Other Team Cuts You Want

RyanC883

So how exactly does the whole waiver thing work?  If I remember correctly, vets with more than is it 3  years in the league who are cut today are immediate free agents, less than 3 years you go through waivers.

Does it also mean the 2nd a team makes a waiver claim, they need to release someone to stay at 53?  So say the Giants who are above the Bills in the waiver order can't claim a punter who was released, try him out, then decide to cut their present one or release the one they just claimed?  They'd likely as soon as they make the claim, release their current punter or someone else on the roster?

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Brown has shown potential in the past.

Sounds like a "process" guy as well...

https://sports.yahoo.com/seattle-seahawks-wr-jaron-brown-165651138.html

"To run a route, to block, we put him in protection roles, not a lot of guys do that. So selfless, so all about the team, great teammate, really good player that we expect big things from this year."

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So how exactly does the whole waiver thing work?  If I remember correctly, vets with more than is it 3  years in the league who are cut today are immediate free agents, less than 3 years you go through waivers.

Does it also mean the 2nd a team makes a waiver claim, they need to release someone to stay at 53?  So say the Giants who are above the Bills in the waiver order can't claim a punter who was released, try him out, then decide to cut their present one or release the one they just claimed?  They'd likely as soon as they make the claim, release their current punter or someone else on the roster?

Any player with at least four years of service that is released is not subject to the waiver process. They immediately become free agents and can sign with any team.

In terms of acquisition a waived player a team has to have an open roster spot to put in a claim as I understand it.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/31/20842020/how-it-works-nfl-waiver-wire-rules-redskins

1 minute ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Shoot, offer Cleveland one of our three 6's to secure Colquitt if he hasn't officially been cut yet 

We might not want his contract. Yet I'd definitely have his agent on speed dial.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Sounds like a "process" guy as well...

https://sports.yahoo.com/seattle-seahawks-wr-jaron-brown-165651138.html

"To run a route, to block, we put him in protection roles, not a lot of guys do that. So selfless, so all about the team, great teammate, really good player that we expect big things from this year."

Much like beane praising duke as not many guys he’d rather have on a jump ball, I’d take with a grain of salt “does everything, great guy, player and expect big things” a few weeks before cutting him with a grain