Lesean McCoy cut!

Was hoping it wouldn't happen, but it was clear someone needed to go. May as well be the expensive guy on the last year of his contract.

Sadly, this means on a national stage Beane & McDermott have officially finished gutting the last of our star power.

Better hope Josh Allen really takes that next step.

Edited by BigDingus

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Kinda sucks.

I really liked the way he bought into Buffalo.

I wonder how he's going to react publicly.

Shady was one of my favs.  But I’ve learned not to get emotionally attached to players.

We are actually doing him a favor.  He gets to choose his team and his PT would have been reduced this year with us.

45 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I've been saying since last year's trade deadline that it was a mistake not to send Shady back to Philly when they had a real need for him.  

If Beane was holding out for more than he was offered, the gamble failed, as we aren't getting anything for Shady now.

You win some you lose some. Shady still wasn't fetching a top pick last year given his hefty contract so his value to us was greater on our roster - in theory of course.

In Buffalo, we love our running backs.  It’s a tradition more or less unrivaled in the NFL.  LeSean McCoy was the latest of the great, and I will miss him.

We say it all the time, but I truly mean it today:  Shady, I wish you nothing but the best, in football and in life.   I wish you another 5,000 yards, dozens more highlight-reel runs, a championship.   You deserve it all.

We know you didn’t want to leave Philadelphia and if you had to go, Buffalo certainly wasn’t the place you would have chosen.   But we loved you from the beginning, and soon you loved us back.  We loved your talent, to be sure, but we also loved your heart, your willingness to get up and get going no matter how many times the hole didn’t open. 

In a way, your departure isn’t a surprise.  Sean McDermott says everyone has to compete for his job, and there are no exceptions.   It was interesting when the Bills brought in Frank Gore and then drafted Singletary and acquired Yeldon, but, we thought, that was for the locker room leadership and for the future.  You were still the man.  But McDermott is true to his word, always, and in the end, you weren’t part of what he thinks is the best plan moving forward.

We will remember you always, along with Cookie and OJ and Joe and Thurman and Fred, for being one of those special guys who carried the ball and often the team.  Good luck to you always.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Except for the first game at the Jets last year, I felt like the offense moved more fluidly, maybe not by much, when Shady didn't play. More 2nd and 7 and 3rd and short situations. Less 2nd and 12 and 3rd and longs. This move was right in front of our faces. I don't think we wanted to see it though. Fans are much more loyal and coaches obv. Good move for the franchise. Good luck Shady. Hope he lands somewhere where he can have a LaDanian type impact somewhere.

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Belichick's philosophy has always seemed to be that it's better to move a player one year too early rather than one year to late.  An argument can be made that this was already one year too late.

The first time I heard that was from Marv Levy.  I believe a couple things factored in here.  One, not sure OBD thought they would be able to get Singletary in draft.  Secondly, Daboll's O demands that RBs catch ball and pass block so Gore, Singletary and Yeldon all showed they can do that very well.

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

The first time I heard that was from Marv Levy.  I believe a couple things factored in here.  One, not sure OBD thought they would be able to get Singletary in draft.  Secondly, Daboll's O demands that RBs catch ball and pass block so Gore, Singletary and Yeldon all showed they can do that very well.

BB definitely commented on the issue of Singletary quickly grasping pass protection concepts in his little PC today.

Singletary has impressed and is on a very steep learning curve; he has looked really good really quickly and I think the organization felt he could replace McCoy, so they did the move.

• Like (+1) 1

This wasn’t about the contract at all. I don’t think Shady fit what the Bills were looking for at RB. They want a guy that will hit the hole, McCoy likes to dance and read and ends up with too many negative plays. Sure he can hit the big play but stalled drives and starting second and 12 isn’t great.

i also think they didn’t want to insult him with a trade to a ***** team, now he’s free to go where he wants. 

best of luck to him, he was one of my favorites.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Yav said:

This wasn’t about the contract at all. I don’t think Shady fit what the Bills were looking for at RB. They want a guy that will hit the hole, McCoy likes to dance and read and ends up with too many negative plays. Sure he can hit the big play but stalled drives and starting second and 12 isn’t great.

i also think they didn’t want to insult him with a trade to a ***** team, now he’s free to go where he wants. 

best of luck to him, he was one of my favorites.

That's a complete fiction propagated by fans, but with no basis in reality.

BB mentioned clearly that they shopped Shady around but found no trade partners.

What funny is Some McCoy fans want to try and tell me McCoy hasn’t hit the wall and isn’t done. And to justify that they want to bet me $500 dollars that McCoy will get 400 yards this year. 

So I guess that is their mark of NOT falling off the Cliff. 25 yards per game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In Buffalo, we love our running backs.  It’s a tradition more or less unrivaled in the NFL.  LeSean McCoy was the latest of the great, and I will miss him.

We say it all the time, but I truly mean it today:  Shady, I wish you nothing but the best, in football and in life.   I wish you another 5,000 yards, dozens more highlight-reel runs, a championship.   You deserve it all.

We know you didn’t want to leave Philadelphia and if you had to go, Buffalo certainly wasn’t the place you would have chosen.   But we loved you from the beginning, and soon you loved us back.  We loved your talent, to be sure, but we also loved your heart, your willingness to get up and get going no matter how many times the hole didn’t open. 

In a way, your departure isn’t a surprise.  Sean McDermott says everyone has to compete for his job, and there are no exceptions.   It was interesting when the Bills brought in Frank Gore and then drafted Singletary and acquired Yeldon, but, we thought, that was for the locker room leadership and for the future.  You were still the man.  But McDermott is true to his word, always, and in the end, you weren’t part of what he thinks is the best plan moving forward.

We will remember you always, along with Cookie and OJ and Joe and Thurman and Fred, for being one of those special guys who carried the ball and often the team.  Good luck to you always.   

We all liked the guy but you don’t have to write him a love letter.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Totally. Beane just knows how to GM speak here. 

I was calling for this since last year.  Anyone can search my posts, i'm a revisionist!  I'm more confident now in this front office than I ever have been.  McCoy is not as good a locker room guy nitwits on the board proclaim him to be.  

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's a complete fiction propagated by fans, but with no basis in reality.

BB mentioned clearly that they shopped Shady around but found no trade partners.

You bolded my comment and then leave this? 

“I THINK...” the is no fact to my comment other than my own opinion and thought, can’t be wrong, can’t be correct. 

Bean also stated McCoy is free to go where he wants and he earned that. 

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Totally. Beane just knows how to GM speak here. 

He straight up said they tried to find a fit but couldn't find one.

Of course BB would have traded McCoy for value if a deal was there to be done.

The fact that McCoy was cut in exchange for nothing tells you how many teams made offers: NONE.

You don't need to read a tweet from some talking head to figure that out!