Darryl Johnson told he’s safe

The Athletic had a good article about him.

Still, college recruiters overlooked him. Johnson finished the season without a single offer, despite Coffey trying to convince schools he was the real deal. He was still only 190 pounds, so some wondered if he could put on enough weight. Others wondered if he was a basketball player.

“My comment to everyone was, ‘You’re missing the boat,’” Coffey said. “We as coaches can get indignant about some of our guys, but I said, you are going to miss on this kid because his ceiling is as high as any kid I’ve been around.”

That’s how Johnson ended up at North Carolina A&T, originally without even a full scholarship. He redshirted his first season and then started off on special teams. While the Aggies’ coaching staff took it slow with him, defensive coordinator Sam Washington almost couldn’t believe some of the things Johnson did on the field.

“We were like, ‘Something ain’t right here,’” Washington said. “It was right away with me. When I saw him, every time I would walk past him, I would say, ‘Son, you’re my future.’ This was as a redshirt freshman. We knew then that we had something special with this kid.”

The way Johnson was getting off the ball, changing directions and making plays in coverage was jaw-dropping. Then as a redshirt sophomore, Johnson was standing tall against Brandon Parker, the Aggies’ offensive tackle who would become the Raiders’ 2018 third-round pick. That’s when scouts started asking, “Who is this kid?”

Next came Johnson’s dominant 2018 season, in which he had 10.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss. Still, though, the doubts lingered. His coach and some scouts expected him to stay in school for his senior season. He also had the option of transferring to a big-time program to use his final season of eligibility. But Johnson had seen others do that only to sit on the bench, so he took his chances in the draft.

With each passing practice in Buffalo, more and more people are asking the same question others have asked before: Who the hell is that? Even Sean McDermott was a bit taken aback by how quickly Johnson has stood out.

“You see the length and the ability to bend,” McDermott said. “Those two aren’t always connected. And then the instincts, as well, are there. Early signs anyway. The thing that stands out to me most is his competitive nature and work ethic.”

https://theathletic.com/1154574/2019/08/22/he-can-be-a-beast-in-this-league-how-darryl-johnson-became-the-surprise-of-the-bills-draft-class/

Length

Bend

Instincts

Competitive

Work Ethic

These sound like the makings of a first round edge rusher, certainly not a 7th rounder.

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

https://theathletic.com/1154574/2019/08/22/he-can-be-a-beast-in-this-league-how-darryl-johnson-became-the-surprise-of-the-bills-draft-class/

Length

Bend

Instincts

Competitive

Work Ethic

These sound like the makings of a first round edge rusher, certainly not a 7th rounder.

Good stuff right here!

• Like (+1) 1

Not a shock to anyone.  The interesting question is whether or not Eddie Yarbrough makes the 53 man roster as a fifth DE.  He's be quiet all preseason until last night, when he turned into a tackling machine.  Mike Love's trip to IR opened the door a crack and he did his best to push it open the rest of the way.

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Not a shock to anyone.  The interesting question is whether or not Eddie Yarbrough makes the 53 man roster as a fifth DE.  He's be quiet all preseason until last night, when he turned into a tackling machine.  Mike Love's trip to IR opened the door a crack and he did his best to push it open the rest of the way.

The problem for EY is he did it in the most meaningless game of pre-season.  It probably won't help him.

4 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Length

Bend

Instincts

Competitive

Work Ethic

It has all been circumstance for Johnson. He emerged as a senior and his real potential and growth is now! Reminds me of a young Manny Lawson.

Edited by Rocket94

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

It has all been circumstance for Johnson. He emerged as a senior and his real potential and growth is now! Reminds me of a young Manny Lawson.

That's an interesting comparison.    Both angular with very long arms..........but I think Johnson has the frame to get bigger and stronger at the point of attack.    He is a football player who is a good athlete.   Lawson was like a track star who played football.   He tried hard and was a good teammate but he just lacked the instincts and ability to set the edge to play up to his workout numbers.   

• Like (+1) 3