Lesean McCoy cut!

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

That, if true, is concerning.  Sixteen games against full grown men is not something Singletary has ever attempted.  The release doesn't make sense to me, but things move forward. 

Wish him well. Hope history proves Beane made the correct decision. 

He will probably still get less touches in 16 games than he had in a college season. He was their entire offense, the guy defenses game planned to stop on FAU.  Bills will utilize gore and Yeldon a lot. But I think he gets the most (rushing + Receiving) of the 3. 

But again what many are missing is that if McCoy wasn’t going to the “the guy” it made no sense to keep him from either side. He’s not a “backup” type. From the contract, to his approach. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And no offense (pun intended) but there has been little evidence that Beane & Co. understands how to evaluate talent on offense. 

Agreed that McBeane have really made some questionable personnel and on-field decisions these first 2 seasons and now into the third off-season on offense.  

1. WR Management: Trading Watkins and letting Woods go in UFA and still, 2 years later, have not found replacements outside of perhaps John Brown   

2. Trading a 3 and 7 for Benjamin

3. Starting Peterman at LAC, seeing him toss 5 INTs and having to put TT back in for the second half

4. Expecting Peterman to be the starter for 2018 - he was benched after 1 ineffective start leading to Allen needing to play before he was ready

5. Not acquiring a veteran backup QB for weeks after Peterman was benched

6. The approach to the OL and bargain bin signings/late picks there in 2017-18: Bodine, Ducasse, Newhouse, and Teller.  This after Wood retired.

7.  Entering 2017 and 18 with big receivers who couldn't separate, then turning around and finally embracing the speed trend for smaller WR's by the time 2018 was almost over. 

8.  Other 2017-18 offense UFA's not mentioned: Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley, AJ McCarron, and Tolbert.  This, and spending more on the defense at the expense of the offense.  

9.  Cody Ford: they moved up in the 2nd to take him as an OT and already has been kicked inside.  May do well, but the value in taking a RG at 38 is not good.  

10. Signing Mitch Morse to the largest UFA contract for a C who had a fairly sizable concussion history.  Big gamble that he'll remain healthy for the duration of the contract.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He will probably still get less touches in 16 games than he had in a college season. He was their entire offense, the guy defenses game planned to stop on FAU.  Bills will utilize gore and Yeldon a lot. But I think he gets the most (rushing + Receiving) of the 3. 

But again what many are missing is that if McCoy wasn’t going to the “the guy” it made no sense to keep him from either side. He’s not a “backup” type. From the contract, to his approach. 

Less touches, more touches doesn't mean much to me. What is important is how he is able to hold up against NFL defenses.  

Contract doesn't matter. It isn't our money and the team has plenty of room, that doesn't enter the equation.  Personality? Maybe. It's tough going from undisputed #1 to sharing the load and perhaps he shared his dislike of such an outcome privately at OBD.  

My confidence in the front office is as hight as it's ever been!  I'm happy they made this move.  I've been calling for his release for a while, had many arguments on here about McCoy's value.  Shocking that he has none ?.  It was stunning how many members of this board thought he had any, and a low pick was possible in return.  This is a move a smart FO executes.  They'll push his cap savings into 20 and use it to re-up young guys that deserve an extension off rookie deals.  I don't understand the fascination on here of a guy that had one really good season as a Bill?  

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Going in, Gore had to know that there was a possibility that Shady would be cut or traded. I'm sure he's bummed, but not to the point of asking for a release or retiring.

Gore needs 522 yards to pass Barry Sanders, and become the third all-time rushing leader in the NFL. With McCoy's release, his chances of achieving that goal just improved. He can't not be thinking of that.

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Go back and watch that third preseason game as that third game is usually the precursor for the season. The Bills came out running and continued to run it with the starters out there. In my view this is what the team wants to do is run first to take all the load off the QB.

