Is Stephen Hauschka The Greatest Kicker in Bills History?

37 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Yep. And the K game was different back then too, they didn’t have the leg that the more modern guys have. 

I’ll always respect and have a special place in my heart for Scott Norwood. We flubbed that entire final possession in XXV, and then asked the guy to make a kick he had never made on grass in his career. 

Revisionist history.  He kicked that FG when the Bills were up 10-0.  It’s not like the score was 7-7 and he kicked the game winner.  Norwood rarely was rarely put in those situations.  

Many Bills fans do have a special place in their hearts like you do....which is my point.  I think fans like him and are quick to overlook the fact that in 1990 he was not a very good or reliable kicker 

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Fun questions from the game coverage last night. Any have talked about their perceived “struggles” from Stephen Hauschka this preseason and whether the Bills should have extended him.  I think that some may be underestimating his talent.  Because when you look at his production, I think you can ask the question whether Steve is the greatest kicker in Buffalo Bills history. 

While he has only been in town for a few years, I think you might be hard pressed to find a kicker who was more reliable.  He is 7th all-time in NFL history for accuracy and has shown that he can make clutch kicks including long field goals with consistency.  IMO there has never been a kicker as talented.  

The closest one that comes to mind is Steve Christie.  For a few seasons after his signing Christie was flat out clutch.  But around 1994 his performance and consistency began to slip a bit.  

IMO there is no one else close.  Don’t pretend that Scott Norwood was ever on that level.  Even in his Pro Bowl year in 1988, he was not as dependable from outside 40.  In fact, the Bills held onto Norwood for too long when they 

Others like Rian Lindell or Matt Carpenter were ok but not among the league’s best.  

Only if you count his career before he got to Buffalo.

Of course that would make no sense.  So the answer to your question is no.

Huasch has been good, but hasn't had the longevity with the Bills to call him our best kicker.  Kickers often have a good year or 2, then lose their mojo and either move on or retire.  Dan Carpenter was great for the Bills for a couple of years (fairly recently), then just lost it.  I hope that the same doesn't happen to Hausch and that in a couple of years we can answer the OP's question with a "Yes." Some the greats - like Adam Vinatieri - have been able to sustain excellence over a really long period of time.  Again, I hope that Hausch can do the same!

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Only if you count his career before he got to Buffalo.

Of course that would make no sense.  So the answer to your question is no.

I was looking more at the talent level and from a pure ability standpoint.  I think Hauschka has been the best kicker ever for the Bills

38 minutes ago, pop gun said:

OMG, Why!

The season can't start soon enough!

Why not?

Christie as stated many times over, and its not close.

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Scott Norwood had a very nice career here, it gets overshadowed by his biggest miss.

He hit some very clutch kicks during the rise up to and run of our AFC championships.

I'm sorry, we don't speak of that name here ?

• Like (+1) 1

I think Carpenter from 2013 to 2014 was slightly better. Carpenter hit 91.7 and then 89.8% of his field goals in those two seasons only missing from 50+ in 2013. Haush had an excellent 2017 but fell off in 2018. Not sure why they gave Haush a lucrative extension coming off of a somewhat down year. 

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Scott Norwood had a very nice career here, it gets overshadowed by his biggest miss.

He hit some very clutch kicks during the rise up to and run of our AFC championships.

he was okay, leaning on him that hard to kick a clutch FG from the outer limits of his range was unfair, but that's sports...

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

The Bills tried to replace him in 1988, they drafted a kicker 135th overall. That's modern 4th round. Kirk Roach.  He's apparently on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot this year.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No love for Nick Mike-Mayer?

51nBDJ3V0zL._SY445_.jpg

He was part of "Chuck Knox' Super Bowl team" no?

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

100% Christie.  He makes that kick Norwood missed.  I think kicking is much easier now.  Christie was money.  SH is good in his own right though. 

I don't know that it's easier. I just think the players are better.  Field conditions are better and the number of kickers kicking indoors helps, but we saw 3 54 yard FGs last night like it was nothing.  That would not have happened in the Norwood era from anyone.  Some guys could make them, Morten Andersen for example, but it was rare.

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He was part of "Chuck Knox' Super Bowl team" no?

I don't know that it's easier. I just think the players are better.  Field conditions are better and the number of kickers kicking indoors helps, but we saw 3 54 yard FGs last night like it was nothing.  That would not have happened in the Norwood era from anyone.  Some guys could make them, Morten Andersen for example, but it was rare.

a recent "science of kicking" has clearly developed and the conditions on the field are pristine (mostly) so it is more automatic, to the point that the NFL had to change the rules.

Mike-Mayer (not brought over in the quote) missed a late FG for the Bills and as he got home a fan ran over and punched him for costing him the point spread wager that day