much, I truly believe there is a Rex Effect."

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-head-coach-national-brand-081815

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Even though Shady looked to be past his prime, he was still a household name known around the country.

With him being released, who is their a player left who's name, jersey, personality, etc. brings attention to the team by themselves alone?

When McBeane took over, we had Sammy Watkins, LeSean McCoy, Marcell Dareus, and arguably Kyle Williams. We got rid of Watkins prior to the regular season starting, eventually picked up Kelvin Benjamin (who wasn't a "star" but was at least well known), then proceeded to trade or cut them, with Williams eventually retiring. Yes, I know we all know Jerry Hughes, he's great, but most people don't know a thing about him (not like he brings a lot of attention to himself either, which I'm fine with). 

Most NFL fans tend to at least know the starting QB for each team, so Allen may be at least generally known, but aside from him we really don't have any recognition anymore. At this point, I think the 1 year rental RB in Frank Gore is our biggest "star." Ed Oliver could be the bigger name, but I'm not so sure many people associate him with the Bills or even remember he's a part of this team. Every time I discuss the Bills with my NFL friends, they seem to have already forgotten all about him.

Hell, I still hear far more about Nathan Peterman when discussing the Bills than anyone else by a LONG shot.

With that being said, who's most likely to jump to that status & become the name people will bring up most often in relation to the Bills? If they had to name a handful of players, who would be those names?

I'd say Devin Singletary, Ed Oliver (if he isn't already), Tremaine Edmunds and obvious Josh Allen if he can even just manage a solid year overall. Outside of that, we're pretty low on personality & national recognition, which I'm not saying is a "bad" thing, it just is what it is. The only bad thing is whether we're considered a desirable team for viewership potential. The lack of nationally televised games, or even games outside of the 1:00/12:00 CST time slot is heavily influenced by not only prior record, but by star power.

Market matters, but if a team has a lot of personality & intrigue surrounding its players, it becomes a hot candidate for prime time games.

TL;DR - Do we have any real "stars" left? Who do you think potential future stars could be? Do those of you who live outside of Buffalo know people or have friends who don't follow the team but are aware of big name players? 

Personally, I'd rather have a bunch of faceless nobodies who play all 4 quarters like the 2nd and 3rd stringers did in the last few minutes of Thursday night's game than a few "household names" who ultimately think they're bigger than the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

TL;DR - Do we have any real "stars" left? Who do you think potential future stars could be? Do those of you who live outside of Buffalo know people or have friends who don't follow the team but are aware of big name players? 

Allen and Beasley are probably the Bills most well known players.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Even though Shady looked to be past his prime, he was still a household name known around the country.

With him being released, who is their a player left who's name, jersey, personality, etc. brings attention to the team by themselves alone?

Well, we have You! What more could we possibly want??

2 hours ago, Revealingstorm said:

Who on defense? I would argue the Bills have no stars at the moment. If Josh can ball out this season then he'll become one.

Based on Embedded, the defensive coaches keep telling Poyer he’s a star.  Unfortunately, playing in Buffalo, he’d have to lead the NFL in interceptions to get noticed.

No offense, but I just skimmed that. (Honestly, no offense meant!) I don’t give a hoot about big names. I like the idea of up and comers who will be the NEXT big names. What a great way to build as team!