I hope Eddie Yarbourgh makes it

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He helped his case last night IMO.

Da Bears waived Gentry and signed him to their practice squad 2x last year and the Bills passed even when their WR corps was putrid.  So apparently they don't see that connection as "money" in the NFL.

......not to disrupt thread.....the Rudolph/Washington connection with Steelers seems to be growing though......

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......not to disrupt thread.....the Rudolph/Washington connection with Steelers seems to be growing though......

Washington was a superb prospect and went in the 2nd round I believe

Gentry didn't get drafted because worries about his seperation ability and speed

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Washington was a superb prospect and went in the 2nd round I believe

Gentry didn't get drafted because worries about his seperation ability and speed

..agree.....but nice to see these unifications of collegiate teammates happen in the NFL ala Rudolph/Washington.....hope it works out for them and the Steelers.....

Gonna be an uphill slog for EY, I think. But if that’s the bad news, the good news is he put a helluva game on video last night for the whole league to see. I don’t think he’ll be unemployed for long.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well if you go by what's the popular choice, many more people here calling for 6 to 7 WR's than DL.  So to answer your question, according to the experts here on this site, yes WR is a bigger need!   Everyone here's in a panic over Morse staying healthy so would think based on that OL should also be a higher priority.  I'll promise you one thing, there's a much better chance of Kroft missing the 1st game due to injury than Murphy.  If as Beane mentioned, they keep him on the active 53, likely one of the extra roster spots will go to TE.  So again TE also may be higher than DL.  Personally I do think Kroft ends up on PUP,  but will see,

Are you saying they need more than 2 backups or their backups aren't very good?  If it's that they aren't very good, can't see wasting a roster spot on more mediocre talent.  Or are you saying for some strange reason 2 backups at DE isn't enough for the Bills even though  that's pretty much the norm for every other team?

Murphy had one major injury and missed a year.  Could he re-injure it sure, but just as likely it doesn''t happen or just as likely a players who's never ever been injured gets hurt in the 1st game.  And if it does happen, then you place him on IR and sign someone else.  Seems to me Lawson has missed more time that he has over the past few seasons.    If you're adding depth just in case someone were to get hurt, then you probably need extra players at every position and the numbers just don't add up.

There's probably one "wild card" spot open on each side of the ball to add a player above the normal roster allotment.  Will it go to Yarbourgh, maybe.  Certainly no one extra a DT competing against for the spot.  Could come down to him or a CB.  Or for whatever reaosn, they decide to add both extra players to offense side

Good point about Kroft; he probably does wind up on PUP.  Keep Knox and Sweeney.  Is the TE position going to be that heavily utilized that we need to keep more than three, even with Kroft on PUP?

As far as DE goes, there is Murphy, Hughes, Lawson, Darryl Johnson, and I'd argue for keep Yarbrough since Murphy doesn't have a good track record of staying healthy.  Love is starting the season on IR.  Fewer DE's mean less for rotation.  Murphy is not good against the run, so really he is more of a third down DE.  Lawson is still developing against the pass, but seems to be making strides; solid against the run, so may develop into a full time starter. Yarbrough is a young rotational guy who seemed to show promise and is worth keeping around.  Darryl Johnson is still an unknown rookie; potential is there, but who knows at this point.

The problem I see is the penchant for bringing in pro personnel with injury history, whether it be TE, DE, or OL, where they occupy a roster spot due to potential only if they are not injured.  Kind of throws a wrench in the works.

3 minutes ago, The Virginian said:

I saw Tanner Gentry play 

He is a WR 5-6 at best and struggles to create seperation in the NFL

Idk the fascination with him, like Brandon Riley who is actually faster than Gentry atleast

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, The Virginian said:

He really gave it his all to win a spot on the roster.  Of course, I'm bias, the more University of Wyoming players the better. Speaking of former Wyoming players, If Chicago drops WR Tanner Gentry, the Bills ought to pick him up.  Allen and him were money when they played in Laramie together.

I don't think he'll make the Bills, but I do think he'll find a new team. In the category of "I know a guy who knows a guy" -- Yarbrough worked out in offseasons here in the Denver area and everyone knew him liked him.

4 hours ago, The Virginian said:

He really gave it his all to win a spot on the roster.  Of course, I'm bias, the more University of Wyoming players the better. Speaking of former Wyoming players, If Chicago drops WR Tanner Gentry, the Bills ought to pick him up.  Allen and him were money when they played in Laramie together.

With respect to your Wyoming fandom, why does this Gentry guy keep being brought up?  Teams love white wrs now.  If he showed some talent, he’d find his way in the league.  You don’t bring guys in because they were buddies with someone in college.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He helped his case last night IMO.

Da Bears waived Gentry and signed him to their practice squad 2x last year and the Bills passed even when their WR corps was putrid.  So apparently they don't see that connection as "money" in the NFL.

What, we were going to pass on the 2nd coming of Deonte Thompson? On Cam Phillips? On Jeremy Kerley?  There was no room for him in Orchard Park!

