Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Thrill

Is Stephen Hauschka The Greatest Kicker in Bills History?

Huasch has been good, but hasn't had the longevity with the Bills to call him our best kicker.  Kickers often have a good year or 2, then lose their mojo and either move on or retire.  Dan Carpenter was great for the Bills for a couple of years (fairly recently), then just lost it.  I hope that the same doesn't happen to Hausch and that in a couple of years we can answer the OP's question with a "Yes." Some the greats - like Adam Vinatieri - have been able to sustain excellence over a really long period of time.  Again, I hope that Hausch can do the same!

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only if you count his career before he got to Buffalo.

Of course that would make no sense.  So the answer to your question is no.

I was looking more at the talent level and from a pure ability standpoint.  I think Hauschka has been the best kicker ever for the Bills

38 minutes ago, pop gun said:

OMG, Why!

The season can't start soon enough!

Why not?

Christie as stated many times over, and its not close.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Scott Norwood had a very nice career here, it gets overshadowed by his biggest miss.

He hit some very clutch kicks during the rise up to and run of our AFC championships.

I'm sorry, we don't speak of that name here 😪

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Element115 said:

Steve Christie was better IMO.

would have hit that Super Bowl winning FG blindfolded and spun around a dozen times

I think Carpenter from 2013 to 2014 was slightly better. Carpenter hit 91.7 and then 89.8% of his field goals in those two seasons only missing from 50+ in 2013. Haush had an excellent 2017 but fell off in 2018. Not sure why they gave Haush a lucrative extension coming off of a somewhat down year. 

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Scott Norwood had a very nice career here, it gets overshadowed by his biggest miss.

He hit some very clutch kicks during the rise up to and run of our AFC championships.

he was okay, leaning on him that hard to kick a clutch FG from the outer limits of his range was unfair, but that's sports...

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The Bills tried to replace him in 1988, they drafted a kicker 135th overall. That's modern 4th round. Kirk Roach.  He's apparently on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot this year.

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Ryan Lindell is very underappreciated 

He missed a couple big kicks that cost them games.

2004 v. Pittsburgh

Monday Night v. Cleveland come to mind.

4 hours ago, Element115 said:

Steve Christie was better IMO.

100% Christie.  He makes that kick Norwood missed.  I think kicking is much easier now.  Christie was money.  SH is good in his own right though. 

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No love for Nick Mike-Mayer?

51nBDJ3V0zL._SY445_.jpg

He was part of "Chuck Knox' Super Bowl team" no?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

100% Christie.  He makes that kick Norwood missed.  I think kicking is much easier now.  Christie was money.  SH is good in his own right though. 

I don't know that it's easier. I just think the players are better.  Field conditions are better and the number of kickers kicking indoors helps, but we saw 3 54 yard FGs last night like it was nothing.  That would not have happened in the Norwood era from anyone.  Some guys could make them, Morten Andersen for example, but it was rare.

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He was part of "Chuck Knox' Super Bowl team" no?

I don't know that it's easier. I just think the players are better.  Field conditions are better and the number of kickers kicking indoors helps, but we saw 3 54 yard FGs last night like it was nothing.  That would not have happened in the Norwood era from anyone.  Some guys could make them, Morten Andersen for example, but it was rare.

a recent "science of kicking" has clearly developed and the conditions on the field are pristine (mostly) so it is more automatic, to the point that the NFL had to change the rules.

Mike-Mayer (not brought over in the quote) missed a late FG for the Bills and as he got home a fan ran over and punched him for costing him the point spread wager that day

19 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Honestly, not yet imo- Norwood and Christie were pretty damn good.

you felt sorry for Norwood, he wasn't remotely close to an elite kicker

Christie was

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you felt sorry for Norwood, he wasn't remotely close to an elite kicker

Christie was

He was pretty damn good- opinions vary thats all

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yes, I have always felt that way.

20 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

He was pretty damn good- opinions vary thats all

He was he was damn mediocre for most of his career and below average for the last few years of his career.  Norwood had 1 good season in 1988.  He was mediocre the rest of his career and he went downhill fast.  

Also notice how Norwood never got a second chance to kick once the Bills released him?  Once the 1990’s hit he was no longer good.

Bills fans love Scott, but I think they also tend to overrate his effectiveness as a kicker.  

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

The Bills tried to replace him in 1988, they drafted a kicker 135th overall. That's modern 4th round. Kirk Roach.  He's apparently on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot this year.

So then one could say Roach got smoked in an open competition and didn’t take the job.

IMO it’s still Christie because house money hasn’t been here long enough. But I’m happy with him so far.