Is Stephen Hauschka The Greatest Kicker in Bills History?

Fun questions from the game coverage last night. Any have talked about their perceived “struggles” from Stephen Hauschka this preseason and whether the Bills should have extended him.  I think that some may be underestimating his talent.  Because when you look at his production, I think you can ask the question whether Steve is the greatest kicker in Buffalo Bills history. 

While he has only been in town for a few years, I think you might be hard pressed to find a kicker who was more reliable.  He is 7th all-time in NFL history for accuracy and has shown that he can make clutch kicks including long field goals with consistency.  IMO there has never been a kicker as talented.  

The closest one that comes to mind is Steve Christie.  For a few seasons after his signing Christie was flat out clutch.  But around 1994 his performance and consistency began to slip a bit.  

IMO there is no one else close.  Don’t pretend that Scott Norwood was ever on that level.  Even in his Pro Bowl year in 1988, he was not as dependable from outside 40.  In fact, the Bills held onto Norwood for too long when they 

Others like Rian Lindell or Matt Carpenter were ok but not among the league’s best.  

I think you need to judge kickers on a sliding scale as kicking has improved TREMENDOUSLY over time.  Although not strong legged, Norwood was among the best historical kickers of his era for several yrs.  Christie was also good though I don't know if up to that measurement.  Although it was before my time, & he was only w/ the Bills for a short time, Googalak was for a short time, at a level beyond any of his peers.

3 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Scott Norwood had a very nice career here, it gets overshadowed by his biggest miss.

He hit some very clutch kicks during the rise up to and run of our AFC championships.

I disagree.  If anything, I think Norwood was very overrated.

People remember his All-Pro year in 1988 but that was the climax of his career.  He went downhill fairly swiftly.  By 1991 it was clear he should not be kicking on an NFL roster and once the Bills wisely cut ties, he never kicked another field goal in the NFL.

I also remember Norwood missing many kicks he should have made during 1990 and 1991 especially

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Imo Norwood was okay but he did drill a big FG in the 1991 AFC Championship vs the Broncos.  

Eh.... it was a 47 yard field goal and he did make it in the game, but he also struggled from 40+ quite a bit that season.  There were several games in 1991 that he botched easy FG’s.

Bills fans rallied around Norwood and he’s an easily likable character, but I think because of this some Bills fans overrate him as a kicker 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Imo Norwood was okay but he did drill a big FG in the 1991 AFC Championship vs the Broncos.  

Yep. And the K game was different back then too, they didn’t have the leg that the more modern guys have. 

I’ll always respect and have a special place in my heart for Scott Norwood. We flubbed that entire final possession in XXV, and then asked the guy to make a kick he had never made on grass in his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

Steve Christie for me. I also wish we could have held onto Dustin Hopkins, but Carpenter really outdid himself for a couple of years. Having said this, Hauschka is going to have a good year. He was dealing with an injury last year.

45 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Fun questions from the game coverage last night. Any have talked about their perceived “struggles” from Stephen Hauschka this preseason and whether the Bills should have extended him.  I think that some may be underestimating his talent.  Because when you look at his production, I think you can ask the question whether Steve is the greatest kicker in Buffalo Bills history. 

While he has only been in town for a few years, I think you might be hard pressed to find a kicker who was more reliable.  He is 7th all-time in NFL history for accuracy and has shown that he can make clutch kicks including long field goals with consistency.  IMO there has never been a kicker as talented.  

The closest one that comes to mind is Steve Christie.  For a few seasons after his signing Christie was flat out clutch.  But around 1994 his performance and consistency began to slip a bit.  

IMO there is no one else close.  Don’t pretend that Scott Norwood was ever on that level.  Even in his Pro Bowl year in 1988, he was not as dependable from outside 40.  In fact, the Bills held onto Norwood for too long when they 

Others like Rian Lindell or Matt Carpenter were ok but not among the league’s best.  

OMG, Why!

The season can't start soon enough!