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The problem I see is the penchant for bringing in pro personnel with injury history, whether it be TE, DE, or OL, where they occupy a roster spot due to potential only if they are not injured.  Kind of throws a wrench in the works.

How many good FA are you going to find that don't have an injury history?  If not injury, then it's some other issue, looming 2nd drug suspension, head case, other.  Typically that's why they are a FA.  If none of these issues existed, they likely never would have been a FA.

Appears the plan is you take a chance on some of these guys short term until you can draft their eventual replacement.  But you can't fill all of them in 2 or even 3 seasons via the draft.  So you take some gambles on guys with one of the things mentioned above.  And injuries are probably the easiest to deal with in some ways compared to head case, or drugs.

As far as Murphy goes besides the blown out knee and likely the after effects yet last seaosn, how many other injuries has he had?  I looked up his record and didn't see many other injuries. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With respect to your Wyoming fandom, why does this Gentry guy keep being brought up?  Teams love white wrs now.  If he showed some talent, he’d find his way in the league.  You don’t bring guys in because they were buddies with someone in college.

I mean last year I liked the idea what with the roster then having only what 2 likely to be on the 53 this year. But this year no there isn't room to wing it on something like this.

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

How many good FA are you going to find that don't have an injury history?  If not injury, then it's some other issue, looming 2nd drug suspension, head case, other.  Typically that's why they are a FA.  If none of these issues existed, they likely never would have been a FA.

Appears the plan is you take a chance on some of these guys short term until you can draft their eventual replacement.  But you can't fill all of them in 2 or even 3 seasons via the draft.  So you take some gambles on guys with one of the things mentioned above.  And injuries are probably the easiest to deal with in some ways compared to head case, or drugs.

As far as Murphy goes besides the blown out knee and likely the after effects yet last seaosn, how many other injuries has he had?  I looked up his record and didn't see many other injuries. 

Murphy missed all of 2017 in Washington.  In 2018 with Buffalo he was spotty at best.  So that blown out knee shouldn't be taken lightly.  I do hope he is good to go this year, but not holding my breath.

Morse had a track record of concussions in KC.  Missed the last 6 weeks in 2018 and most of 2017.  There is concern that one more concussion ends his football career.

Kroft missed most of 2015, about 25% of 2016, and nearly all of 2018.  2019 is starting out quite tentatively for him.

I get your point about why guys are FAs, though my point is maybe they should be passed on; Morse and Kroft come to mind.  I know my argument of passing on Morse may not be popular due to his potential, but concussions are taken very seriously these days.  Potential means little if he retires early.  Of the three, Murphy might be the guy with the highest probability who recovers.  I think this current pro personnel department rolls the dice with injuries a bit much.  This wasn't anywhere near an issue with Whaley's pro personnel department, as I recall.

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Murphy missed all of 2017 in Washington.  In 2018 with Buffalo he was spotty at best.  So that blown out knee shouldn't be taken lightly.  I do hope he is good to go this year, but not holding my breath.

Morse had a track record of concussions in KC.  Missed the last 6 weeks in 2018 and most of 2017.  There is concern that one more concussion ends his football career.

Kroft missed most of 2015, about 25% of 2016, and nearly all of 2018.  2019 is starting out quite tentatively for him.

I get your point about why guys are FAs, though my point is maybe they should be passed on; Morse and Kroft come to mind.  I know my argument of passing on Morse may not be popular due to his potential, but concussions are taken very seriously these days.  Potential means little if he retires early.  Of the three, Murphy might be the guy with the highest probability who recovers.  I think this current pro personnel department rolls the dice with injuries a bit much.  This wasn't anywhere near an issue with Whaley's pro personnel department, as I recall.

Morse vs. Paradis was the choice -- concussion history vs. a fractured fibula and earlier surgeries on both hips. When faced with that choice, I'm not sure anyone has better odds than a coin flip of choosing which guy is likely to stay healthy for longer.

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Morse vs. Paradis was the choice -- concussion history vs. a fractured fibula and earlier surgeries on both hips. When faced with that choice, I'm not sure anyone has better odds than a coin flip of choosing which guy is likely to stay healthy for longer.

Morse also offers more flexibility in terms of blocking schemes as he’s just as proficient in zone or man concepts. Paradis is much better in zone blocking than hat on hat.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen and Gentry have a mind meld.  Did you not watch the video?  Those two together are a force multiplier.  Tanner is not the biggest nor the fastest, but he catches everything Allen threw at him.  You really had to experience it to appreciate it.  I’d like to see if the magic is still there.  Like a lot of so called experts that have no clue about Allen, a lot of people have poo-pooed Tanner.  If he could get back with Allen I think that would be the difference.  

He did...on the practice squad...he is only an injury away from coming back up...he has been pretty decent when he plays but i think Johnston could be actually good...maybe even really good with some time. Still its nice to have some proven depth that you can call up at any point...

Hopefully another team doesnt grab him if they have injuries...

On 8/31/2019 at 5:55 PM, Virgil said:

Aaaannnnddddd, he’s cut. 

That blows

Back on the PS now...

Edited by matter2003