Lesean McCoy cut!

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

I hope I’m wrong but I have this feeling that in the next few days, after the cut of McCoy sinks in, Gore may decide to retire or ask for his release.

He and McCoy are friends and offseason workout partners. Gore signed with the Bills to play with McCoy.

Man that would blow!

1 hour ago, KayAdams said:

Shady is only 1500-2000 career rushing yards away from solidifying his case for the Hall. He'll get all his needed yards, TD, and reception numbers with Andy Reid in KC. His first 10 years in the league have been better than Frank Gore's. I am going on record as hating this roster decision with all of my heart. Beane and McDermott may have severely underestimated McCoy's decline (mostly the OL's fault last season) and severely overestimated Singletary's abilities (4.66 40-yd dash speed for a scatback role?!).

Maybe he really does something great in the next year or so.

Right now, can you write the history of the game in this era without him? Absolutely. Same is also true of Frank Gore.

2 hours ago, ColeB said:

I hope I’m wrong but I have this feeling that in the next few days, after the cut of McCoy sinks in, Gore may decide to retire or ask for his release.

He and McCoy are friends and offseason workout partners. Gore signed with the Bills to play with McCoy.

I hope you're wrong too. lol.

Gore is a future hall of Famer, and I'm not going to pretend I know what he will do, but I doubt he does anything that crazy...would go against his character and attitude toward the game.

No doubt Shady helped convinced him to come here.  But this team and GM has a vision that helped too.  

Beane is a genius at gm speak.  He doesn't make last minute decisions, this has been a strong possibility since last year

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So cutting a 30 year old RB who has CLEARLY lost a step causes you to not have hope?

Sad.

I understand the decision, but honestly, on passing plays last season (and in this preseason), McCoy emphatically showed that he had NOT lost a step. I will say it again: a lot of people really don’t understand how epically terrible the Bills run blocking was last season. Worst in team history, in my opinion. 

I get wanting to keep the offense on schedule, and wanting to give Singletary playing time to develop him, and how having to cater to Shady’s ego and all-or-nothing running style would get in the way of those aims.

The roll-forward will help with next year’s anticipated free agency spending bonanza.

I also think that (allegedly) paying someone to break into his ex’s house might have been the last off-field straw for OBD, and they might finally feel like they’ve got a culture established where they don’t need to accommodate a “star” player of declining talent.

But boy, they’d better be right with their assessments of Shady’s decline and Singletary’s talent.  There have been too many instances over the years of the Bills surprisingly jettisoning players on the eve of the season only to have it quickly explode in their faces.  Ralph Wilson LOVED himself a late August salary dump when the season tickets had already been locked in.  And no offense (pun intended) but there has been little evidence that Beane & Co. understands how to evaluate talent on offense.  They are really moving their chips into the middle with this move: if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl led by a QB the Bills effectively traded to them, and a running back the Bills effectively gifted them, and a wide receiver the Bills didn’t feel like paying, and the Bills don’t win a bunch more games themselves this year... look out.

All of that said, McCoy looked slower to me in his few preseason appearances.  He may well be shot.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So cutting a 30 year old RB who has CLEARLY lost a step causes you to not have hope?

Sad.

Singletary was a very elusive RB with "rare" ability to make others miss at Florida Atlantic... Yet he clocked 4.66 at the combine.  I can tell you right now that McCoy is faster and from what I saw and more elusive this preseason. I didn't see that McCoy has CLEARLY lost anything. 

Hey man, I'm really hoping that the Bills made the right decision on this but i just don't see it. Brian Daboll has yet to field a better than 20th ranked offense in his four stints as an NFL OC. 

