Updates on Bills cuts

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Big C said:

Everyone is pre-programmed to expect little of this team. They are wrong. It still comes down to Allen taking that next step, but if he does, we are going to surprise a lot of people.

That's kind of my point. 

If Allen takes a step, their choices on OL and RB and WR prove to be in the right direction, shouldn't the team pretty much "look like they want it to look"?

But if Allen does not take a step, their OL remodel fizzles, and their RB and WR choices don't prove out, why would next year be expected to fix all that?

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So being competitive/one and done in the playoffs is the goal?   I thought it was the SB, myself.   Silly me...

Of course that's the goal. You are confusing fan/media expectations with a team's goal. 

No team goes into the season thinking they can't win the SB, nor works to that. It isn't like McDermott makes the playoffs and says, "Well, good enough" On to next year and doesn't try in each playoff game. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would be fine with that.

I would be fine with any record that's significantly better than 8-8 (10-6, 11-5 etc)

My point is just that if they haven't been able to remake the roster as they want it to be with 3 drafts and all the churn and cap space they had this year, why will next year be different?

It's hard to get to 10-6 and beyond.   The competition is fierce. 

I've been saying for a couple of seasons now that 2020 is the target year, the first year we should expect the Bills to be 10-6 or beyond.   2019 is possible.

As for rebuilding the roster, it's pretty clear that this season will be the first where the roster is fully theirs.   But that doesn't mean the roster is as good as they want it to be.   Even before the season starts, it seems clear to me that the Bills need an upgrade at receiver, an upgrade on the d line and probably an upgrade at linebacker.    McBeane may have a roster of their guys, in the sense that they all fit the McBeane mold, but although they may have the KIND of talent they want, they don't necessarily have the LEVEL of talent they want. 

On top of that, they're going with a second year QB.   2020 is Allen should play like a true franchise QB.  2019 there still will be some inexperience showing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I've been saying for a couple of seasons now that 2020 is the target year, the first year we should expect the Bills to be 10-6 or beyond.   2019 is possible.

As for rebuilding the roster, it's pretty clear that this season will be the first where the roster is fully theirs.   But that doesn't mean the roster is as good as they want it to be.   Even before the season starts, it seems clear to me that the Bills need an upgrade at receiver, an upgrade on the d line and probably an upgrade at linebacker.    McBeane may have a roster of their guys, in the sense that they all fit the McBeane mold, but although they may have the KIND of talent they want, they don't necessarily have the LEVEL of talent they want. 

On top of that, they're going with a second year QB.   2020 is Allen should play like a true franchise QB.  2019 there still will be some inexperience showing.  

I don't think it should be lost on anyone that next draft is supposed to be strong in WR, DE, and RB.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Uh-oh. I'm getting flashbacks.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's kind of my point. 

If Allen takes a step, their choices on OL and RB and WR prove to be in the right direction, shouldn't the team pretty much "look like they want it to look"?

But if Allen does not take a step, their OL remodel fizzles, and their RB and WR choices don't prove out, why would next year be expected to fix all that?

Totally. If the re-tooled OL doesn't do its job (especially if Morse stays healthy), Shady goes on to have a comeback season elsewhere while Gore and Singletary disappoint, etc. We would have to question Beane more so than claim "we just need one more year." We threw down some coin this year. Last year was the year Beane got a pass. This year we need results. I think Beane knows what's up, but it still comes down to the QB. 

Just now, cd1 said:

Devin Singletary, Frank Gore, TJ Yeldon, Senorise Perry, Christian Wade

Doubt we keep Wade... He impressed but he got very little time in preseason. Thinking just Gore, Singletary and Yeldon.

It would be stupid to have Wade on roster when he gives us an extra practice squad player

• Like (+1) 1