This is a serious question is Brandon Beane a GOD

21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well that's total BS so who knows if anything else stated is true?  Johnson played decent and left the field with the team ahead.  Flutie did not have a good season that year at all, they won in spite of him, not becasue of him.  The first year he was here and started, he played great.  But after about 10 to 12 games defenses figured him out and the 2nd year, he was OK, but nothing special. 

I'll grant you he was very good at one thing, deflecting blame.  When ever he was questioned about anything in post game press conference about his performance, he'd turn the question around to something else.  Great way to push the blame elsewhere without ever being accused of pointing fingers.

He was 10-22 for 131 yards, was sacked 6 times, and lost a fumble in his own end zone! How is that anything but a bad game? This against a pass D that was 20th in net yards per pass allowed, 25th in td passes allowed, and 27th in passing yards allowed. The Tennessee D was also 15th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed in a 29 -team league. And those numbers were goosed a little by playing an expansion team in the second week of the season and smothering them.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Butler's contract was expiring that February, Ralph offered him a new one and Butler declined. Can't go in to the off-season without a GM

....friend of mine was at OBD the day Ralph pulled the trigger......sent me a text as soon as it happened......he was AJ Smith/Bills West bound period.....

Butler Out As GM Of Bills

December 19, 2000 / 2:52 PM / CBS/AP

Buffalo fired general manager John Butler on Tuesday, saying it couldn't wait any longer for him to decide whether he would be staying with the Bills.

The 54-year-old Butler, recognized as one of the best at spotting talented players, was in the final year of his contract, and he was being courted by other teams. News of his firing was first reported by the Buffalo News.

"John Butler has been dismissed of his duties as executive vice president and general manager of the club effective immediately," owner Ralph Wilson said in a statement.

"The reason for the dismissal is because John has refused to give me an answer as to his future intentions," Wilson said. "The time has come to move forward and therefore I can wait no longer to see who will be the Bills' general manager after this season."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/butler-out-as-gm-of-bills/

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....friend of mine was at OBD the day Ralph pulled the trigger......sent me a text as soon as it happened......

Buffalo fired general manager John Butler on Tuesday, saying it couldn't wait any longer for him to decide whether he would be staying with the Bills.

The 54-year-old Butler, recognized as one of the best at spotting talented players, was in the final year of his contract, and he was being courted by other teams. News of his firing was first reported by the Buffalo News.

"John Butler has been dismissed of his duties as executive vice president and general manager of the club effective immediately," owner Ralph Wilson said in a statement.

"The reason for the dismissal is because John has refused to give me an answer as to his future intentions," Wilson said. "The time has come to move forward and therefore I can wait no longer to see who will be the Bills' general manager after this season."

I called in to FavTv show with Brinson...Butler was on and i asked him about this...how can you be the GM without signing an extension...gave me some bull....answer about working hard.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....friend of mine was at OBD the day Ralph pulled the trigger......sent me a text as soon as it happened......he was AJ Smith/Bills West bound period.....

So having said that, the stories about the meddling owner rose after Butler was deposed and there were less than flattering accounts of Wilson's treatment of JB. I can't find the story online, but I recall that Wilson reveled in throwing a dig at Butler's working class background and his previous work as a janitor or something like that, after military service. Again, don't recall the exact story details, but the the underlying theme was that Wilson never gave Butler credit and did not feel that he was worthy of a top GM rank. To me, offering to double a $600K salary, when the going rate for a top GM is $2-$3 million is insulting, especially when I'm the one who built the best team you ever had.”

i have always thought and still do that Wilson did not like Butler and forced him out. Apparently others thought so too, despite what Wilson wanted to spin.  

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Jkjk said:

So having said that, the stories about the meddling owner rose after Butler was deposed and there were less than flattering accounts of Wilson's treatment of JB. I can't find the story online, but I recall that Wilson reveled in throwing a dig at Butler's working class background and his previous work as a janitor or something like that, after military service. Again, don't recall the exact story details, but the the underlying theme was that Wilson never gave Butler credit and did not feel that he was worthy of a top GM rank. To me, offering to double a $600K salary, when the going rate for a top GM is $2-$3 million is insulting, especially when I'm the one who built the best team you ever had.”

i have always thought and still do that Wilson did not like Butler and forced him out. Apparently others thought so too, despite what Wilson wanted to spin.  

...not finding fault with Butler on his grave....did not know the salary disparity, but then again Ralph fought Wade for his "you quit...no you fired me" 800 grand HC salary and lost....Donohole hired Greggy for 900 grand as HC so "frugal fits"...much has been made about Butler's cap jail, but that has passed...RIP John, you did your best IMO...

22 minutes ago, colin said:

lol, you mean that late round pick who has looked really good in preaseason?

Who sets the edge well and sometimes gets after the QB? Everyone is so down on Shaq when he is exactly what we need in a defense that couldn't stop the run.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

We've been without a competent GM for so long that we get excited by a normal operation

Now we are excited about the "potential" of moves by the GM. I suppose it can be exciting to witness a roster build unfold right?

There is only one God. But seriously, on paper and moves that Beane has made look pretty good to me.  I do not agree with the Shady cut, but financially speaking and for the good of the team maybe this was for the best? 

How does Beane reach elite status within the circle of upper echelon GM’s? 1) Allen truly needs to take the next step- the regime will live and die by him. 2) they must get into the playoffs and not just sneak it- it is time to put together a strong season of 10-6 or 11-5. 3) Next season they need to reach the championship game/Super Bowl.

In my opinion, if these milestones are not achieved then he will be viewed by the NFL as average at best. 

Go Bills

• Awesome! (+1) 1