I don't think the Chiefs see it either as they gave him a 4 mill contract with 3 mill guaranteed, which I highly doubt they do if they think he has lost a step! the Chargers made the same offer and Shady went with Andy Reid whom he played for at Philly. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But boy, they’d better be right with their assessments of Shady’s decline and Singletary’s talent.  There have been too many instances over the years of the Bills surprisingly jettisoning players on the eve of the season only to have it quickly explode in their faces.  Ralph Wilson LOVED himself a late August salary dump when the season tickets had already been locked in.  And no offense (pun intended) but there has been little evidence that Beane & Co. understands how to evaluate talent on offense.  They are really moving their chips into the middle with this move: if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl led by a QB the Bills effectively traded to them, and a running back the Bills effectively gifted them, and a wide receiver the Bills didn’t feel like paying, and the Bills don’t win a bunch more games themselves this year... look out.

Look at the RB's the Bills have moved on from ...Antowain Smith went from Buffalo to NE where he won a SB. Marshawn Lynch went from Buffalo to Seattle where he won a SB. 

McGahee went on to Baltimore and Denver and to the playoffs with both teams.

Like I said, I really, really hope this works out...or McD/Beane might be looking at a new offensive coaching staff next year. Maybe even a new HC. I like McD, but man, Peterman and now this.

• Like (+1) 1

I liked mccoy as a Bill and wish him success in K.C.I thought it was time last season to move on from him.I think he would be best used by someone like Andy Reid on screens and open spaces...I also think the Bills are in very capable hands with Devon,Frank,and T.J at runningback...GO BILLS!!!

6 hours ago, ColeB said:

Going in, Gore had to know that there was a possibility that Shady would be cut or traded. I'm sure he's bummed, but not to the point of asking for a release or retiring.

43 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Look at the RB's the Bills have moved on from ...Antowain Smith went from Buffalo to NE where he won a SB. Marshawn Lynch went from Buffalo to Seattle where he won a SB. 

McGahee went on to Baltimore and Denver and to the playoffs with both teams.

Like I said, I really, really hope this works out...or McD/Beane might be looking at a new offensive coaching staff next year. Maybe even a new HC. I like McD, but man, Peterman and now this.

If it works out it will be because if Singletary, not anything McCoy does or the Chiefs do. Singletary is the reason that he was released. They want to give him the bulk of the touches. They would be relegating McCoy to backup status, and didn’t think that would sit well with him at this point. They chose to move on to avoid any negativity around Singletary. McCoy still thinks he is a star. He might do really well in the chiefs offense (I hope he does as I have him on my fantasy team). But it’s somewhat irrelevant unless Singletary performs poorly. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Might already be a year late, joe. 

It was definitely a year late.

Had Lynn been retained as HC his last couple years would probably have been a lot better(whether Lynn/Whaley took Mahomes or Watson or not) but that Roman system was an extraordinary rush offense.............on an average team McCoy is only going to give you average production or less and at just 190# that isn't very impactful.

It will be interesting to see what McCoy can do against 4 man front 7's this year:lol:.........I hope he can hang around a couple more seasons and solidify his stats to sure HOF level but I somehow think he's still going to have problems staying healthy and honestly running against undersized LB's every play isn't as big of an advantage for him as it is for a bigger RB.     The influx of undersized,  speedy LB's really hurt Shady's game significantly in 2014-2015.    

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If it works out it will be because if Singletary, not anything McCoy does or the Chiefs do. Singletary is the reason that he was released. They want to give him the bulk of the touches. They would be relegating McCoy to backup status, and didn’t think that would sit well with him at this point. They chose to move on to avoid any negativity around Singletary. McCoy still thinks he is a star. He might do really well in the chiefs offense (I hope he does as I have him on my fantasy team). But it’s somewhat irrelevant unless Singletary performs poorly. 

That, if true, is concerning.  Sixteen games against full grown men is not something Singletary has ever attempted.  The release doesn't make sense to me, but things move forward. 

Wish him well. Hope history proves Beane made the correct decision. 

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I understand the decision, but honestly, on passing plays last season (and in this preseason), McCoy emphatically showed that he had NOT lost a step. I will say it again: a lot of people really don’t understand how epically terrible the Bills run blocking was last season. Worst in team history, in my opinion. 

Thurman Thomas had his moments where he looked like the Thurman of old in his last 5 years in Buffalo too.

The bulk of the time he wasn't though.

Same with McCoy.