Lesean McCoy cut!

A good thing probably, as this means Marcus Murphy will be on the roster, a player with a lot more juice and one just getting started.

So, it looks like this is how things break down in this order: Singletary as the main back, Gore/Murphy, Yeldon, third down back.

With it unlikely that either McCoy and Gore as Bills next year, the Bills are doing the right thing.  But this is not a move just for the future, but this year.  If the Bills thought that McCoy would be more productive than Murphy than this would not have been done.

But very surprising that there was NO interest in McCoy!  So much for Beane the magician on this one.  Maybe his personal conduct the last few years has raised too many questions?

Edited by Mister Defense

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There must have been no trade market for him at all because there's no way they would have released him without looking into that. I'm honestly shocked.

Or sometimes with a established vet, if there was fairly low trade value to begin with, i.e. a 6th rounder, they give him a release to allow him to go wherever he wants.  He's "earned that"

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mister Defense said:

A good thing probably, as this means Marcus Murphy will be on the roster, a player with a lot more juice and one just getting started.

So, it looks like this is how things break down in this order: Singletary as the main back, Gore/Murphy, Yeldon, third down back.

With it unlikely that either McCoy and Gore as Bills next year, the Bills are doing the right thing.  But this is not a move just for the future, but this year.  If the Bills thought that McCoy would more productive than Murphy than this would not have been done.

Murphy was already cut earlier this morning 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Is it possible that McCoy requested to be cut rather than traded and the Bills honored his request?

My initial thought was "why didn't we get something for him?  We got a 6th round pick for Bodine."

It had to have been a mutually agreed upon decision, no?

My thoughts exactly.  Astro and I were talking Thursday and he said Bill's were in talks with Dallas and he thought Shady trade. They probably honored him as a player. His best were behind him 2 years ago.

Like I posted in the other cuts thread, I've always been a huge Shady fan but don't have a problem with this.  Shady might have sulked with a reduced workload and now this gives the youngster Singletary a chance to shine.  Gore will be a great locker room presence (along with another vet like Yeldon).

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, scribo said:

Cutting him means the no contract following him. Likely no team was willing to accept the contract he had.

Yes.  His contract was a big why some posters thought he could be on the chopping block.  Too many other factors too: his down year last season, the free agents brought in and the ages of him an Gore. It all pointed this way.