Bodine traded to the Patriots for a 6th round pick

HappyDays

12 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yeah, I imagine that if any other team had made this trade like Arizona we'd be laughing at them. I guess it depends if Scar is a better o-line coach than everyone else.

He is one of the best in the business but he only has a week to get Bodine ready for the Steelers.

Trying to change his style could be worse than just letting him do what he does.

As time goes by he could help Bodine but that ain't going to help Brady to start the season.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Actually they concluded that they couldn't afford to keep him given their other future contracts.

And will you he happier to see Morse play well and earn his contract, or not and you be proven right?

Mad I said.  He HAS to play well for this line to work so here’s hoping he does

Someone in the media stated that Beane see's next year as "the year".  It sure seems like they are putting themselves in position to do something significant around the draft and we still have a healthy amount of money next season to spend.  I can buy into that theory.

25 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yeah, I imagine that if any other team had made this trade like Arizona we'd be laughing at them. I guess it depends if Scar is a better o-line coach than everyone else.

Yeah, people joke about but of course the pats get the benefit of the doubt.  It does seem like NE does get the best out of oline men and they suck the second they leave. 

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I am shocked by the fear on this board. I shouldn't be, but I am. We dump a terrible player, who was buried on the depth chart, for assets and now we're doomed? Some of you guys need to settle down.

I didn’t read the thread but I can’t imagine anyone being fearful.  

I do remember some fans laughing at NE paying Gilmore all that money though.  

A good deal for both teams. I don't think Bodine is a very good player but he is a semi-competent center. The O-line last year did improve considerably when he was at center. Granted Groy fell off huge and isn't in the league anymore. But Bodine still did provide an upgrade. He has a lot of experience at a position where experience matters. 

The Pats were desperate for a center and from their perspective which center out on the free agent market was going to be better than Bodine? The Bills got a 6th round pick for a player they were going to cut. Win win for both teams. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do remember some fans laughing at NE paying Gilmore all that money though.  

We have traded our 4th string center for a 6th rd pick and all of a sudden now Bellichick knows our whole playbook and Bodine will become a pro bowler. Saved you the time.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

We have traded our 4th string center for a 6th rd pick and all of a sudden now Bellichick knows our whole playbook and Bodine will become a pro bowler. Saved you the time.

Well that’s silly.  I mean NE probably isn’t really concerned with us right now anyways. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

the pats get the benefit of the doubt.

No they don't. They have been terrible with draft picks for years. On the same day they gave a pick for Russell Bodine, they also traded last year's 2nd round pick Duke Dawson for a 6th. In fact they used a 4th to trade up for Duke Dawson in the 2nd, and 1 year later he's gone for peanuts. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick make that team what it is. Their decisions aren't infallible.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

No they don't. They have been terrible with draft picks for years. On the same day they gave a pick for Russell Bodine, they also traded last year's 2nd round pick Duke Dawson for a 6th. In fact they used a 4th to trade up for Duke Dawson in the 2nd, and 1 year later he's gone for peanuts. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick make that team what it is. Their decisions aren't infallible.

Of course not.  But if we won 6 SBs, we’d be in the same position.  They do have the best o line coach in the game.

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well that’s silly.  I mean NE probably isn’t really concerned with us right now anyways. 

Not to mention Bellycheat is famous for signing a player off a team's practice squad just before they play the team and harvesting the playbook.

I wonder how Tom Brady will like making throws with Bodine in his damn lap though

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

How did we get any value for Russell Bodine?

I assume Belichick does this to try to gain intel on the playbook of a division opponent. He’ll be cut just after the Dark Master gets his information. All for a 6th round pick. 

12 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I assume Belichick does this to try to gain intel on the playbook of a division opponent. He’ll be cut just after the Dark Master gets his information. All for a 6th round pick. 

We are cutting dozens of guys any of which could be signed by the Pats for the same purpose.  At least we made them pay something.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ha!  Like they don’t already have everyone’s playbooks. 

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not to mention Bellycheat is famous for signing a player off a team's practice squad just before they play the team and harvesting the playbook.

I wonder how Tom Brady will like making throws with Bodine in his damn lap though

Bodine will probably back up. Karras has been the backup there for 3 years and started a couple games. 

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That is a tremendous trade. It not only gives us a 6th but makes the Patriots worse! Unless Ernie Adams and Bellicheat can put their sorcery to work on him. I don't think you can do that to everyone.

Never underestimate DS. I think Bodine sucks but I wouldn’t be surprised....

2 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Never underestimate DS. I think Bodine sucks but I wouldn’t be surprised....

It's tricky. The Pats sign Gilmore and he becomes an all-pro. The Pats sign Hogan, Gilislee, and Chandler and none of them play better there than they did here. I feel like I won't be surprised if Bodine plays better, "plays better" as in the Pats just throw when he is in there to mask his deficiencies, or if he is as mediocre there as he was here.