Devin Singletary, welcome to RB1 of the Buffalo Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...obviously....I'm talking about offensive versatility that he brings to the table for Allen's arsenal......Daboll seems to be the ideal OC to maximize his talents......Frank IS "The Tank", Yeldon has hands, and Singeltary can keep DC's guessing IMO.......

He wasnt used in the passing game in college. Based on preseason play it looks as though he may be able to contribute to some extent now and that's definitely a positive. Based on what little I've seen of his college tape (highlight reel stuff) I don't know what he's like in pass pro. I'm not sure either that I see much versatility based on scheme for that matter given the type of back he seems to be. Of course I'll be happy if you are right. Unlike some I don't put too much emphasis on his college stats or highlight reel clips. Again I'm going on virtually zero sample size but I have some doubts about the quality of competition he faced and I think he may have benefitted from relatively good blocking at that level - he was the cornerstone of his college offence and it seems to have been built around him. I would not count on seeing as much flash from him at this level of play. Based on his being pretty much an unknown quantity (at least to me) I'm a little concerned about the Bills running game. I think McCoy could still play and while there may have been reasons to cut bait I feel that our run game may have lost big play capability and therefore is simpler to defence. I think that actually limits Allen's options and puts more pressure on him (and Daboll). Gore is great but the days when he could carry an offence are long gone. As you point out Yeldon is a pass catcher. So a tremendous amount of responsibility falls on the rook's shoulders. If the run game underperforms this offence may well be in trouble IMO. The Bills brass has given him a huge vote of confidence. We'll see how it turns out and in the meantime hope for the best. After all, wasn't Kareem Hunt drafted in the 3rd round too.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

What do you think the Bills saw in him?

Excellence against poor competition? Can't help but see some similarities between this pick and the Zay pick. Let's just hope that proves to be an awful comparison.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Can he pass block?

Looked fine to me in this department.

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Idk if he gets 20 traditional runs.  However, I expect Singletary to get 20 or so touches a game.  Yeldon and Gore are perfect compliments to him.  Gadget plays, screens, traditional runs, I think he will be used all over the formation.  Think about the situation.  Buffalo traded up for him.  Drafted him early in round 3.  Singletary is primed to have a huge part if the offense.

I’d say at most about 20. 

I dont think they try to have him over 300 on the season 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

I was waiting for somebody else to say it but I was wondering about this.... I’m not so sure the rookie is “the guy” right out of the gates like everyone seems to assume. 

I didnt see it either. I dont see rb1 yet. I wasnt impressed and they didnt play against nfl game plans yet... What was Jeremy Whites preseason pledge again

On 9/1/2019 at 3:36 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I will say, I hated the idea of drafting a rb that high. If DS becomes a quality starting rb, I was wrong.  Still think hey could have gotten something for McCoy or traded him earlier when he had higher value, 

The third round isn’t high.

Kareem Hunt and Kamara were both drafted in the third.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I will say, I hated the idea of drafting a rb that high. If DS becomes a quality starting rb, I was wrong.  Still think hey could have gotten something for McCoy or traded him earlier when he had higher value, 

I am wondering if someone was will to toss us a late round pick but they wanted to do right by shady

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am wondering if someone was will to toss us a late round pick but they wanted to do right by shady

I was wondering the same thing. It would go against the ‘team first’ mentality, but I could see them wanting to let Shady choose his spot versus trading him potentially to a place he didn’t want to be. 

On 8/31/2019 at 11:11 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

I was waiting for somebody else to say it but I was wondering about this.... I’m not so sure the rookie is “the guy” right out of the gates like everyone seems to assume. 

Same. My concern with Singletary isn't his size but his lack of explosiveness. It's nice that the players and coaches rave about him but I go by what I see. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still a detractor. I was out of town for the Shady cut... silly IMO.

I don't see the feet and speed needed for Singletary to a #1 back, and he doesn't have the size to make up for it.

I hope I am wrong TBD. The only thing gained by cutting Shady is about 6 million in cap space this year and one roster spot.

If Buffalo was against the cap, I get it. If Buffalo drafted Jacobs or Montgomery I get it.

I hope I'm wrong, and Devin Singletary makes me eat my words, but I've been a big fan of the RB position for 30 years, and I don't think DS has it.

I do hope Shady goes to the Chargers. I think that would be an ideal fit. Give Phillips a vet RB, replace some of Gordon's play.

Until then I trust the process, but I am disgruntled.

12 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't see the feet and speed needed for Singletary to a #1 back, and he doesn't have the size to make up for it.

I hope I am wrong TBD. The only thing gained by cutting Shady is about 6 million in cap space this year and one roster spot.

If Buffalo was against the cap, I get it. If Buffalo drafted Jacobs or Montgomery I get it.

I hope I'm wrong, and Devin Singletary makes me eat my words, but I've been a big fan of the RB position for 30 years, and I don't think DS has it.

I do hope Shady goes to the Chargers. I think that would be an ideal fit. Give Phillips a vet RB, replace some of Gordon's play.

Shady already signed with KC.

6 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Shady already signed with KC.

I've got a lot of catching up to do, traveling all weekend...

It makes a lot of sense, reunites with Andy, joins a legit top 5 team to win the Super Bowl, is a proven guy in an unproven but talented backfield.

It looks like the Chargers did reach out: from NFL.com

"McCoy added that he chose reuniting with Reid over moving to Los Angeles and joining the Chargers, who are currently without holdout Melvin Gordon.

"This is probably my best fit. ... L.A. is far, I've got a seven-year-old son. He wouldn't like that very much. Also, the taxes," McCoy, ever the businessman, noted."

Who can blame Shady for avoiding California? He gets to escape NY and CA, good for him. He'll see more of what he earns in Missouri.

And KC gets to cut themselves loose of the sticky Kareem Hunt situation and fill in with Shady at no cost. Good for them.

Win, Win, Win for everyone but Buffalo.

Edited by RocCityRoller

44 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Devin has excellent feet....he will never have the top end speed that Shady has (had....if you ask me he is llosing a step there) but he does get to top end speee in an instant.....

We really need to remind ourselves that we had what Shady is...not was...and there comes a time when you have to cut bate with thee guys before they start losing a step.

You ask me...you robably get more out of Gore in this veteran capacity then Shady becaus Gore knows what he is at this point....you wont see juke moves out of Frank Gore....he is a one cut plow runner.....Shady still does this jitterbug through the line thing....we saw him not be able to get to the corner in pre season games....we saw him cut back and get chased down by defenders

Singetary.....he does that jump cut move with the best of them....he is elusive...he pass protects....and now we know he can catch.   He is also much younger and on a rookie controlled 3rd round pick contract.

I love Shady and I wish him luck when he is not playing us....but he just signed for 3 million a year (and he gets some money from us still I think) and he was making NINE MILLION which is ridiculous for a running back of his age.   We did him a solid but cutting him instead of getting a 7th rounder or whatever and trading him so he could go where he wants.  We parted ways with mutual respect.   We are fine.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:52 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Just wanted to point out that any unused cap space can be rolled over til next year, so even if we don’t use it this year we can use it next