Now, what if the Bills can't run so well with the current players? Despite having a much improved offensive line. All of a sudden that run the ball game plan goes out the window and all the pressure to make plays is on the QB ...AGAIN!  Bills fans on the board like Bado, GunnerBill have been saying watch out this season as it won't be that good as a lot of fans think. I was in the boat thinking a 10-6 or better. Now I'm thinking it might be difficult for an 8-8 season

I'm not part of the pollyanna crowd that FULLY believes this team is destined for greatness. I think we have an 8-8 roster and Allen could swing that a couple games in either direction. But Shady is not a particularly useful player anymore. 2 plus game a season difference maker? No chance my friend. If the Bills struggle this season, it will have VERY little to do with Lesean McCoy. If the run game is creating holes and they can't find a back to simply plow ahead and take 4-5-6 yards, they've got some serious issues with player evaluation. It's really not that difficult to find these guys.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I understand the decision, but honestly, on passing plays last season (and in this preseason), McCoy emphatically showed that he had NOT lost a step. I will say it again: a lot of people really don’t understand how epically terrible the Bills run blocking was last season. Worst in team history, in my opinion. 

I'm not going to say you are wrong...because I am nothing but a casual observe and I certainly can be wrong, but my feeling now is that I DO think he has lost a step.

To the naked eye, it is really hard to tell. With his running style, he always looks like he is moving incredibly fast/quick.  But, when a back with McCoy's style does lose that half-step/full step...it may not be apparent to the naked eye in terms of what we see in his body movement. Where it WILL be apparent is on the field.  That 1/10 of a second slower cut or burst foward may be the difference between his slipping a tackle 2 years ago and going for a 7 yard gain...vs now that tackle he used to slip being something that trips him up for a 2 yard gain instead.   I am seeing more of the '2 yard gains' instead of the '7 yard gains'. 

Plus, he is a year older....into his 30's.  In RB  years (especially for a style of RB like him), well, hes not going to be quicker/better this year than he was 2 years ago (his last good/great year)

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

That, if true, is concerning.  Sixteen games against full grown men is not something Singletary has ever attempted.  The release doesn't make sense to me, but things move forward. 

Wish him well. Hope history proves Beane made the correct decision. 

I think history has proven rookie RBs do just fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My issue is that no one was going to scoop up Croom. He's expendable to everyone but Pegs daughter. We don't need 5 TE. Why not hold on to Shady and take calls for him. KC probably would have given us at least a 4th or 5th. We got a 5th for Teller. Fact is, Shady had some trade value and he's still getting up to 4m. That extra 2m isn't killing the cap. There's was no reason to let him go for nothing, when we got value from other guys we would have cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

My issue is that no one was going to scoop up Croom. He's expendable to everyone but Pegs daughter. We don't need 5 TE. Why not hold on to Shady and take calls for him. KC probably would have given us at least a 4th or 5th. We got a 5th for Teller. Fact is, Shady had some trade value and he's still getting up to 4m. That extra 2m isn't killing the cap. There's was no reason to let him go for nothing, when we got value from other guys we would have cut. 

Do you not think we were dialing everyone we could this week?

Just now, NoSaint said:

Do you not think we were dialing everyone we could this week?

Sure, but after week one or when someone's RB went down, the value would be there. What value does Croom have?  KC was fast to pull the trigger on Shady. I'm sure we could have got something. And if we didn't who will contribute more to the team this year, Croom or Shady. Croom got smoked by two rooks and one is a 7th rd pick.  He's 5th on a depth chart when we only need 4.

6 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Supposedly there were multiple teams that tried to trade for Shady.. Hard to believe unless the trade was player for player since I don't see Beane forfeiting a draft pick just to let Shady chose his team.

5 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Supposedly there were multiple teams that tried to trade for Shady.. Hard to believe unless the trade was player for player since I don't see Beane forfeiting a draft pick just to let Shady chose his team.

Where did you hear this?

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Where did you hear this?

LeSean McCoy addressed trade rumors specifically, saying if they were true he would already be gone.

“Two teams were trying to get me so if I was gone, they would’ve gotten something for me,” he said without naming names. “It’s common sense.”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/8/7/20757915/buffalo-bills-running-back-lesean-mccoy-refutes-trade-rumors-and-demotion

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

Sure, but after week one or when someone's RB went down, the value would be there. What value does Croom have?  KC was fast to pull the trigger on Shady. I'm sure we could have got something. And if we didn't who will contribute more to the team this year, Croom or Shady. Croom got smoked by two rooks and one is a 7th rd pick.  He's 5th on a depth chart when we only need 4.

Houston’s running back just went down and they re paying people in Monopoly money. SD doesn’t have their back and were also interested but not trading.

that it was quick doesn’t mean anyone was giving value. 

Weve likely been trying to pull to pull the trigger for a month