Cap room being used to stash practice squad players?

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just a thought... As a way to make use of current cap space could Beane stash Duke and a couple other guys by paying them $2 million to join our practice squad? 

That would keep other teams away from a cheap poach and we've got the cash and cap room.

PS players get a couple grand a week. you don't pay them $2M....they are also not under contract

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just a thought... As a way to make use of current cap space could Beane stash Duke and a couple other guys by paying them $2 million to join our practice squad? 

That would keep other teams away from a cheap poach and we've got the cash and cap room.

That's probably more than a couple people that beat them out. If they're worth 2 million a year, they should be on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How much do NFL practice squad players make?

Practice squad players in 2019 can earn a minimum of $8,000 per week during the regular season and postseason, per the current CBA, but there is no cap on the amount practice squad players can receive.

The minimum salary for NFL practice squad players has increased and will continue to increase annually for the duration of the current CBA

I get that if they are worth decent $ they should be on the 53...

But there are all kinds of wonky contract issues on every team... If Singletary is amazing he might be making less than the special teams RB 

Didn't Denver do something like pay one if our cut RBs 800k to be on their practice squad?

I think you can pay as much as you want to guys on the PS as long as it's above the minimum

If you're in good salary cap shape you could Essentially have a 56 or 57 man roster by doing this

Edited by TheFunPolice

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I get that if they are worth decent $ they should be on the 53...

But there are all kinds of wonky contract issues on every team... If Singletary is amazing he might be making less than the special teams RB 

Didn't Denver do something like pay one if our cut RBs 800k to be on their practice squad?

I think you can pay as much as you want to guys on the PS as long as it's above the minimum

If you're in good salary cap shape you could Essentially have a 56 or 57 man roster by doing this

Jonathan Williams

Practice Squad Salary

Practice squad players earn paychecks on a weekly basis. They’re not getting the far bigger paychecks players on the 53-man roster receive. For the 2018 season, practice squad players can make no less than $7,600 per week, which equates to $129,200 for the season.

To protect players from leaving for other teams, or because they really like the potential of a given player, some teams pay their practice squad players more than the minimum. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad and practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

23 minutes ago, nucci said:

PS players get a couple grand a week. you don't pay them $2M....they are also not under contract

How much do practice squad players make?

In 2019, players who land on a practice squad will make a minimum of $8,000 per week during the regular season and playoffs. It may not be the multi-million contracts that some players hope to one day receive, but it is nothing to scoff at. While $8,000 is the minimum price players can earn per week there is no cap on the amount of money a practice squad player can receive from a team.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

How much do practice squad players make?

In 2019, players who land on a practice squad will make a minimum of $8,000 per week during the regular season and playoffs. It may not be the multi-million contracts that some players hope to one day receive, but it is nothing to scoff at. While $8,000 is the minimum price players can earn per week there is no cap on the amount of money a practice squad player can receive from a team.

Thanks...just looked it up

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Other teams can sign away guys from your practice squad, so I don't see the point. There's no such thing as stashing on the practice squad.

There might be if teams don't have the cap space to sign a guy to their active roster.

Haven't seen it done before (where a guy gets over-paid to be on the PS), but there's a first time for everything...

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's completely legit to offer PS players more $$ as an inducement to stay with us, but they still do have to clear waivers first.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Other teams can sign away guys from your practice squad, so I don't see the point. There's no such thing as stashing on the practice squad.

The point would be that they would need to pay a higher salary, thus making it tougher to do

I'm sure if my plan worked someone would have done it by now

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

If you pay a guy $2 million to be on your practice squad, I doubt he leaves for another team unless they are willing to beat that. 

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

There is, actually.  Once a player clears waivers and is signed to the practice squad, he is not obligated to sign to another team's 53-man roster, and some don't.

It happened to the Bills a while back, a couple times, that they tried to sign a player off another teams practice squad  and he said "Nah, I'm Good" and stayed there.

Offering the PS player more $$ can legit be part of that.