Cap room being used to stash practice squad players?

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There might be if teams don't have the cap space to sign a guy to their active roster.

Haven't seen it done before (where a guy gets over-paid to be on the PS), but there's a first time for everything...

The hawks gave their 3rd qb his normal league minimum salary last year for the squad. Paying extra isn’t the issue. Paying him 2m was the silly part. Swap it to 400k and it’s a fine thread I guess

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is, actually.  Once a player clears waivers and is signed to the practice squad, he is not obligated to sign to another team's 53-man roster, and some don't.

It happened to the Bills a while back, a couple times, that they tried to sign a player off another teams practice squad  and he said "Nah, I'm Good" and stayed there.

Offering the PS player more $$ can legit be part of that.

That's a bad practice. Unused cap space rolls over into the next year. If a player isn't good enough to make your 53, why would you sacrifice future cap space for that player?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's completely legit to offer PS players more $$ as an inducement to stay with us, but they still do have to clear waivers first.

...interesting...so the 8 grand/wk PS salary is a minimum? and a team can sweeten the pot leaving the player with the decision to decide if he gets poached and signed to an active 53 for rook minimum of $495,000 versus a higher PS salary?....did not know this.....:thumbsup:.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just a thought... As a way to make use of current cap space could Beane stash Duke and a couple other guys by paying them $2 million to join our practice squad? 

That would keep other teams away from a cheap poach and we've got the cash and cap room.

They have to go through waivers,first,so the money wont help Bills stash players 

Edited by Georgie

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We need all the cap room possible so we can extend our 2021 first rounder in 5 years. 

You forgot about Harrison Phillips and Zay Jones. They’re gonna take up a big chunk and it’s coming faster than you think. Let’s not go crazy signing pro bowlers with these extensions looming. 

25 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting...so the 8 grand/wk PS salary is a minimum? and a team can sweeten the pot leaving the player with the decision to decide if he gets poached and signed to an active 53 for rook minimum of $495,000 versus a higher PS salary?....did not know this.....:thumbsup:.....

Correct, it is a minimum.  "There is no cap on the amount a practice squad player can receive"

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-practice-squad-salaries-minimum-salary-rules-2019/s1etl9lhnidk1ttazzs8tsrzx

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

That's probably more than a couple people that beat them out. If they're worth 2 million a year, they should be on the roster.

I dunno about $2M/yr (you're probably right about that) but it's reported that the NE Patriots have the highest-paid practice squad in the league, and are at times paying more than active vet minimum to some players.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You forgot about Harrison Phillips and Zay Jones. They’re gonna take up a big chunk and it’s coming faster than you think. Let’s not go crazy signing pro bowlers with these extensions looming. 

Phillips is in his 2nd year, I would think he would need to show a lot more than he has to even think about any type of extension. He's got 3 years left on his deal and hasn't really done much yet.

Just now, klos63 said:

Phillips is in his 2nd year, I would think he would need to show a lot more than he has to even think about any type of extension. He's got 3 years left on his deal and hasn't really done much yet.

Oh sorry I was being sarcastic, but some ppl on here were saying that exact thing in the Clowney trade rumors thread as a reason not to trade for him.